To People Who Want to Hear What Tape Can Sound Like

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:33 pm

xonlocust wrote:
drumsound wrote:
gregnrom wrote:It will be good to see you Tony!
Do you have a preference for a type of music the band should play? rock, metal, New Orleans/Icelandic Traditional?
A simple rock band would be great. Know a good one with male and female singers? *looks in Nick Kraska's direction*

i just signed up!
nah, i'll be chilling in the control room while some other monkeys do the work! i did the shit work on that mic pre listening party a while back and played the same boring beat for like 3 hrs while everyone else had all the fun. and besides, i'm not playing with them anymore. but if that's the style you want, i bet they'd do it with their new drummer.
Makes sense. I'd rather sit back and listen too! Ask Greg and the band if they are interested.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:25 am

shellac shoud be the test band.

evilaudio
buyin' gear

Post by evilaudio » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:58 am

I would absolutely love to attend this, but have a couple questions first:

1) Are there still "seats/tickets" available, or was the limit 14?
2) Is the cost $1050 per person? If not, what is the cost per person?
3) If it starts at 7PM, how long would it go into the night?
4) I'll be driving from Ft. Wayne, IN, so if anyone would like to carpool (either mine or yours), I'd be down for that! I also have many many friends in Chicago, so I could arrange for a place to stay the night if that's needed.

If the answers to these questions are good for me, I'll sign-up right away! Tape, YES!
-G
Blah!

gregnrom
takin' a dinner break

Post by gregnrom » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:38 pm

The seminar is full now. I might start another Point "campaign" to do another seminar on a weekend. Other people mentioned they could do it easier on a weekend (travel). You can comment on the that page offering a ride...
There was a limit of 14 people. That is pushing what is comfortable in Studio A's control room. The $1050 is divided up amongst the 14 people, so the "ticket" was $75.
Greg Norman
www.electricalaudio.com
Music I've recorded
www.normaphone.com
me me me me me

evilaudio
buyin' gear

Post by evilaudio » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:17 am

dangit!
I always miss-out on these awesome events!
Please let me know if anyone pulls-out as i will go for sure!
Blah!

gregnrom
takin' a dinner break

Post by gregnrom » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:27 pm

I will probably put up another point campaign soon, this time for a weekend date.
Greg Norman
www.electricalaudio.com
Music I've recorded
www.normaphone.com
me me me me me

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:01 am

HEY!!!

To anyone interested in attending this event TONIGHT! I can't make it. I double booked with a session and a show and i don't now what i was thinking... but anyhow, I am really bummed that I can' make it,

SO... if someone wants to buy my ticket from me, that would be awesome. It was 75 bucks and it pays for the studio time, greg's time and the tape for the seminar. It will be well worth it.

anyhow, if interested send me a PM or email me or even call: 812-327-7939

best,
mike

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:00 pm

Russian Recording wrote:HEY!!!

To anyone interested in attending this event TONIGHT! I can't make it. I double booked with a session and a show and i don't now what i was thinking... but anyhow, I am really bummed that I can' make it,

SO... if someone wants to buy my ticket from me, that would be awesome. It was 75 bucks and it pays for the studio time, greg's time and the tape for the seminar. It will be well worth it.

anyhow, if interested send me a PM or email me or even call: 812-327-7939

best,
mike
We'll miss you man!

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:13 pm

xonlocust wrote:
drumsound wrote: A simple rock band would be great. Know a good one with male and female singers? *looks in Nick Kraska's direction*

i just signed up!
nah, i'll be chilling in the control room while some other monkeys do the work! i did the shit work on that mic pre listening party a while back and played the same boring beat for like 3 hrs while everyone else had all the fun.
Heh. The time I played guitar for a mic shootout I was alone in the live room and on the other side of the glass were five of the top ten engineers in the city and all I could think of was "man, I am not as good a guitar player as I should be to be doing this..."
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:32 am

Well the seminar was a blast. So really cool people were there too.

Greg had the magic Studer 820 preset for a lot of different tones, and we got the opportunity to hear the different EQ curves as well as speeds and operating levels. Quite eye opening, being able to compare right on the spot, as opposed to doing a full project one way and then doing the next differently.

Many thanks to Greg and Ben!

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:26 pm

holy shit. too bad i'm way out in philly. if this was on a weekend, i would def love to fly out for this. please keep us posted on more of these happening.

thanks

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:39 pm

permanent hearing damage wrote:holy shit. too bad i'm way out in philly. if this was on a weekend, i would def love to fly out for this. please keep us posted on more of these happening.

thanks
Greg has mentioned having a weekend version. Pester him to make it happen!