Mix in protools sounds different than bounced stereo track.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:15 am

So I still have one question that went unanswered. When bussing all tracks to an aux track and recording your mix on that stereo track, if the session is 24bit that's what the track will be. What's the best way to convert to 16bit, besides having the mastering engineer do it. Ultimately that's what I'm gonna do, but I'm just talking about getting a 16bit version so I can burn a reference cd.

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:51 am

I'll typically just use the file export function. Highlight the two track mix in the edit window, then select that track from the playlist window over on the right. Right-click and choose "export seclection as file" or something like that. You can then choose the output format and path. I'm on Mac so I usually go with AIFF at 16-bit.

lotusstudio
pushin' record

Post by lotusstudio » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:03 am

Additionally, you can use a Master Fader linked to the Output buss, and use processing there, if needed. This cannot be done in a Bounce command
What does this mean? How exactly is the master fader linked to the output buss?
You just got to keep puttin' the good stuff out there

http://www.myspace.com/jimlotusstudio

http://www.myspace.com/vangoghsear500

Aquaman
gettin' sounds

Post by Aquaman » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:34 pm

a) It's best to put a dither on the master bus (or wherever your output bus is) as the last insert, then bounce to 16 bit. Exporting a 24 bit file to 16 bit will only truncate the last couple of bits, and will not apply any dither.

If you don't hear it, it's fine. You would only notice if you had long quiet analog reverb tails or other similar material, where you might hear an audibly repetitive "step" as the lowest bits flicker on and off in a regular pattern (instead of being "dithered", you see?).

b) the master fader IS the output bus (1/2) of protools - think of it as the visual representation of the always-existing stream of main-bus audio - you can choose to view it or not, but it's always "there" (so to speak).