How do I find out bit depth and sample rate?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

How do I find out bit depth and sample rate?

Post by lionaudio » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:19 pm

I'm running logic pro8 on a mac g5. I recently was given 42 tracks on a dvd to mix for a band who didn't like the original, with no notes at all.. I dropped the wav. files into logic and on playback it is suuuuper slow.. it's actually a very cool doom metal song like this but I don't think they will be too happy if i return it like that.. how do i determine the original bit depth and sample rate so I can get to work on this?

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:52 pm

I don't know about a Mac, but on a PC, you just right click the file and select 'properties'.

Doesn't logic have a 'convert file to project' thing-a-ma-job?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:59 pm

ProTools tells you the sample rate/bit depth when you select a file to import it. I would imagine Logic would do something similar.

And if it doesn't, it should.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:10 pm

Well you don't have too many options do you? If it's super slow and you're currently in 44.1 I'm willing to bet it was tracked at 96khz. It could be 88.2 but my gut says 96...

So you should be able to change the project sample rate, DON'T let it convert your audio files...they're fine, you just need the DAW to play them at the right rate.

In Nuendo this is done by changing the sample rate in the "Project" dialog, I have no clue about logic.
Everything louder than everything else.

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Post by lionaudio » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:22 pm

yup it's at 96... my main problem was that ive only used logic for a few months so im not that familiar with changing things around in the program itself.. it took me forever to figure out how to change the sample rate in each song.. so i've actually been recording everything at 44.1 16 bit!!!!!! i for some reason thought that it was set to default 24 bit.. and amazingly enough i dont think the work that ive done with it sounds bad at all at 16 bit... anyway, thanks.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:41 pm

How about the Logic manual?
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:00 pm

ipressrecord wrote:How about the Logic manual?
Makes a great doorstop, paper weight, or tinder. If you have it only in PDF format, then I can't see a use for it at all. Oh, you could use it as a bandwidth test file.

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Post by lionaudio » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:17 pm

ipressrecord wrote:How about the Logic manual?
I only have the PDF version.. helpful concerning some things but not very when it comes to changing things within logic.. it helped me learn how to use automation so in my opinion it great

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:20 am

The PDF version is the exact same thing as the books. And remember, there are two of them. I had a guy complain to me about how the PDF version of the manual didn't say anything about the plug-ins. How do you miss that? It's right there under the main one in the menu.

To the OP: You know you can search words and phrases in PDF's, right? And if you really get stumped, you can go to the index and just click on the word, it will take you directly to the page.

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:11 am

farview wrote:I don't know about a Mac, but on a PC, you just right click the file and select 'properties'.

This works on XP not on Vista, there are not many things that bother me about vista that's one of the biggest.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:49 am

mattwhritenour wrote:
farview wrote:I don't know about a Mac, but on a PC, you just right click the file and select 'properties'.

This works on XP not on Vista, there are not many things that bother me about vista that's one of the biggest.
I understand why M-soft wants to dumb things down and make them easier for people who aren't computer savy to use, but I don't get why they make it impossible to get file information. The thing that drives me nuts is when they make it hard to display the suffix of the file name. My wife uses Open Office and keeps saving files as the open office file instead of a doc file. So she ends up with a hard drive full of documents with the same name but different document types. I can't figure out how to get Vista to display the full name...Stupid, stupid, stupid!

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

kl

Post by jeddypoo » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:00 pm

Is your A/D converter capable of running things at 96K? Cause if it's not, useless discussion anyway. I haven't recorded at fancy sample rates for a long time but I seem to recall that if I set the Audiofire to run at 96, Logic would automatically detect it. But try "project setup" or something in the second drop down list from the left.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Re: kl

Post by lionaudio » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:25 am

jeddypoo wrote:Is your A/D converter capable of running things at 96K? Cause if it's not, useless discussion anyway. I haven't recorded at fancy sample rates for a long time but I seem to recall that if I set the Audiofire to run at 96, Logic would automatically detect it. But try "project setup" or something in the second drop down list from the left.
yes i can run at up to 96k. I've since learned how to change all of my settings in logic so it's all good. i don't know why they recorded this at 96, I hate it. I hear absolutely no difference in anything recorded at high sample rates unless it is orchestral. I can maybe hear a bit more "air" around things on this track, but to make things even better, the engineer who did this slammed the fuck out of the input, leaving me no headroom, and they wondered why his mix sounded so choked out. Oh well, it's a paying gig so I'm doing my best with what they gave me. Thanks to all for the tips

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

kh

Post by jeddypoo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:12 pm

Yeah, the tendency to turn everything up digitally instead of just using THE VOLUME KNOB is egregious. Like when I sometimes do sort of cheapo mastering for friend's bands, I tell them "PLEASE give me a quiet mix. If it's already peaking at -1 there's not a lot I can do to it to make it 'mastery'." People don't understand the concept of digital headroom. I'm sure I'm not being terribly eloquent about it either, but at least I know that a quiet mix sounds better and makes mastering easier.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:04 pm

farview wrote:The thing that drives me nuts is when they make it hard to display the suffix of the file name. My wife uses Open Office and keeps saving files as the open office file instead of a doc file. So she ends up with a hard drive full of documents with the same name but different document types. I can't figure out how to get Vista to display the full name...Stupid, stupid, stupid!
http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/04/29/ho ... ows-vista/