Best Sounding Snare Sound EVER

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:03 am

That video is very, very cool. I could see using a 'kit' like that to simulate the crate-digging hip hop aesthetic with a real drummer. By far the best example of what I would call a tasteful large drum kit.

I'll post something Soul Coughing related in the next day or two.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:25 pm

thanks man. i really like the idea of having some weird/crappy/tuned funny/whatever drums exactly for that sorta live drummer hip hop thing. but yunno, playing that monstrosity yesterday confirmed that i just cannot deal with playing a big kit at all. i feel like the more pieces i add, the worse my ideas get.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:49 pm

I'd love some Soul Coughing stories. I was actually at Sunset when they were working on El Oso. Very cool setup to see. Nothing too weird about the drumkit at the time, though. Pretty normal Tchad Blake stuff.

By the way, guys, I just got a master back from More Space Echo done in his new room and let me say that the man KNOWS what he's doing. This is one of those rare times when I've been really EXCITED about the mastering job on a particular record, not just happy. Scott's mastered a few things for me in the past and they've always been great, but he NAILED the daylights out of this one. I pretty much felt the same way when I ogt back from Abbey Road or got my first Greg Calbi master back.

Nice work, sir!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:18 pm

cgarges wrote:I'd love some Soul Coughing stories. I was actually at Sunset when they were working on El Oso. Very cool setup to see. Nothing too weird about the drumkit at the time, though. Pretty normal Tchad Blake stuff.

By the way, guys, I just got a master back from More Space Echo done in his new room and let me say that the man KNOWS what he's doing. This is one of those rare times when I've been really EXCITED about the mastering job on a particular record, not just happy. Scott's mastered a few things for me in the past and they've always been great, but he NAILED the daylights out of this one. I pretty much felt the same way when I ogt back from Abbey Road or got my first Greg Calbi master back.

Nice work, sir!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Great to hear! Over the years I've gotten to know scott and lucky enough to hang out with him while in town awhile back. I trust his many answers to my many many questions over the years and hope to eventually use him as a mastering resource as well.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:17 pm

y'all are sweethearts.

the truth is, the record chris sent me sounded so good i couldn't actually think of anything to do. i just sent it back on a shinier disc than it came in on.

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:21 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:jim seems to be ignoring our requests for soul coughing stories. so here's this in the meanwhile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2XeUvSmxhE

every snare in the house, plus a few extra toms, a hat and a resonant kick for good measure. and a cowbell.
triumph!

made my day, thanks man.
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

Neal
gettin' sounds

Post by Neal » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:42 am

Gentleman Jim wrote:I like ice cream. Breyer's Vanilla Fudge Twirl is my favorite.
Their microphones are even better than their ice cream. Point a Breyerdynamic ribbon into a bowl of fudge twirl and fire a .50 cal. Sharps buffalo rifle in a 3 story stairway. Then use another Breyerdynamic vanilla fudge twirl to capture the sound of the bullet hitting the buffalo which is positioned on the second floor for a fat slapback. This is how they got the drum sound for When The Levee Breaks. You can then take the skin of the buffalo you killed and make a head for your snare drum. Fill the snare partially with buffalo meat and use that to trigger a sample of the drummer farting. The fart has to be recorded with a C12 or this won't work. Reamp the fart through a Fuzz Face (germanium, not silicon) into a JTM45. This can then be recorded with a mic made out of the ear of the buffalo, or an SM57, whichever is handier. Monitor this through your monitors, then mic the monitors and record that onto 2" tape, using all 16 inputs for this one source. Then, presto! Quick and easy great snare sound if you don't have a bunch of snare drums to throw at a Slingerland like Morespaceecho (who totally wins btw).

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:31 pm

Lemme point out he "won" well over a year ago. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:04 pm

In any given calendar year, the best snare sound comes from using a bass drum instead. Mike it with as many microphones as possible, but run it through the pre-amp in a Crosley CR72-OA Stack-O-Matic ( see here--http://www.sortprice.com/search-MC-WalM ... eo_Systems ; scroll to middle of page).

But don't actually track those mikes (that's just for vibe, and to psyche-up the drummer). Use an orange traffic cone to funnel the sound directly into a mono hand-held digital recorder (available from Walgreen's for about $59.99). Tranfer this via the on-board speaker into a Panasonic cassette player. Only record a 60-second sample.

Open the cassette tape on a work table, and use a butter knife to carefully cut out the section that has the best "snare" sample. Use duct-tape to affix this directly onto an old IBM computer punch-card. If you don't have duct-tape or punch-cards, you can make your own using the back of a cereal box and some molasses mixed with Elmer's glue.

This is without a doubt the best way to do it. Everything will sound warmer this way.

GJ

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:22 am

:lol:

Did you post that before or after the tavern?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:06 am

ah, this thread again. some of my finest work.

*rests on laurels*

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:54 am

"Ta-Vern?" What's a tavern?

GJ

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:31 pm

neal does get points for "breyerdynamic".

also, let the record show that gentleman jim still has yet to pony up any soul coughing stories for us.

and being rarely serious for a moment here, i just mastered a record for drew waters ('drewbass' on here) that might indeed have the best sounding snare ever. garges' bands' new record is chock full of awesome snares too, but i dunno if i'm allowed to talk about that yet.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:33 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:"Ta-Vern?" What's a tavern?

GJ
Serious?

A bar. See here for a cool history.

It's a word we use in Chicago a lot.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:12 pm

No vvv, not serious... I thought they invented the tavern in Buffalo; no?

GJ