Anybody ever deleted a whole album?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

protoolsman
ass engineer

Post by protoolsman » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:32 am

Almost the same thing: I know a guy who worked in a mobile video van. They where outside at some party when a VERY famous person (sorry I can't give names) walked by their truck and the producer talked him into doing an interview right there in the truck. No PR man or other exec with him. This would have been THE interview of the whole week, maybe year.... But by mistake instead of patching the camera into the recorder he patched it directly to the monitor. The all saw the whole interview and on playback had to watch bars and tone.... Ouch!!! :(
one can never have to many microphones

rjd2
steve albini likes it

Post by rjd2 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:20 pm

so if you are Sophomore Effort, and you do this, are you more bummed about your lost record or your bands psychic name?

no, everybodys done dumb stuff at one point. i think you only learn by doing dumb stuff.

there was a song on an album i did(the third hand) where a drive failed, and took out the instrumental files of a song. out of SHEER dumb luck, the instrumental had come from an unused version of a remix i did for Fallout Boy(ok, peanut gallery, go for it). Universal had the archived PT sessions, which was wierd, cause labels NEVER ask for the archives of a session-i was able to contact the label and they sent me a copy of the sessions(overnite! just to be nice! Universal!?!?!?). all was well...

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:52 pm

rjd2 wrote: no, everybodys done dumb stuff at one point. i think you only learn by doing dumb stuff.

"Experience keeps a dear school, but a fool will learn in no other." -Ben Franklin

I apply that quote to my life pretty frequently.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:55 pm

pouxhawk wrote:In the wonderful world of video, file management and backup protocols became even more important once we switched from recording on tape to recording to P2 solid state memory cards. Because the cards are a couple of grand each, and are meant to be reused, there is no original tape to put on a shelf. Making multiple backups to multiple media, consistent and understandable labeling, and obsessive attention to detail absolutely necessary. I still get severe rectal puckering when reformatting a P2 card, even though I personally do the backups to HD, DVD, and VXA tape myself. It?s going to take a while to overcome that visceral reaction.

dino
Yeah, my video guy never really got why I was so obsessed with archiving everything until he recently started shooting HD to cards. Now I think he's starting to get it.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:36 am

i deleted what i did after 12 am sat morning. and last weekend, can't remember how i got home friday night.