Reamp box that will split instrument level signal as well

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Slider
george martin

Reamp box that will split instrument level signal as well

Post by Slider » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:27 am

I'm looking for a reamp type box that will also let me split an instrument level signal to two amps with no hum. Any out there besides the JD7?
The X-amp is so close, except it doesn't seem to have an instrument level input.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:04 pm

Why do you need an instrument input? A reamp box is for taking a line level signal and turning it into an instrument level signal. There is no instrument input on a reamp.

Do you want a reamp box or a splitter box? Radial makes one of those as well.

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:40 pm

I want both options in one box.
It looks like I'll need to buy separately though.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:39 pm

The JD7 is the only one that I know of. It is overkill, I don't know why they don't make something with one or two inputs.

antilog
george martin

Re: Reamp box that will split instrument level signal as wel

Post by antilog » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:28 pm

Slider wrote:I'm looking for a reamp type box that will also let me split an instrument level signal to two amps with no hum. Any out there besides the JD7?
The X-amp is so close, except it doesn't seem to have an instrument level input.
Exactly what features are you looking for? guitar + linelevel > multi amps, or guitar > multiple amps + line level?

Jensen might help
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:25 pm

farview wrote:The JD7 is the only one that I know of. It is overkill, I don't know why they don't make something with one or two inputs.
That's what I was thinking too.
A smaller version of the JD7 would be perfect.
Dang.

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:52 am

I use the Little Labs PCP precisely for this. Can split between 3 amps. I love that thing so freakin much. Just an awesome studio tool. And for reamping you can send any 3 line signals to any 3 amps - http://www.littlelabs.com/pcp.html

It has ground lift, phase reverse and a level control, DI, mult, can drive long cable runs. Just a swiss army tool.

There is also a blurb of Jonathan's site about design difference of the JD7 and the PCP (use of stock transformers and a drag control).

New these are more $$$ than the Radial, but I got mine used for $550 i believe. There is one on ebay now for $770, which to me is too high, but includes the rack ears.

In comparing the 2 (not based on sound as I haven't heard a JD7):
-the PCP has more reamp flexibility given the 3 line outs, vs. 1 for JD7
-for tracking the JD7 seems to be more flexible, allowing to switch between 2 guitars, 7 amps, an effects loop, vs. 1 guitar, 3 amps and no effects loops. But in practice, the PCP is still great for tracking, and it made me make choices between the 5-6 amps we have on hand, and 5-6 guitars.
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:56 am

X-amp and direct box?
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:50 am

ipressrecord wrote:X-amp and direct box?
It's looking like x-amp and an instrument splitter is my best bet.

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:32 pm

Cheaper than an xamp and does splitting too

http://www.littlelabs.com/redeye.html
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:00 pm

antilog wrote:Cheaper than an xamp and does splitting too

Hey that looks nice! Looking into it further. Thanks

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:03 pm

llmonty wrote:I use the Little Labs PCP precisely for this. Can split between 3 amps. I love that thing so freakin much. Just an awesome studio tool. And for reamping you can send any 3 line signals to any 3 amps - http://www.littlelabs.com/pcp.html
That thing is nuts!
really cool, although not cheap. Thanks for the tip.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:58 pm

Slider wrote:
antilog wrote:Cheaper than an xamp and does splitting too

Hey that looks nice! Looking into it further. Thanks
The Redeye is very cool, but you'll need two to drive two amps.

The PCP is awesome.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:05 am

The X-Amp will drive two amps. Put a direct box in front of it.

Instrument --> Hi-Z --> DI (or preamp with DI)--> Line Level --> X-Amp --> 2 Amps.

Following the critically acclaimed Radial JD7 Injector, the X-Amp employs a unique Class-A circuit design that has been optimized for use with guitars. Using the X-Amp is easy: One would, for instance, record a dry track using a high quality direct box, then send this track from the recorder to the X-Amp and then to either guitar amps, effect pedals or combinations thereof.

Recording using the X-Amp has many benefits: Once the basic track has been recorded, replacing or adding tracks can be done well after the session player has gone home. This eliminates tiresome repetition and assures a fresh vibrant performance on the final recording. Furthermore, by driving two amps at the same time, new sounds and textures can be created allowing the engineer - producer to make artistic decisions as the recording progresses.

Features include balanced line level input with LED peak indicator and level control, Class-A circuit topology for optimal reach and frequency response, direct and isolated guitar amplifier outputs, 180? polarity reverse to bring both amps into phase, and dual ground lift options for noise-free operation.

As with all Radial products, the X-Amp is built like a tank to provide years of trouble-free performance. A welded I-beam internal skeleton provides a separate housing for maximum protection against external forces, which may cause stress on the PC board assembly while the outside bookend cover provides a protective zone for the switches, potentiometer and connectors. A full bottom no-slip pad performs double duty by keeping the X-Amp from sliding around when placed on a vibrating amplifier while also providing electrical and mechanical isolation.

Features
Active re-amping device

100% Class-A signal path

Two outputs to drive two amps

Input level overload LED indicator

Isolated output eliminates ground loops

Variable output level control
Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:27 pm

ipressrecord wrote:The X-Amp will drive two amps. Put a direct box in front of it.

Instrument --> Hi-Z --> DI (or preamp with DI)--> Line Level --> X-Amp --> 2 Amps.

Brilliant!
Should work perfect.