20th: An exercise in decisiveness

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:05 pm

Aiight, 3.5 hours, drums done from single-hit samples, then did bass, then lyrix/vox, then the rest.

You can hear it here: Fries.

Totally fun!

I should only record like this ... :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:38 pm

Ha!

Hadda bass drop-out inna chorus; fixt it.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:20 pm

"43 to 44" is up:
http://www.myspace.com/superaction80
In the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit that I finished this mix after going to an inauguration party and having a few. I'm sure the high end of the mix suffered accordingly.
Prog out with your cog out.

BlueMoonshine
gettin' sounds

FAWM

Post by BlueMoonshine » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:53 am

Don't forget, too, that February Album Writing Month (FAWM.org) is right around the corner -- an annual challenge to write 14 songs in 28 days with a great online community.

There is no requirement to actually demo your tunes, but the ammount of feedback you receive is definitely tied to having a recording. If you are a songwriter, I highly recommend it. http://www.fawm.org

Similar to the 20th, I make myself write and fully demo the songs before sleeping... my wife waits patiently each year for March.

Mikey P
studio intern

Post by Mikey P » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:44 am

Yeah, I'd like to do FAWM sometime. I'd planned to spend this February finishing and recording a collection of songs I've already three-quarters written though. I want to try and get most of an EP or mini-album done before uni starts back for the year..

mscottweber
pushin' record

Post by mscottweber » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:57 am

While not quite as courageous as the album-in-a-day, my roommate and I started an event called "Record Time" that we hold about twice a year. Record Time challenges its participants to write and record a whole album, from initial song concepts all the way to finished product with album artwork and all, in just a week. When we first did it, only the two of us participated, but we have been getting close to 20 submissions the past couple times. Much in the vein of the "20th" game, the purpose isn't to come up with incredible sounding recordings, but just to get people off their butts and creating! If this sounds like something you might want to take part in, we will probably be doing another one soon. For more information, PM me.

Mike

sfsonarboy
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sfsonarboy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:35 am

RPMChallenge (http://www.rpmchallenge.com) is another similar thing, where the goal is to write and record an album in one month (February).

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:50 am

Ha!

About a month ago, I started a Friednite or Satyrnite Challenge (Friday or Saturday night based on my kid's vistation with their mother) over at vsplanet.com where we start a track from scratch about 5:00 PM that day and take submissions of tracks to go in the tune until midnight the following day.

Been pretty successful, I think, with me getting 1-3 collaborators participating.

I have linked it up in the "Listen to Me" forum here but thus far, despite some interest, have not had any participants.

I'll probably do it this Saturay night, again.

Anywhat, thanx for the links!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

mscottweber
pushin' record

Post by mscottweber » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:19 am

The book Blink by Malcolm Gladwell is about rapid cognition, and discusses how decisions we make quickly can often end up better than ones we spend a lot of time obsessing over. I haven't read the book, but a friend of mine has, and loved it.

In my experience with these types of "speed composition" experiments I am always really surprised at how good the results can be when I don't give myself enough time to over think things and screw them up.

scott macdonald
takin' a dinner break

Post by scott macdonald » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:01 pm

I'm enjoying these songs, but what I really want to hear is the campfire song mentioned in the original post!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:40 pm

Like I mentioned above, today's (1-24-09 Satyrday) collab is here, going on until 12:00 PM CST.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:21 pm

Hey, Hey!

The 20th is today!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Mikey P