Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Harry
re-cappin' neve

1x15 bass cab?

Post by Harry » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:38 am

I need some help picking the right 1x15
So many choices????

The main use right now would be as an extension cab for my swr baby blue 180 watts 2x8 with a 5"tweater
But I would like it to be a good all arounder if I ever pick up another head with more power

Here are some examples of what I'm looking at

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com ... sku=600588

This looks nice,but a little $alty
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SVT15E/

I don't really want a tweater but if it can be turned off it would be OK
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WorkPro115cab/

Then there's this place that makes cabinets
http://www.lopoline.com/1X15BassCabs.html

about $200 for a cab and about $200 for a speaker would be in the ballpark of what I want to spend

Favorite 15" bass speakers?

so many choices..????...I'm better a guitar stuff
Thanks

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:40 am

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:05 am

Doesn't look like they make a 15"?

I know 12"s are popular now...but I want a 15 for that "drop"
I have the mids more than covered with the 2x8

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:11 am

Holy crap, you're right. They used to. I've had mine for about 8 years and I love it. It's basically just a ported cabinet with an Eminence driver. I can't remember which type of Eminence though.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:05 pm

I have been loving the ear candy and aguilar cabinets.
We have a custom made 15" cab modeled after the portaflex, but with a big old EV driver in there that sounds great.
I have recorded a zillion records with that single 15".
The aguilar stuff is really great.

creeping justin
ass engineer

Post by creeping justin » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:28 pm

check out dr. bass cabs, made by hand, reasonably priced. you just might have to wait a month or so to have yours built.

www.drbasscabs.com

Sounds like a DRB 115 LF is what yr looking for - $379. they'll build custom cabs too. you can get some more opinions over at talkbass.com.

+1 on the aggies

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:41 pm

recent ampeg is garbage. Older ampeg was good, but they have never been known for their 15s. That fender cab looks kinda wussy to me. Shallow depth front to back ways.
I am a big fan of Mesa Boogie stuff. If you can find one of their single 15" cabs used those are awesome. they get very loud and deep.
Also keep an eye peeled for Bagend 15" or 18". Those are awesome cabs, and very small too.
Some folks may scoff at this, but Peavey 15" cabs are not crap at all. Esp the older USA made ones that are more solid. I used to like to use old Peavey PA sub horns for bass. I used to have a mid-bass 2x12" horn that killed.
Or take the easy way out and get a SWR 15. Its always nice to have a rig that matches!
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:14 pm

The Orange 1x15 is really nice. Weighty but not muddy.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:27 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:I am a big fan of Mesa Boogie stuff. If you can find one of their single 15" cabs used those are awesome. they get very loud and deep.
+1 on this. IMHO one of the best bass cabs ever built. Extremely punchy sounding. Very small, yet one could play a large venue with just one (if you had enough juice in yer head).

I've had two different ones over the years, both kicked ass.

One cautionary note: if (like me) you have girlyman tendencies, beware the model that is built into a flight case. It is heavy as shit and you look like a fool struggling to lift and carry what looks like a puny little cabinet. If you get that one, at least get some wheels.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Post by lionaudio » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:30 pm

emperor cabs are great.. as are mesa, ear candy, electric, and EV.. that being said, I use a sunn 2x15 as well as a trace elliot single 15 all with Eminence Omega's in them.. the Omega's are great.. the trace cabinets are probably the most indestructible cab's I've ever seen.. unfortunately their amps are not..

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:54 am

Thanks everyone...lots of food for thought here

The Earcandy people are just down the street. very cool people! good to see them getting some play up in the big cities:)

manganeech
alignin' 24-trk

Post by manganeech » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:45 am

the Bag End single 15"s are a truly excellent option. they come with or without a coaxial tweeter. Very well made and sound really balanced played loud or soft. They come up on Ebay regularly and retain their value well over time.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:02 am

I've got one of those old EV cabinets like Stanley Clarke used in the 70's: one 15" with a little 3" midrange driver. Pretty nice sound, and you can turn off the midrange driver.

Here's a picture of somebody else's:

Actually, I've been meaning to try to sell it, since I don't play (bass) out any more.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:51 am

Scodiddly wrote:I've got one of those old EV cabinets like Stanley Clarke used in the 70's: one 15" with a little 3" midrange driver. Pretty nice sound, and you can turn off the midrange driver.

Actually, I've been meaning to try to sell it, since I don't play (bass) out any more.
When I first saw Primus (the old band with Todd Huth). Les played a couple of those cabs with a modified ADA MP1. I know because I grilled him on his odd gear after the show!
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:15 pm

Scodiddly wrote:I've got one of those old EV cabinets like Stanley Clarke used in the 70's: one 15" with a little 3" midrange driver. Pretty nice sound, and you can turn off the midrange driver.

That's pretty cool looking

PM me if you want to sell it