Tascam PortaStudio 244 Problem

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Tascam PortaStudio 244 Problem

Post by operator_tape » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:12 pm

Hey there Tape OPers,

I bought a Tascamm PortaStudio 244 for about 75$ CAN, tried it at the guys place worked fine, up until I put in a tape and wanted to begin tracking. I let the tape Fast Forward till the end. All of a sudden the meter lamps started flicking and the transport lights and then they died.

Now the transport does not work anymore and neither the meter lamps.
I just wanted to know if any of you guys might of had the same problem and what did you do to fix it. Also should I call the guy and tell him to give me my money back!

Chime in and let me know what you guys think!

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:25 pm

Anybody have any thoughts. I think it might be a type of overload switch that when one of ribbons slips it turns off the lights. Anyways tried playing with it today and nothing happened. Same as yesterday

song-writer
alignin' 24-trk

Post by song-writer » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:33 pm

Maybe the unit has a fuse that blew? Is it making any operational sounds, at all, now, or is it just dead silent? You might want to also put out a similar thread on gearslutz.com, and especially on tascamforums.com (as that is where there is a lot of Tascam specific knowledge).
Song-Writer

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:30 am

well it turns on, the mic pres work, the lamps when you turn on the machine turn on, but then die a little after. I was thinking of tascamforums but they charge 4.00$ for membership. Gearslutz is a good idea, I will check it out, thanks

alf
gettin' sounds

Post by alf » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:53 am

Did you pop it open? It's really easy to do. Are the belts good? And the pinch roller? Those things may need replacing regardless of any other problems. I had to do that to my 244. I wasn't having lamp probs though.

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:24 pm

I have not opened it yet but, I am having a buddy of mine look at it first. I think that it has to be belts or pinch roller.

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:42 pm

bringing this post back a little.

The belts have been changed, the belts inside seemed like they melted. The pinch roller looks fine, its not melted in any way. The idler tires look like they might need to be changed but I am skeptical.

basically I am back to where I have started. Should there be a voltage at the motor when I turn it on? The transport seems to be sending the signal to the motor to do something but its not doing anything. Also, is there a fuses next to the motor and if so where is it? Should I be reading a voltage on the motor when I power it?

Thanks for all your help, I am not giving up on this monster!!!!!!!!!

skywavebe
ass engineer

Post by skywavebe » Fri May 15, 2009 8:31 am

Hello 244 owner,
No need to go to Tascam Forum where they talk about digital anyway. I am here to help if needed. The unit is very old. The solder joints or capacitors may have had enough. I used to work on a few a week when at Teac in Chicago. It is hard to say without seeing the unit but it may be that when changing the belts, they may have upset the solder connection wires or maybe the mounting of the regulator in the unit that will shut down with heat hitting a certain level. The best thing to do it have it looked at to determine the actual cause and what needs to be done. I am willing to give you a free estimate if you want me to look at it. I am in the Chicago area and am writing this from near LaSalle and Chicago ave. Let me know- I bet I can get you going.
Best regards,

Sam Palermo,
Skywave Tape Deck Repair
(708) 334-2260 cell
skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Lead Tech. Teac Chicago Factory Service