casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:32 am

i like looping!

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:00 am

RefD wrote:
apropos of nothing wrote:Real men can count in hex and make their loops on an Ensoniq Mirage.
:D
If you can do it blind, you can do it with the lights on too. Its hard to get the *particular flavor* of aliasing present on the Mirage with other gear.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:05 am

Did I mention I'm not gay?
methinks thou dost protest too much-eth.

*tries to think of clever pun on fruity loops and candy-ass*

*gives up*
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

Aquaman
gettin' sounds

Post by Aquaman » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:34 pm

I perform all of my loops in real-time, by attempting to play the same thing as I did in the last 4 bars. It mostly works out great.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:04 pm

apropos of nothing wrote:
RefD wrote:
apropos of nothing wrote:Real men can count in hex and make their loops on an Ensoniq Mirage.
:D
If you can do it blind, you can do it with the lights on too. Its hard to get the *particular flavor* of aliasing present on the Mirage with other gear.
the filters certainly help the sound.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

FBH
gettin' sounds

Post by FBH » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:05 pm

Canned loops can be a really fantastic catalyst for creation. I don't know that they belong in finished recordings (unless they sound right for whatever reason), but the ability to bang out a drum track in 5 minutes or less can be really helpful when you know you want to arrange a 3-minute pop tune with a verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus structure and you just want to get on with it. It may not be the most thoughtful way to work, but you can certainly create a bass line, guitar riff and melody over a canned drum loop. Since there is no tape to waste, I just start the recording and noodle around until something catches my ear.

NeglectedFred
pushin' record

Post by NeglectedFred » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:51 pm

FBH wrote:Canned loops can be a really fantastic catalyst for creation. I don't know that they belong in finished recordings (unless they sound right for whatever reason), but the ability to bang out a drum track in 5 minutes or less can be really helpful when you know you want to arrange a 3-minute pop tune with a verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus structure and you just want to get on with it. It may not be the most thoughtful way to work, but you can certainly create a bass line, guitar riff and melody over a canned drum loop. Since there is no tape to waste, I just start the recording and noodle around until something catches my ear.
Canned Schmanned... I agree about them being good for creation on an inspirational level, but so can playing along to an album.

If it's just a temporary placeholder, like a click track, there's nothing wrong with that - but why not just create a few generic beats yourself - then they're yours? One day with a drum kit can be an eternity of 'Your drum sound'.

Everybody's got thier line on a graph that seperates original from rip off, mine goes here: if it's a phrase - and you didn't create the placement of the notes within it - you're taking credit for someone elses work. Of course there are a billion samples of chords and single note pads, and I wouldn't gripe if somone were to use them by transposing and sequencing them around to fit into the music they wrote (a substitute for lack of a synth).

I don't think I could use someone elses drum samples, even individual hits, to sequence into my own phrases - I wouldn't want anyone to steel the drums sounds I captured - but for me, part of the pride comes in the actual recording of the drums and creating 'MY' sound.
I eat glue.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:14 pm

Aquaman wrote:I perform all of my loops in real-time, by attempting to play the same thing as I did in the last 4 bars. It mostly works out great.

Mikey P
studio intern

Post by Mikey P » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:05 am

don't forget the BBC radiophonic workshop.

here's delia derbyshire beat-matching reel-to-reel tape loops like it's the most natural thing in the world.

FBH
gettin' sounds

Post by FBH » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:58 am

NeglectedFred wrote:
FBH wrote:Canned loops can be a really fantastic catalyst for creation. I don't know that they belong in finished recordings (unless they sound right for whatever reason), but the ability to bang out a drum track in 5 minutes or less can be really helpful when you know you want to arrange a 3-minute pop tune with a verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus structure and you just want to get on with it. It may not be the most thoughtful way to work, but you can certainly create a bass line, guitar riff and melody over a canned drum loop. Since there is no tape to waste, I just start the recording and noodle around until something catches my ear.
Canned Schmanned... I agree about them being good for creation on an inspirational level, but so can playing along to an album.

If it's just a temporary placeholder, like a click track, there's nothing wrong with that - but why not just create a few generic beats yourself - then they're yours? One day with a drum kit can be an eternity of 'Your drum sound'.

Everybody's got thier line on a graph that seperates original from rip off, mine goes here: if it's a phrase - and you didn't create the placement of the notes within it - you're taking credit for someone elses work. Of course there are a billion samples of chords and single note pads, and I wouldn't gripe if somone were to use them by transposing and sequencing them around to fit into the music they wrote (a substitute for lack of a synth).

I don't think I could use someone elses drum samples, even individual hits, to sequence into my own phrases - I wouldn't want anyone to steel the drums sounds I captured - but for me, part of the pride comes in the actual recording of the drums and creating 'MY' sound.
It's hardly "stealing" when you buy loops from someone like BetaMonkey.

Regardless, I was talking on an "inspirational level".

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:32 am

Mikey P wrote:here's delia derbyshire beat-matching reel-to-reel tape loops like it's the most natural thing in the world.

W o w ....

She's . . . . . . p e r f e c t ....

*sigh* :hearts:
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:43 am

Mikey P wrote:don't forget the BBC radiophonic workshop.

here's delia derbyshire beat-matching reel-to-reel tape loops like it's the most natural thing in the world.
That really is the ultimate in audio pr0n.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:12 pm

ysyrtypy wrote:

Delia Derbyshire = RAWR!

i have that album and it's pretty much uniformly great.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Mikey P
studio intern

Post by Mikey P » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:06 pm

have you heard white noise? that's pretty great too.

yeah, the combination of mad skillz, english teeth and accent, and that almost erotic languidity in both the cadences of her voice and the way her hand dangles from the wrist are, frankly, captivating. total time-machine crush.

RefD wrote:
ysyrtypy wrote:

Delia Derbyshire = RAWR!

i have that album and it's pretty much uniformly great.

boriscrispin
alignin' 24-trk

Post by boriscrispin » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:05 am

Oh lovely & awesome at the same time. rare.
A million miles away from clicking through a folder entitled 'Funky Hip-Hop 140bpm'.

And there are moving parts, so it's music ;)