Reaper...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:37 am

That last post pretty much sums it up for me too. I've dabbled in them all and I keep coming back to Reaper because I can turn off my left brain when I use it, and just focus on the tunes.

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:23 am

This thread settles it. Some of my holiday bucks is going to a copy.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:38 am

kayagum wrote:This thread settles it. Some of my holiday bucks is going to a copy.
Actually, you might want to wait a couple of weeks. Version 3 is coming out, which is supposed to be a significant upgrade. And for the 1st time, I think we will need to purchase a new license (the existing license has covered everything from the beginning, aka 0.9 until now, version 2.54).

Meanwhile, download version 2.54. The Reaper people are very cool about letting you demo their stuff. In fact, the program download is fully functional, you only have to pay based on your conscience (the only thing that happens when you pay is that a tiny nag screen in the upper right hand corner of the screen changes when you buy the license).

And since they have the significant update version 3 coming out Real Soon Now (they are on version 2.999 beta 7 at the moment), I doubt they would even want you to buy the old one.

Just a thought.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

mvollrath
gettin' sounds

Post by mvollrath » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:42 pm

metanoiastudios wrote: mvollrath, there's a new upgrade that (i think) is supposed to improve the meter's refresh rate. Maybe that solves it? never paid much attention to it, so I couldn't really tell after upgrading, but maybe you can?
Tried the update, no improvement. It is not bad enough to keep me from using Reaper. Here's hoping 3.0 improves the situation, though.

stui
pluggin' in mics

Post by stui » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:14 pm

I've just started playing around with Reaper - looks good.
Anyone mixing out of the box with it or using outboard gear?
I'd also be interested to know what interfaces you're running with it.
"when in doubt leave it out"

Beingbing
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Beingbing » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:49 am

I started using reaper about a year ago when I bought a lexicon alpha interface to mix down 4 track and 6 track recordings. The interface came bundled with cubase le 4, but I was experiencing strange clicks and audio dropouts. I spent 4 hours on the phone with lexicon tech support, and they were really helpful with troubleshooting my computer. The guy even went through all of my background applications to make sure none were harmful and taking up processor speed.

We came to the conclusion that my dell was not fast enough to run cubase. He then gave me a list of programs that work with the lexicon interfaces, reaper being the first and most successfully used by interface users who didn't have the CPU power to run heftier audio programs.

It's a great program and it's done everything I've needed it to do quite well.

tweeksound
audio school graduate

Post by tweeksound » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:55 am

I'm a big fan of Reaper...

I use the RME Hammerfall HDSP9652 with Presonus ADAT (and S/MUX) converters.
As for outboard, if you have the ADC's and DAC's, digital and analog gear is your Reapers best friend.

I also use the Presonus Faderport with great success.
I was planning on getting a Mackie Universal Control but reaper is so user friendly that I really only need 1 decent fader and transport.
And I really didn't miss the faders as much as I feared I would when I went 100% ITB

I have Sonar 5 Producer and Cubase LE. I used to have Adobe Audition 2.0 but sold it as after using Reaper a while.
I also used Digital Performer and Pro Tools HD at Boston U and nothing else is as good at as much as Reaper. there are a couple things I keep Sonar around for (MIDI to sheet music, OMF, etc..) but 98% of what I do is with Reaper.
Studio recording (ensemble and overdubs)
Live recording (24 tracks no problem!)
Sound for film and video (a little buggy with the video but easily workable)
Radio production (quick enough turnaround to make me look good!)
Voice over work for cartoons and ADR (additional dialog recording)
mixing and mastering... If you haven't, read Bob Katz's book, "Mastering Audio" do so.
He describes the ideal mastering software and reaper matches up perfectly!

tweeksound
audio school graduate

Post by tweeksound » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:14 pm

Audio School and Ass Engineer... LOL
I love the creative grading scheme used for # of posts the member has written.

Ironic however, that it's probably more likely that the less posts you've written, the more time you spend actually recording, studying, and reading others posts.

At least they got mine right... I founded and instruct a recording course at the Music School here in Concord NH.

If I ever reach an average of 3 posts a day, please ban me so I will get back to recording!

J/K!

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:04 am

Ok then. Reaper is cool...

Yes I agree with everyone, I am enjoying it. It took me a few to get a latency issue solved but after that I have been off and running. For me, it replaced tracktion... which was cool at first but got old, and I don't know if programs have complete transparency or not but I swear everything I am doing with reaper sounds more focused and a little cleaner to me. Anyway, happy tape-oping dudes...

Mike
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:49 pm

stui wrote:I've just started playing around with Reaper - looks good.
Anyone mixing out of the box with it or using outboard gear?
I'd also be interested to know what interfaces you're running with it.
I use it in an OTB setup with a Delta 1010LT, small Soundcraft mixer and a rack of cool, cheap gear. Reaper's been absolutely rock-solid and easy to use.

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:33 pm

tweeksound wrote:Audio School and Ass Engineer... LOL
I love the creative grading scheme used for # of posts the member has written.

Ironic however, that it's probably more likely that the less posts you've written, the more time you spend actually recording, studying, and reading others posts.

At least they got mine right... I founded and instruct a recording course at the Music School here in Concord NH.

If I ever reach an average of 3 posts a day, please ban me so I will get back to recording!

J/K!
You are quicker than average in your realization that this message board is a big brown and yellow rabbit hole into which one falls, never to return to a productive state.

Z MINOR SOUND
gettin' sounds

Post by Z MINOR SOUND » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:29 am

Reaper works like a charm with my 2 echo audiofire12s.

Records 24 tracks at once if need be.

I prefer it to tracktion, protools, and cubase.
Don't forget to breath.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:20 pm

roygbiv wrote:
kayagum wrote:This thread settles it. Some of my holiday bucks is going to a copy.
Actually, you might want to wait a couple of weeks. Version 3 is coming out, which is supposed to be a significant upgrade. And for the 1st time, I think we will need to purchase a new license (the existing license has covered everything from the beginning, aka 0.9 until now, version 2.54).

Meanwhile, download version 2.54. The Reaper people are very cool about letting you demo their stuff. In fact, the program download is fully functional, you only have to pay based on your conscience (the only thing that happens when you pay is that a tiny nag screen in the upper right hand corner of the screen changes when you buy the license).

And since they have the significant update version 3 coming out Real Soon Now (they are on version 2.999 beta 7 at the moment), I doubt they would even want you to buy the old one.

Just a thought.
Just wanted to update my previous comment with a recent quote from Justin on the Reaper Forum (Justin is the guy who owns and is the main coder for Reaper):
Pricing for 3.0 isn't finalized yet, but it likely wont be too different from as it is now.

If you don't like the uncertainty you could always buy a 2.x license since you're guaranteed 3.xx upgrades.

-Justin
In other words, ignore my previous suggestion and buy your Reaper now!
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:14 pm

roygbiv wrote:

Just a thought.
The 2.xx license is good up till version 3.99, so try it now and if it works then don't worry about it!

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:26 pm

I just started playing with Reaper this evening. Wow! Great program. Having fun with it this tonight.

I'm on Macs and have been using Digital Performer since 2003, but now I'm at a point where I have a nice Core 2 Duo iMac in the house (work computer) that is faster than my G5, but I can't install Digital Performer on it without upgrading. And unfortunately, DP6 has issues with software that I own (Native Instruments, Waves, etc). Either stuff will not work or I need to upgrade to get it to work. And I can't see spending all of that cash right now.

I'm going to load all of my Universal Binary AU plug-ins onto this machine and see what I can get accomplished in the next month. I'd gladly pay for Reaper if I feel it out performs Digital Performer.

When is the OSX version going to be out of BETA?

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord