Tube warmth with FREE stereo modulation!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:42 am

33RPM and 45RPM on that table?

I wonder how a 78RPM table would sound... Or a stompbox switch to cycle through speeds. Or run the table off a variac to get continuously variable speeds.

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:22 am

greatness. i've got and old califone speaker that i combined with the guts of a valve jr head to make an awesome little lofi tube combo that is pretty awesome... but truly, the turntable utilization takes this to a whole new level.
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:23 pm

Old tricks are the best tricks!
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:42 pm

Various questions:

1) The microphones do add a lot, it's not quite as whirly sounding in the room. It's especially hard to get your head right into the mono zone between the two layers.

2) The electronics are part of the original turnable, aside from me adding a proper grounded power cord. That's the "microphone" input I'm plugged into.

3) It doesn't have a speed switch... it has a speed pot! Continuously variable from 16 to 78 rpm.

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:48 pm

Scodiddly wrote:3) It doesn't have a speed switch... it has a speed pot! Continuously variable from 16 to 78 rpm.
Even better. An old volume or wah pedal could be rigged up in place of that speed pot for remote operation. I'm going to do something similar to control the tremolo speed in my wurltizer 200.

Xavier
audio school graduate

Post by Xavier » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:01 am

This is a great idea. I really like the fact that you could use it on just about anything.

Cudos!

Rabbit
ass engineer

Post by Rabbit » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:02 am

Yeah this is really cool. I built something along these lines when I was a kid, a mini version using an old 3 speed finger nail drier my Mom had laying around. I used it in front of a 4" - 6" speaker and never got around to a larger design I could drop in front of an amp.

Anyway, this is great.

NeglectedFred
pushin' record

Post by NeglectedFred » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:26 pm

Inspiring... Me likes!

..And that guitar is beautiful. It's treating my hang-over nicely. Thank you!
I eat glue.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:41 pm

Of course with these old turntables you have all sorts of compromises. The Califone amp itself doesn't sound that great overdriven.

On the other hand, the similar product from Bogen has a wonderful sounding amp (well, it needs new caps and tubes along with a grounded power cord) with octal preamp tubes and a pair of 6V6 for output, but the turntable part isn't so great. It's variable speed, but the lever is hard to adjust and is mechanical rather than electrical.

BenjaminWells
gettin' sounds

Sweet

Post by BenjaminWells » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:51 pm

Fantastic idea! I love this kind of resourceful innovation.

bronsonmestizo
gimme a little kick & snare

wow...

Post by bronsonmestizo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:40 pm

That is so cool. Great in concept and design...

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:45 pm

Hey, now that Zoom H2 and its competitors are ubiquitous. I wonder how this would work with the recorder/mics battery powered and sitting directly on the turntable. Potential issues: 1. Obviously, the mechanical noise of the turntable drive. Padding would be necessary. 2. I don't have an open-top turntable, which is my problem. nowaitaminnitthat's not true.

Okay, will try this week after my eyes start to bug out from editing TOMB HS comp liner notes.

Maybe two amps facing each other, signal split, h2 on turntable between them. Hm.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:53 pm

ysyrtypy wrote:Hey, now that Zoom H2 and its competitors are ubiquitous. I wonder how this would work with the recorder/mics battery powered and sitting directly on the turntable. Potential issues: 1. Obviously, the mechanical noise of the turntable drive. Padding would be necessary. 2. I don't have an open-top turntable, which is my problem. nowaitaminnitthat's not true.

Okay, will try this week after my eyes start to bug out from editing TOMB HS comp liner notes.

Maybe two amps facing each other, signal split, h2 on turntable between them. Hm.
All cool ideas. I guess I need a second turntable...
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Dave-H
pushin' record

Post by Dave-H » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:41 pm

I had a old Califone stereos They were throwing out when I was in junior high I think it had 2 12" speakers each in a open back cab that you set the amp / turntable into to carry it. I remember listening to the Grand Funk Red album with the bass & treble turned all the way up with a speaker on either side of my head. No wonder I can't hear any more :wink:

Dave Huffman
Will Drum For Money