Quincy Jones' Petition to create a Secretary of the Arts

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:28 pm

Drinking the other side's KoolAid, in other words.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:31 pm

No, I'm part of the twenty percent that do all the work for the other eighty percent.

Now you know what I've had to put up with for the last eight years.

Just remember, kids. "Dissent is the highest form of patriotism."

At least that's what the bumper stickers used to say.
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:36 pm

I am so confused. 20%? 80%?

I nominate Paula Abdul for Art Czar before this thread gets locked.

I mean, c'mon, she so talented and smart.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:16 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:I'm pretty sure I spent a few dimes so that AIG execs could have some lavish parties too.
Well, look at it this way:
At least they may get a tax break for hiring live musicians to play at those parties.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:19 pm

CurtZHP wrote:No, I'm part of the twenty percent that do all the work for the other eighty percent.

Now you know what I've had to put up with for the last eight years.
non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated. What have you had to put up with for eight years, where the side that claims it's not torturing people has been in power and dissent has been continually labeled as treason?
CurtZHP wrote:Just remember, kids. "Dissent is the highest form of patriotism."

At least that's what the bumper stickers used to say.
which is why you just ridiculed an opinion that differs from the official line of the current administration...way to support the highest form of patriotism there duder.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:24 pm

By the way, this thread is about the potential for creating a Minister of Arts, not a left vs. right thread. You guys can spend time arguing that on GovOp.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:26 pm

* stands down *

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:52 pm

It's difficult to have a discussion about whether or not government should invest in the arts without examining the other ways that government spends our money. As such, I guess I'll stand down, too.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:03 pm

No worries. Just try to keep it civil. Thanks!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

BenjaminWells
gettin' sounds

Who?

Post by BenjaminWells » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:43 pm

Paula Abdul? She'd probably shack up with the surgeon general. The poor kid would be named Sanjay Abdul Gupta Jr.???

But maybe Quincy Jones himself?
Herbie Hancock perhaps?
Bono?

wait, what am I thinking... how about The Boss?

You know who's earned it... Bonie Raitt.

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:33 pm

dwlb wrote:
which is why you just ridiculed an opinion that differs from the official line of the current administration...way to support the highest form of patriotism there duder.

Right you are. After rereading my earlier comments, a couple things in reverse order of importance:

The point I hamhandedly tried to make originally was that I didn't think we needed another cabinet-level department. Personally, I think we have too many already. I think several of them could be easily done away with, starting with....(wait for it, sports fans...)...The Department of Homeland Security. Here endeth the rant. Thanks be to God.

Young Winston, I owe you an apology. Our political disagreements do not warrant the ad hominum attack I lobbed in your direction. I've been on the receiving end of such remarks and didn't like it, so for me to treat you in kind (having never been attacked by you) is something I'm ashamed of. I know better. Even before Dwlb called me on it I was thinking about it, trying to rationalize the irrational. Bad day? So what? You had nothing to do with it. Facts and/or opinions aside, my attitude sucked.

Because of our shared passion about audio, I like to think of everyone here as a friend. I was always taught to deserve my friends, and today I blew it. I'm truly sorry.
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:44 pm

CurtZHP wrote:Young Winston, I owe you an apology. Our political disagreements do not warrant the ad hominum attack I lobbed in your direction. I've been on the receiving end of such remarks and didn't like it, so for me to treat you in kind (having never been attacked by you) is something I'm ashamed of. I know better. Even before Dwlb called me on it I was thinking about it, trying to rationalize the irrational. Bad day? So what? You had nothing to do with it. Facts and/or opinions aside, my attitude sucked.

Because of our shared passion about audio, I like to think of everyone here as a friend. I was always taught to deserve my friends, and today I blew it. I'm truly sorry.
Probably the best example of "People Skills" to date. Thanks, Curt. True class.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Young Winston
ass engineer

Post by Young Winston » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:13 pm

CurtZHP wrote: #1
Young Winston, I owe you an apology. Our political disagreements do not warrant the ad hominum attack I lobbed in your direction. I've been on the receiving end of such remarks and didn't like it, so for me to treat you in kind (having never been attacked by you) is something I'm ashamed of. I know better. Even before Dwlb called me on it I was thinking about it, trying to rationalize the irrational. Bad day? So what? You had nothing to do with it. Facts and/or opinions aside, my attitude sucked.

Thank you, Curt.

I am equally at fault, however.

My original comment was off topic and out of line as well. I did nothing to prevent the situation from escalating, and that's not fair to anyone. You have my sincerest apologies.

To you and to everyone, I'm sorry to have derailed the thread.
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength

ballpein
pushin' record

Post by ballpein » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:54 pm

Wow. Two adults acting like... adults. And on the internet, no less.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:06 pm

I'm pretty impressed.