Your favorite kick drum condenser, and where you point it

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

losthighway
resurrected

Your favorite kick drum condenser, and where you point it

Post by losthighway » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:09 am

We've been here before, but I've just been thinking about using two mic setups on a kick drum again after a couple years of leaning towards a single dynamic. Neumans aside what condenser do you like on your kick and where do you often point it?

Pgraf
audio school graduate

Post by Pgraf » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:46 am

used an 87 before but if your asking what else i have used, ive used a rode k2(not a huge fan of it) but it rocked on the particular kick i was recording. I usually point it straight at the hole if the kick has one and put it about where the wave of the kick falls off, just use your had to feel where the air wave disappears. sometimes with and sometimes with out a kick tunnel. Ive also used one of the new AKG214's havent got around to mixing that or really giving a listen to the project the guy i was recording decided he really didnt like that song anyway.
"Aaron, i think the left side of your mustache is 1dB louder the the right."

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:58 am

I like the AT 4047 a bit off center getting some tone from the front head of the BD.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:42 pm

drumsound wrote:I like the AT 4047 a bit off center getting some tone from the front head of the BD.
+1
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:47 pm

drumsound wrote:I like the AT 4047 a bit off center getting some tone from the front head of the BD.
That's my first try location, but I like the Soundelux U195. I rarely use the "fat" selection. Just straight up normal response and maybe padded down.
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:22 pm

Yet another thing to add to my list of reasons an AT 4047 is a good mic to have around.

So you mean you like it outside of the front head and not straight in the middle, but closer to the rim of the drum?

NeglectedFred
pushin' record

Post by NeglectedFred » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:06 pm

The coolest sound I ever got with a condensor on a kick was an MC012 on the beater side with an omni cap. It had a very scooped feel. Very responsive on the upper mids to highs, and pretty much nothing between that and the lower sub freqs - like 60Hz-ish..

Slappy and Subbie..

It didn't end up working for the mix, so I didn't use it, but for something along thelines of hip-hop, it would probably be the perfect thing.
I eat glue.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:44 pm

losthighway wrote:Yet another thing to add to my list of reasons an AT 4047 is a good mic to have around.

So you mean you like it outside of the front head and not straight in the middle, but closer to the rim of the drum?
Halfway-ish between middle and the rim for a decent starting point.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:58 pm

I've had good results with a Shinybox ribbon before. (I know it's not what was asked but I'm bored and lonely and crying out for attention.)

Anyhoo, it was maybe a foot away pointed at a 45 degree angle downward to where the rim meets the head. I think Royer mentions aiming it this way for a ribbon.
It sounded fine. Good low end.
I wonder how much the bi pattern played into the sound. I hadn't thought about it.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

Mudcloth
steve albini likes it

Post by Mudcloth » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:06 pm

drumsound wrote:
losthighway wrote:Yet another thing to add to my list of reasons an AT 4047 is a good mic to have around.

I do pretty much the same thing. I place it so half the diaphragm is in front of the hole and the other half is catching the head. Works good for me through my Hamptone JFET.
Matt Giles
Austin, Tx

http://www.mattguitargiles.com
http://www.myspace.com/mattguitargiles
http://www.thedrakesband.com/

How much is a stamp? I'll buy the goddamn stamp.

Dave Stanley
pushin' record

Post by Dave Stanley » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:08 am

How far back are you guys placing the mics off the front head?

I usually place a 4050 about 3 feet back, which gets a lot room and snare bleed.
I'm thinking my next session will have it right up to the drum.

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:15 am

I often use a Bluebird as a kick mic... usually 3 feet or so back, pointed at the hole and under a tunnel of moving blankets. Gives a lot of the more tone and shell than a close dynamic seems to get.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:07 am

drumsound wrote:

Same placement and I used to favor my 4047 (which is great there) but now I use my Blue Mouse into my EH12AY preamp and I am loving the sound. I usually have it pretty close, maybe a couple of inches back and angled down slightly.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:40 am

How far back off the head do you set the 4047 when you use it?

I've been thinking about using mine for kick lately, just to try something different.

creeping justin
ass engineer

Post by creeping justin » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:28 pm

love the 4047 on kick. i start with it about 6" off and work backwards until i find the sound we're looking for... 3' feet back is about as far as i'll go.