"Real Guitar" Guitar Hero?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

"Real Guitar" Guitar Hero?

Post by comfortstarr » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:38 am

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2009/01/f ... guita.html

Kind of cool, maybe, sort of... who knows.

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:49 am

I just got the kids guitar hero for xmas. I've never really seen it before.

The 1st thing I thought of was" too bad it's not really teaching them anything"

I would like to see something that will enentually teach them to read music/play different instruments/develop perfect pitch etc...

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:02 am

They are slowly reinventing what we already have, which is normal guitars and normal guitar lessons. Except now it is all patented and licensable. Brilliant.

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:17 am

ysyrtypy wrote:They are slowly reinventing what we already have, which is normal guitars and normal guitar lessons. Except now it is all patented and licensable. Brilliant.

before you know it people are going to start talking about going back to recording "analog"....crazy world:)

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:48 am

ysyrtypy wrote:They are slowly reinventing what we already have, which is normal guitars and normal guitar lessons. Except now it is all patented and licensable. Brilliant.
Just like summing boxes moving towards mixing consoles, ipods moving towards tube hifi....etc...etc...etc...

its the only way to be american. ;) :roll:

Woodeye
pluggin' in mics

Post by Woodeye » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:07 pm

My niece the other day noted that 'being able to play Guitar Hero doesn't mean you can play guitar'. I recently had the embarassing opportunity to show my son and a number of his friends that the converse is also painfully true...
-- There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who don't --

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:28 pm

joel hamilton wrote:
Just like summing boxes moving towards mixing consoles, ipods moving towards tube hifi....etc...etc...etc...

its the only way to be american. ;) :roll:
every american is, by definition, always one purchase away from total contentment.

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:42 pm

I think Tape Op Hero is coming out next. Players will compete to set up mics, align tape machines, get accurate levels (without clipping!) and apply compressor settings under direction of a producer. Soldering iron controller and cable attachment sold separately.

When you are really kicking ass the game will shout totally rad catchphrases at you like WARM! and PUMPIN! And just when you've almost beat the game you'll have to "try another take." :wink: :D

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:23 pm

curtiswyant wrote:I think Tape Op Hero is coming out next. Players will compete to set up mics, align tape machines, get accurate levels (without clipping!) and apply compressor settings under direction of a producer. Soldering iron controller and cable attachment sold separately.

When you are really kicking ass the game will shout totally rad catchphrases at you like WARM! and PUMPIN! And just when you've almost beat the game you'll have to "try another take." :wink: :D
awesome.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:00 pm

curtiswyant wrote:I think Tape Op Hero is coming out next. Players will compete to set up mics, align tape machines, get accurate levels (without clipping!) and apply compressor settings under direction of a producer. Soldering iron controller and cable attachment sold separately.

Its already out, have you seen the "studio" in "World tour" You can make up your own music, bout like basic midi stuff.

Just google Guitar world Tour studio, I cant wait till someone opens up a studio for everyone to bring their "instruments" er button controller disguised as a drum machine/guitar in and record some stuff....

Maybe a niche there, I may start signing bands this afternoon!
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:02 pm

RodC wrote:

Its already out, have you seen the "studio" in "World tour" You can make up your own music, bout like basic midi stuff.

Just google Guitar world Tour studio, I cant wait till someone opens up a studio for everyone to bring their "instruments" er button controller disguised as a drum machine/guitar in and record some stuff....

Maybe a niche there, I may start signing bands this afternoon!
Eventually these instruments will evolve with more and more features until they eventually become exact replicas of real instruments. But of course with the added feature of patented everything.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:04 pm

Harry wrote:I just got the kids guitar hero for xmas. I've never really seen it before.

I would like to see something that will enentually teach them to read music/play different instruments/develop perfect pitch etc...
Both of my Sons play guitar, other instruments, read music study theory.. etc etc..

They also play video games, but not guitar hero. Basicly they feel video games are great for stuff that isnt realistic to do (ie travel to some distant galaxy/land and blow some heads off or shoot down a spaceship/airplane ect ect)

However

You can-, in the comfort of your home, get out a damn guitar and do something that requires knowlege/skill -- - knowlege/skill a bit deeper than advanced simon with some fake fans on the TV screen.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:50 pm

Yowzaa, lotsa curmudgeons up in here.

As someone who's day job is around instructional design and learning theory, I think this is, basically, a cool idea. "Engagement" plays a big role in learning. Things like these may engage some people more than other forms (e.g., books, lessons, whatever), if they actually teach them the same stuff, what's the big deal? It's the end that matters innit? Getting someone to practice is, as we all sadly know, not easy. This kind of a thing may help with that--for SOME people.

Competition, for better and sometimes worse, also can drive participation for some. Seems like this brings that into play.

To be clear, I'm only talking about the concept, I couldn't tell anything about the execution from that vid.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:37 pm

As for engagement in tasks only tangentially related to the skills being taught, there's http://articles.latimes.com/2007/feb/20 ... deogames20

And I agree we are many of us a bit curmudgeonly, myself included.

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:02 am

RodC wrote:
Harry wrote:I just got the kids guitar hero for xmas. I've never really seen it before.

Both of my Sons play guitar, other instruments, read music study theory.. etc etc..

They also play video games, but not guitar hero. Basicly they feel video games are great for stuff that isnt realistic to do (ie travel to some distant galaxy/land and blow some heads off or shoot down a spaceship/airplane ect ect)

However

You can-, in the comfort of your home, get out a damn guitar and do something that requires knowlege/skill -- - knowlege/skill a bit deeper than advanced simon with some fake fans on the TV screen.

Well.... the last time I sat my 5 year old down and started explaining music theory to him he started to cry:)

The not so serious point I was trying to make was that is doesn't seem like too much of a leap from this game to something that could actually be giving them some fundamental skills. Especially since they would have no problem "practicing" for hours on end.

I was in no way trying to offend your gaming/musician/or parenting sensibilities....PEACE!!!!!