Best Sounding Snare Sound EVER

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

nopenopenope
gettin' sounds

Post by nopenopenope » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:14 pm

Dave Watkins wrote:and if you stick a contact mic on the chest of the drummer before you shoot him, you can get a really sick bass drum sound too. i shit you not.
i just got my wisdom teeth out today - to give you an idea of how crappy i'm feeling right now....

but the above quote: i LOL'd so very hard. thank you, good sir. thank you. i might have busted a stitch...

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:56 pm

reamped triggered gunshots are soooo 80s.

just point a gun at the drummer.
And pointing a gun at the drummer is so phil spector!
myspace.com/blackdiscoballstudio/

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:01 am

touche.

tomberdude
pushin' record

Post by tomberdude » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:30 pm

dwlb wrote:* loads Wilhelm scream into sampler, keys off snare track *
Better late than never, +1. Career Suicide is such an awesome album. I defy anyone to listen to "The Horse" and walk away with their previous definition of music still completely intact.

-rl

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

Post by mixedupsteve » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:40 pm

OK I tried everything,

I got some sand (white) and poured all around the kit.
Then I shot the drummer.
Then I stirred the blood into the sand and smeared it on all the drums.
Then I got the guitar players ex girlfriend to play the drums.

Awesome!!

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:19 pm

oh this thread just fills me with holiday cheer! hope i didn't actually make you bust a stitch josh, getting the wisdom teeth out can be a bitch, but i am glad to bring a laugh to the situation!

in other news i have given up my quest to suck less at playing the drums for the time being because i am in fear for my life.
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:13 pm

and if you stick a contact mic on the chest of the drummer before you shoot him, you can get a really sick bass drum sound too. i shit you not.
I'm really anxious to try this technique, but I have limited knowledge about and access to guns. What kind of gun should I use? Does it have to be an expensive gun or will any old thing do?

I do teen death metal jazz mixed with country if that helps any.

Please respond right away as we are right in the middle of a 2" cassette project and need all the help we can get.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

nopenopenope
gettin' sounds

Post by nopenopenope » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:07 pm

dsw wrote:
and if you stick a contact mic on the chest of the drummer before you shoot him, you can get a really sick bass drum sound too. i shit you not.
I'm really anxious to try this technique, but I have limited knowledge about and access to guns. What kind of gun should I use? Does it have to be an expensive gun or will any old thing do?

Please respond right away as we are right in the middle of a 2" cassette project and need all the help we can get.
furthermore, what kind of bullets do you use? hollow point? armor piercing? buck shot? what gets the best THUD? i mean, everyone knows the Howitzer is the best if budget is a null word, but what about for project studios?

and thanks for the kind words. stitches all in place and don't look too much like a chipmunk. i'll be glad when this week is done!

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:25 pm

Um..Hey, I know it?s Christmas and all, but I really need somebody?s help. I was reading all this great drum capture stuff so I forwarded it to the guys and, inspired, we got together for a quick jam and, long story short Stevey, our drummer, is dead. His girlfreind got all bug eyed and said she was going outside for a smoke, and.. well, Detective Cagney says we?re about 150k short our collective bail until the arraignment. He is sympathetic to our cause ( bass player) and let me use his web connection, but said most normal people don?t understand musicians and creative types and that we?ll most likely get manslaughter. It was worth it and all, but damn, this is gonna be harsh.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:47 am

shedshrine wrote:Um..Hey, I know it?s Christmas and all, but I really need somebody?s help. I was reading all this great drum capture stuff so I forwarded it to the guys and, inspired, we got together for a quick jam and, long story short Stevey, our drummer, is dead. His girlfreind got all bug eyed and said she was going outside for a smoke, and.. well, Detective Cagney says we?re about 150k short our collective bail until the arraignment. He is sympathetic to our cause ( bass player) and let me use his web connection, but said most normal people don?t understand musicians and creative types and that we?ll most likely get manslaughter. It was worth it and all, but damn, this is gonna be harsh.
How did it sound?? Can you make a sample of it??
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:02 am

JoshSites wrote:
dsw wrote:

furthermore, what kind of bullets do you use? hollow point? armor piercing? buck shot? what gets the best THUD? i mean, everyone knows the Howitzer is the best if budget is a null word, but what about for project studios?

and thanks for the kind words. stitches all in place and don't look too much like a chipmunk. i'll be glad when this week is done!
Ok, I think I can help. I ran my dad's ranch for 20 years. Killed all sorts of critters.

For Teen Death Metal Jazz mixed with Country, you will need the following gun, and ammo:

The Winchester Model 1894 rifle. preferably an older model, which will not waver or even care what you're shooting at. Incredibly accurate at any range up to 1200 feet, so if the critter runs, it still can't get away. Scope optional. If it's good enough for Calvin Coolidge, Dwight Eisenhower and Harry S Truman, it sure is enough for you.

The 30-30 ammunition. this is what goes into above rifle. Please use the proper ammunition, according to the weight of the critter you are going to shoot. 125 grain up to 170 grain (that is the weight of the bullet). I estimate you will be better off getting the 170 grain, as it is more accurate at longer distances, say after you scare the critters herd away after the first shot. Also, you might try a blunt tip bullet, for more impact. this will help in the sound acquisition, as you won't have to EQ the drum sound as much.

Here's a useful link :

http://ezinearticles.com/?Winchester-30 ... id=1398668

Oh in case you ask, NO you may not use mine...

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Rabbit
ass engineer

Post by Rabbit » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:00 am

noeqplease wrote:
JoshSites wrote:
dsw wrote:

Ok, I think I can help. I ran my dad's ranch for 20 years. Killed all sorts of critters.

For Teen Death Metal Jazz mixed with Country, you will need the following gun, and ammo:

The Winchester Model 1894 rifle. preferably an older model, which will not waver or even care what you're shooting at. Incredibly accurate at any range up to 1200 feet, so if the critter runs, it still can't get away. Scope optional. If it's good enough for Calvin Coolidge, Dwight Eisenhower and Harry S Truman, it sure is enough for you.

The 30-30 ammunition. this is what goes into above rifle. Please use the proper ammunition, according to the weight of the critter you are going to shoot. 125 grain up to 170 grain (that is the weight of the bullet). I estimate you will be better off getting the 170 grain, as it is more accurate at longer distances, say after you scare the critters herd away after the first shot. Also, you might try a blunt tip bullet, for more impact. this will help in the sound acquisition, as you won't have to EQ the drum sound as much.

Here's a useful link :

Cheers
I had really good luck using a .50 cal Sharps buffalo rifle from the 1860's with this technique. It really added that vintage vibe so many are seemingly willing to die for... and the sound was HUGE!

Jess P
takin' a dinner break

Post by Jess P » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:47 pm

Rabbit wrote:
noeqplease wrote:
JoshSites wrote:
dsw wrote:

Here's a useful link :

Cheers
I had really good luck using a .50 cal Sharps buffalo rifle from the 1860's with this technique. It really added that vintage vibe so many are seemingly willing to die for... and the sound was HUGE!
This is just getting stupid complicated. What ever happened to simply using whatever guns and mics you have and just shooting drummers and recording it? Because when it comes down to it, no matter what fancy bullets you use, if the performance sucks, the end result will suck. If you know what your doing you can get an amazing recording with only a .22 and a 57. I shit YOU not.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:21 am

Tide Recording wrote: What ever happened to simply using whatever guns and mics you have and just shooting drummers and recording it?
i laughed so hard.

lost in the discussion of how to best record a dying drummer is shedshine's post above. i would think a tight-knit community like the TOMB would want to help a brother out. so we've either gotta come up with 150 large (seems unlikely) or break them outta jail.

i'll put coffee on, you guys come up with a plan.

masonpitzel
alignin' 24-trk

Post by masonpitzel » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:51 am

To hell with all this "shoot the drummer" nonsense. The gunshot may help fill out the sound of the kit, and accentuate the kick and floor tom, but this thread is about getting the perfect snare sound. Five words:

FILL. THE. SNARE. WITH. JELLO.