Chandler LTD-2 Compressor Review (issue 28)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

asmara
steve albini likes it

Chandler LTD-2 Compressor Review (issue 28)

Post by asmara » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:00 pm

Can anyone help? I am trying to track down some info on this unit and according to Larry's notes it was reviewed in issue 28 (or maybe 29). I started TO with issue 36 and Books I, II only go to Issue 20. Chandler for some reason does not include the review on their website (but has other TO reviews). I don't know if its cool to request direct scans from people but can someone just give me the crib notes on that review?
Thanks in advance.
Obviously if anyone reading this has personal experience with this unit that would be awesome as well.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: Chandler LTD-2 Compressor Review (issue 28)

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:26 am

asmara wrote:Can anyone help? I am trying to track down some info on this unit and according to Larry's notes it was reviewed in issue 28 (or maybe 29). I started TO with issue 36 and Books I, II only go to Issue 20. Chandler for some reason does not include the review on their website (but has other TO reviews). I don't know if its cool to request direct scans from people but can someone just give me the crib notes on that review?
Thanks in advance.
Obviously if anyone reading this has personal experience with this unit that would be awesome as well.
What do you want to know about this unit?

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:25 am

Joel Thanks for reply.
I wanted to get an overall opinion of this unit for the purpose of tracking. I have currently an EL8, Germ. Comp., and a RNC. So a comparison to these would be especially insightful. Also are the matched mastering pair with Sterling Mods able to be used independently as mono tracking comps?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:19 am

asmara wrote:Joel Thanks for reply.
I wanted to get an overall opinion of this unit for the purpose of tracking. I have currently an EL8, Germ. Comp., and a RNC. So a comparison to these would be especially insightful. Also are the matched mastering pair with Sterling Mods able to be used independently as mono tracking comps?
I dont have one of these comps anymore, but I actually keep meaning to get one again.
I have two of the germanium compressors, and a Zener limiter. I love chandler stuff.
I have 4 germ pre's and a curve bender also.

I have to say, the LTD-2 does something a lot like the Neve 33609 that makes it almost redundant for me, which is the ONLY reason I dont have one. I have been using the Elysia Mpressor as a drum bus comp, again, otherwise I would have an LTD-2 strapped on the drums at all times. It is a classic for that application for sure.
It is a very cool compressor that you kind of cant go wrong with. unless you are mastering, I wouldnt bother with the mastering version, but that is just my opinion here.
Wade is a great guy, and chandler makes great stuff... that is a win/win situation when I feel great about supporting a cool company that makes really great gear.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:09 am

Sorry for straying off topic, but how do you like that Curve Bender, Joel? If there's a sexier looking piece of gear, I'm not sure what it might be.

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:40 am

thanks

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:04 pm

mjau wrote:Sorry for straying off topic, but how do you like that Curve Bender, Joel? If there's a sexier looking piece of gear, I'm not sure what it might be.
The curve bender is really, really, really great.
Across the whole mix for a db here or there, and cranking the line amps up a bit with some top end going to a two track analog machine... great great stuff there.

Amsara: no sweat.
If you have any other specific questions, I could ask Wade to answer you directly in this thread.

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:37 pm

Joel-
Thanks again. So I just pulled the last purchase of 2008 (besides drinks tonight). I will get these installed tomorrow and start compressing the hell out of 2009.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:23 pm

asmara wrote:Joel-
Thanks again. So I just pulled the last purchase of 2008 (besides drinks tonight). I will get these installed tomorrow and start compressing the hell out of 2009.
Awesome.
I like this post.
I will be compressing 2009 with you, man.
Happy new year!!!