Reaper...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jimbob
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jimbob » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:33 am

Reaper works great for me with my Q6600, UAD-2 Quad and UAD-1 PCI cards. I did have to change the disk streaming to "synchronous" and bump up the render-ahead size under anticipative FX to around 500 ms (default is 200). Also if I get glitches during sessions with large track counts I will change between thread behavior settings, using either automatic, 0, or 4.

By changing these settings I can get rid of any glitches that pop up. Also, if your session gets glitchy, just close Reaper and re-open it. This might be because of my UAD cards, but this usually helps things play back smoothly.

I am definitely hooked on Reaper and I am trying to convert all of my friends to it. I've been pretty successful so far ;). I've never used a more intuitive or powerful software before!

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:38 pm

I love this program but have a question I thought I'd drop in this fat Reaper thread...

My dry, uneffected tracks going in sound fine. No clipping issues. However, when I apply some ReaVerb I get really crazy clipping fizziness no matter how low the input signal.

Anyone experience this?

Wonder if this is a CPU issue or a Mac issue (running OSX on a Mini 1.5 PPC) or is there some kind of input level adjustment I'm missing on the effects?
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

SkullChris
takin' a dinner break

Post by SkullChris » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:24 pm

Wow, Reaper 3 looks phenomenal. If I wasn't so quick in PT, and all my plugs weren't RTAS, I'd switch in a heartbeat. -Chris
"Live to Win!"
brieflives.bandcamp.com
lubec.bandcamp.com/
hexmachinery.blogspot.com/

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

Post by pixeltarian » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:10 pm

i used to love reaper.
now I've settled on Pro Tools 8 MP. My DAW evolution has been:
ACID, Tracktion, Pro tools LE, reaper, Pro Tools MP

reaper is a dream come true if everything you'd like to use is supported. if it's not, you're pretty much SOL unless a LOT of people make a big stink about it. reaper crashes a lot for me and doesn't support some of the plugins I use. I also think it's lacking in track management options and speed of naming/editing GUI things like track color, name, etc. Also, forget about it if you're on a mac. it poofs a lot, and I can't rely on it to track clients.

waveform preview is nice. if you could see the transients move while dragging in pro tools, well, pro tools would be MUCH better for editing. Reapers custom actions pretty much own too. If only it were more stable and a little bit quicker at doing certain things.
"Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to cut all sources of retreat."
- Napoleon Hill

http://www.jeffreyjamesmusic.com
spook folk

http://www.myspace.com/tonguesonpaper
electro atmospheric rock