Sony DAT deck problem

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Sony DAT deck problem

Post by Judas Jetski » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:06 pm

I've got a Sony DAT machine that came to me because it had trouble reading timecode. When I first tried it out it read timecode fine (and still does), but the signal it passes is very distorted.

I called our local tech and he suggested that I try cleaning the heads before bringing it in. I'm game (what have I got to lose?) but the more I look into the method of cleaning a DAT deck, the more nervous I get. For one thing, I can't find any good specific information on cleaning a DAT deck. I guess I'm supposed to clean it "just like a VCR," but I'm not finding that many good resources about cleaning a VCR either. I tried looking up how to clean a DA-88/38/78/98/whatever8, and all I found was some very scary stuff... (Only rotate the drum counterclockwise! Use special wipes! Don't use a Q-tip, even a lint-free Q-tip!)

It seems to me like I could probably just pop the thing open, go in there with a (good) cotton swab and some alcohol, not be stupid, and clean up the tape path. I mean, how hard can it be? And yet... the more I read, the less likely this looks.

So OK, what do I do here? Is there some special way to clean this thing, or should I just be careful and not do anything obviously dumb? I really need to get this thing resolved, one way or the other. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ladewd » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:38 am

Don't be afraid. Don't use q-tips. Get something called a tech (or text) wipe. Load it with alcohol, and spin the head, I go clockwise. Some video machines generaly go counter clockwise, but I think DATs go clockwise. It reall doesn't matter. Apply the tech wipe with alcohol and spin the head around but don't put too much force on the protruding heads on the drum. Its better to use more alcohol than more pressure on the heads. Give it a good 5-10 minutes for all the alcohol to evaporate so the humidity sensors don''t prevent it from going into play.

Timecode is stored in the sub-code data on the RF signal on tape. If you can't read code, I would imagine your audio is throwing off errors like crazy.

Cary

wkrbee
pushin' record

Post by wkrbee » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:33 pm

NONONO.Don't use TECH wipes.They are WAY too coarse to use on a DAT or DA series machine.They also have little snags that catch the heads and damage/knock out of alignment.The heads are suspended in the gap of the upper drum assy.
ANY UP/DOWN MOTION OF THE CLEANING CLOTH WHILE IN CONTACT WITH THE HEADS WILL TURN THE DRUM ASSY INTO A VERY EXPENSIVE PAPERWEIGHT.
DAT drums run COUNTERCLOCKWISE.
Use a clean lint free cloth,91% or greater alcohol.Gently put the cloth in contact with the drum assy between the heads.Rotate counterclockwise,DON'T SPIN.Remove the cloth when it in NOT in contact with the heads.You can clean the guides with a q-tip,just make sure there is no debris from the Q tips after you clean. Don't let alcohol run down the capstan shaft in tp the motor.Not responsible if you screw it up :)
If you are unsure,let someone who has the experience do it.
The problem with this forum is people respond somrtimes without REALLY knwing what they are talking about.Take it all with a" Grain of salt".

Jim
Grandpa sez"common sense ain't that common"

wkrbee
pushin' record

Post by wkrbee » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:41 pm

As the head wears it get a "set " to it.The leading edge rounds off and the trailing edge tapers to a point.If the drum is rotated the wrong,(clockwise), directions,the cleaning media can snag and damage the heads.
I have serviced literally hundreds of DAT and DA series machines.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:32 am

If I'm not to use a tech wipe, what's OK? Old, lint-free T-shirt? (That sounds like a joke, and it should, but I'm half serious too. I've had great luck with lint-free t-shirts in other applications. ;))

Good advices, thanks guys! They sound completely contradictory, but they kind of aren't... you know, in a "keep it between the yellow line and the white line and you'll probably be OK" kinda way. I got the DAT deck free, so it's not like I have a lot to lose. I still don't want to screw it up, but my world won't come crashing down around me if I do.

www.andysmash.com

ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ladewd » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:55 am

The problem with this forum is people respond somrtimes without REALLY knwing what they are talking about.Take it all with a" Grain of salt".
Well, as far as tech wipes go, I've been cleaning helical scan machines for going on 30 years now, including the 25 years I spent working for Sony fixing those damn DAT machines, If you have a light touch and are careful, they work fine. I know Tascam markets a very fine cotton cloth which is excellent, but extremely expensive. To each his own I guess. As far as being accused of giving advice without knowing what I am saying, I believe you're just another internet ego out there.

Cary[/quote]

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:51 am

I've got a selection of "record wipes," cloths which came with a reel-to-reel tape deck I bought a couple years ago. I'm assuming they've gotta be pretty much lint-free, seeing as how they're designed to pull dust out of record grooves or something. D'you suppose one of those would work?

www.andysmash.com

ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ladewd » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:30 am

Cut a small piece of a very fine bed sheet and it will be as close to the "recommended" cloth that Tascam recommends to clean DA-88 drums as the real thing. The important part is use more alcohol and not a lot of pressure.

I work for a video facility now, and I'm known for cleaning drums while they're spinning (with tech wipes). I wouldn't recommend this to a beginner, but I haven''t lost a head yet.

CA

wkrbee
pushin' record

Post by wkrbee » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:24 am

ladewd.Techwipes work great for video decks.Their heads are huge compared to DAT or DA series machines.The "Tascam cloth" is not cotton .It is silk or poly woven.A single sheet is about $10.That's"expensive"? Cut it into small pieces, use once and throw away.You can get 50+pieces out of one sheet.
Internet ego?
I feel that I am qualified-how about 20 yrs.+ at the place that made DA series machines,trained service stations around the WORLD to service,and still service? And have seen lots of machines damaged using Techwipes.
I rarely respond to questions on this forum.Your rude,personal, and unprofessional response tells me I should not-and shows the level of Internet egos out there.I'll think twice about supporting someone on this forum if I have to deal with "know-it-alls",who can't be held responsible if someone screws up their machine following your advice. I stand by my comment that everything you read here should be taken with a grain of salt.

ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ladewd » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:31 pm

i apologize for being rude. Though you've been working on these machines for as long as I have, with proper care, I have never destroyed a DA88 or DAT machine's heads using tech wipes. Lets leave it at that. I do have a stash of the Tascam cloth where I work but I always grab whatever it is that's handy. I've used tech wipes on DATs DA-88's and DVCAMs for years with no ill effects. I don't think the heads get much smaller than DVCAMS. Please don't let my arrogance stop you from helping anyone here, because, quite frankly, I've been criticized for my advice here also. I have also stopped hanging out here for the very same reason. Lets just call a truce OK? I'll keep my mouth shut from now on.

CA