Unreal...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lobstman
buyin' gear

Unreal...

Post by lobstman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:02 am

I dropped in to see an acquaintance yesterday who is kinda like the Fred Sanford of pro audio. He was clapping his hands and grinning, and I knew he'd just made a major score. He'd just bought out a video production house and showed me piles of equipment including cameras, an Avid system, six (!) Wheatstone audio consoles ranging from six inputs to 20, racks of processing gear, patchbays, and boxes full of who knows what. The real prizes though were three Otari tape decks- an MX80 2" (24 track), and a pair of MTR10s- one 1/2", one 1/4". I didn't do more than look at the decks, but they seemed to have had little use.

He paid $2500 for all of it.

Bad economy=good deals.
Steve Albini used to like it

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:50 am

As I recently told Mark Rubel about one of his purchases (albeit much lessor than this one), I hate [him]...
"It's not a recording studio without a lava lamp"
~Mark Rubel

"Don't meddle in the affairs of a patent dragon, for thou art tasty and good with ketchup." ~ohcrapitssteve

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:24 am

aitikin wrote:As I recently told Mark Rubel about one of his purchases (albeit much lessor than this one), I hate [him]...
If I didnt know better, I would think Mark voted for Reagan so he could have a recession just to be able to buy pultecs for 50 dollars....
;)

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:58 pm

joel hamilton wrote:
aitikin wrote:As I recently told Mark Rubel about one of his purchases (albeit much lessor than this one), I hate [him]...
If I didnt know better, I would think Mark voted for Reagan so he could have a recession just to be able to buy pultecs for 50 dollars....
;)
Mark Rubel the evil genious!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:35 pm

I always wonder how people "find" these deals..

like, their hanging out at the bar.. "so yeah, this video production company is going under.. wanna go in on buying a shit ton of gear?"

i must be hanging out at the wrong bars.. cause all i can find is cocaine and trouble for sale.

however, the other day at the bus stop, i heard a lady next to me tell her friend... "last night, i read on the cat fancy web board...." then the bus pulled up and it was too loud to hear what she found out on the cat fancy bulletin board.

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:40 pm

I'm sure it was something catty...

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:53 pm

trodden wrote:I always wonder how people "find" these deals..

like, their hanging out at the bar.. "so yeah, this video production company is going under.. wanna go in on buying a shit ton of gear?"

i must be hanging out at the wrong bars.. cause all i can find is cocaine and trouble for sale.

however, the other day at the bus stop, i heard a lady next to me tell her friend... "last night, i read on the cat fancy web board...." then the bus pulled up and it was too loud to hear what she found out on the cat fancy bulletin board.
junk stores, pawn shops, and government auctions are a good place to start. 8)

scott macdonald
takin' a dinner break

Post by scott macdonald » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:34 am

I totally scored Pultec for 50 bucks from some sucker on the Cat Fancy bulletin board.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:28 am

I scored a pultec from som fancy cat on the tape op board.

I think I am gonna start looking around here for some places going under. Gotta be something better to do with my lie savings than wait for it to disapear.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

lobstman
buyin' gear

Post by lobstman » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:16 am

In this guy's case, he's been the go-to guy around here for this sort of thing for 25 years. Earlier the same week he liquidated a nightclub, he's got an EV KF750 rig from another one parked in a truck out back. I told you, he's the rock & roll Fred Sanford!

And speaking of Cat Fancy, I had to bring a cat into the Vet ER a couple years ago. I'll read anything, so I picked up Cat Fancy in the waiting room. It had an article by Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull (about cats, not Pultecs).
Steve Albini used to like it

FlowersForHuman
takin' a dinner break

Post by FlowersForHuman » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:03 am

lol

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:50 am

Why is it that these days all the places I know of that are going under are run by dudes who think that they're going to get five times market value for all their broken shit?

(Not that I haven't gotten some great deals in the past.)

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:57 am

I have definetly experienced that! Or the ones that wnat 10% less than new retail!
How about compusa when they were liquidated. Their "deals" weren't any better than neweggs regular prices!
Except maybe on the macs. Wish I could have bought a mac tower, they had one for $1200.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:16 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:my lie savings
You've got one of those too! I thought I was the only one!
I must be hanging out at the wrong bars.. cause all i can find is cocaine and trouble for sale.
I'm having trouble deciding which part of this post should be my new signature. :lol:
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".