Compression anyone?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Trey Monroe
audio school

Compression anyone?

Post by Trey Monroe » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:26 pm

Hello all, this is my first post so go easy on me...or don't, whatever. I am having some problems on my tracks when the drums come in. Everything sounds smooth clean and awesome, but as soon as the drums hit, the mix gets really woofy (quiet then loud then quiet, rapidly) especially on kick and snare hits. I am assuming that this has something to do with compression but I'll admit I am not very compression savy. I can get the drums to sound great on their own but once they mix with the music...anyway, any suggestions?

Thanks,

T
What it do? This is Trey Monroe, I am a musician/producer. I play drums in a band called PicketLine, and sing and play guitar/keys/etc in a band called The Lotus. Music is what I do. Its my lifes work but more importantly, its my life. Peace and Love

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:05 pm

Sounds more like an EQ issue. But its hard to tell by your description. Or your music is dynamic, which isn't bad.

Aquaman
gettin' sounds

Post by Aquaman » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:31 pm

Take the compressor off the main bus and turn everything down a bit.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:01 pm

Do a search for parallel compression.
And you haven't posted nearly enough info about your mix. How many tracks of drums are you dealing with? How were the drums recorded? How are they bussed? What inserts/sends are part of the mix (at least as far as the drums go)? What is the instrumentation of the song? Can you give us a ballpark description of the song/band? Can you post a link to your current mix? Can you post a link to the band's past efforts?
Prog out with your cog out.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:37 pm

superaction80 wrote:Do a search for parallel compression.
And you haven't posted nearly enough info about your mix. How many tracks of drums are you dealing with? How were the drums recorded? How are they bussed? What inserts/sends are part of the mix (at least as far as the drums go)? What is the instrumentation of the song? Can you give us a ballpark description of the song/band? Can you post a link to your current mix? Can you post a link to the band's past efforts?
+1

A clip would be great.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

NeglectedFred
pushin' record

Post by NeglectedFred » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:50 pm

+ another for a clip..

How many mics are you using on drums?

My mixes got a lot cleaner when I started gating the toms, making sure the room and overheads weren't phasing eachother, and running anything that isn't a spot mic through a high pass filter.

Compression could probaby help the 'woofy-ness' if you use it right, but it would be better to try to clean up the mix starting at the source of the sound, working your way through the chain up to the DAW before you add plug-ins or outboard gear.
I eat glue.

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:47 pm

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:09 pm

I though he was going to say "after October 20th, no more out-of-phase overheads".
Prog out with your cog out.

NeglectedFred
pushin' record

Post by NeglectedFred » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:10 pm

Slider wrote:Peace and Love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpd24yVy5C4
Dude, I totally thought I was in for a compression video.. That was random, but what a prick.. That is really Ringo, right? He'd be better off just not responding - I don't think I needed the forewarning, but now I guess I won't be disapointed when I send my underwear to get signed and don't get them back..

Hey Slider.. As long as we're on a de-railment, are you working on a project for Dulce Sky? My best friend is playing with them now, I thought he mentioned you would be recording them..
I eat glue.

Trey Monroe
audio school

Post by Trey Monroe » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:30 am

superaction80 wrote:I though he was going to say "after October 20th, no more out-of-phase overheads".

Haha thats hilarious. I love it. :lol:

And thanks for the help everyone
What it do? This is Trey Monroe, I am a musician/producer. I play drums in a band called PicketLine, and sing and play guitar/keys/etc in a band called The Lotus. Music is what I do. Its my lifes work but more importantly, its my life. Peace and Love

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:52 pm

NeglectedFred wrote:
Slider wrote:Peace and Love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpd24yVy5C4
Dude, I totally thought I was in for a compression video.. That was random, but what a prick.. That is really Ringo, right? He'd be better off just not responding
I agree, it seems harsh, but Ringo may just be sick of some of his "Fans" (read eBay sellers) trying to make a profit off selling his autograph.

Or, maybe he is in on the whole thing, and he's stashed a bunch of stuff he autographed before October 29th - now he's raised its value!

Which upon reflection seems like a dumb thing for me so say, since he could just backdate a signature. That would probably be worth even more. So I guess it's probably not that. :(
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:26 pm

Ringo has also historically been really, really good about returning fan mail, signing autographs, etc.

I'd probably be sick of being good about that after 45 years, too.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:07 pm

cgarges wrote:Ringo has also historically been really, really good about returning fan mail, signing autographs, etc.

I'd probably be sick of being good about that after 45 years, too.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
He answred Marge Simpson's mail 30+ years after she sent it.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:16 pm

that episode is actually all garges' claim is based on.

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:05 pm

Didn't Marge do a painting of Ringo too?

I'm warning you! with peace and love.