Opinioins Of The CAD TRION7000 Dual-element Ribbon Mic??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Opinioins Of The CAD TRION7000 Dual-element Ribbon Mic??

Post by Derrick » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:38 am

Any opinions of the CAD Mics TRION7000 Dual-element Ribbon Microphone?? Nothing special? Cheap junk? Pretty good ribbon? Better option in the general price class?
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:19 pm

I like it, but I pretty much only use it for one thing - electric guitar, paired with a Trion 6000 (or sometimes a CAD E100SE). I'm a CAD fan.

The only other ribbon I've had a chance to work with is the Royer R-121, which I've used exactly twice for a total of 90 minutes, so I can't make any meaningful comparisons for you.

By itself, it isn't much to write home about, but blended with another mic (as above) it gives me the midrange detail I need. That's what I like about CAD in general (the mics I use, anyway) - the midrange.

Lots of fans of the Cascade Fathead here - maybe someone will chime in on that (or do a search). It's a little less expensive to boot.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:00 pm

I have a pair of them....I think my Fathead gets more use but I don't think it's a bad mic or sounds cheap. I've used it on electric guitar, drum overhead and some vocals. It was good. Maybe not the best ribbon I own but I'd take it over a Nady or something a little lower price. The Fathead sounds a little brighter in comparison.
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:42 pm

Cad Trion is a dual ribbon design. Fatheads are a shorter single ribbon design.

More info here:

http://recordinghacks.com/2008/11/01/ch ... e-designs/

I have an oktava ML-52 which is also a dual ribbon design... It's definitly a funky color mic. I use it along with an SM7 or and AT4050 on guitar amps with great success. It's also a really great vocal mic if you plan on distorting the vocal track... very smooth overdriven sound.
Everything louder than everything else.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:35 pm

Cool article, 0-it-hz!

So it sounds like the CAD sin't anything special over the others inthis rangne not is it a slouch... I'm kinda hoping for something affordable that isn't a sound effect so the long ribbon/short throw that gives extended flat range seems to be what I should go for.
Image Image

Derrick

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:29 pm

Yeah, the shorter ribbons give a better off-axis response....I love my fatheads for blumlien and M/S... but honestly not so much as spot mics. The beyer M500 is a KILLER mics when paired with the Oktava ML-52 or fathead in M/S too if you're interested in a hyper-cardioid ribbon.
Everything louder than everything else.

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:29 am

Some folks have noted a 'phasey' or hollow sound with the Chinese dual ribbon mics. I whipped up a free, DIY mod to convert these to a single ribbon and clear up the sound. Output level drops a few dB but the sound is much improved and you won't miss the level when mic'ing guitar cabs.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:46 am

Hey Michael, I run across your posts, blogs, and see a great deal of your work on mods... I also see how helpful you are and note how your passion really shows. I just wanted to take the opportunity to extend a hearty thanks.
Image Image

Derrick

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:00 pm

I've had mine for a while now and use it all the time on guitar. I think it sounds great thru an SCA N72 on distorted guitars and equally good with a sytek on clean guitar but I've ran it thru my stock TS24 pres and it does a good job of capturing whatever is coming out of the amp.

I think it's really good mic, I'd love an M160 or Royer but don't have the budget at the moment.

My studio partner is getting a pair of Coles 4038s so i'm excited to hear how those sound.

Eddie
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:03 pm

Please come back to this thread and let us know how the Coles compair!!
Image Image

Derrick

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:06 pm

Derrick wrote:...I'm kinda hoping for something affordable that isn't a sound effect so the long ribbon/short throw that gives extended flat range seems to be what I should go for.
Hey Derrick, thanks for the kind words. Here are some sound files you might find useful...Happy New Year!

Acoustic Gtr Coles 4038
Acoustic Gtr OktavaMod Apex 205

Drum OH 1 Coles 4038
Drum OH 1 OktavaMod Apex 205

Drums OH 2 Coles 4038
Drum OH 2 OktavaMod Apex 205
Drum OH 2 OktavaMod Nady RSM-5

Drums OH 3 Coles 4038
Drums OH 3 OktavaMod Apex 205
Drums OH 3 OktavaMod Nady RSM-5