Just how freaking old am I??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:19 am

I'm thinking that it probably means that recording is a new interest for this guy. Most of us have been fooling around with recording stuff and otherwise screwing around with audio since early childhood, and so any technology that was common we know inside and out. I had no reason to know home-format reel to reel, except that on one or two occasions there was a deck available and I *had* to know how it worked.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:12 pm

PeePole wHo DoNt No Bout AUdIo R St00pId :roll:

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:23 pm

Kn0t LyKke Usses Hoo duz n0.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

Patrick McAnulty
gettin' sounds

Post by Patrick McAnulty » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:01 pm

I'm 20 and going to school for recording arts and I probably wouldn't know how to record on a cassette either. :oops:

Come to think of it, I've probably only ever recorded on cassette once in my life and that was a looong time ago. lol
?_?

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:18 pm

After helping my daughter burn her own personal music playlist, we were playing around with a miced looping delay into a handy boombox. When we got a funny loop, I?d record it onto the cassette. After awhile she said, ?let?s hear all of them now?, so I hit rewind.

Watching the hub wheels spin back through to the beginning she said ?wow daddy, this computer is reeeallly slow.? :D

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:28 pm

shedshrine wrote:After helping my daughter burn her own personal music playlist, we were playing around with a miced looping delay into a handy boombox. When we got a funny loop, I?d record it onto the cassette. After awhile she said, ?let?s hear all of them now?, so I hit rewind.

Watching the hub wheels spin back through to the beginning she said ?wow daddy, this computer is reeeallly slow.? :D
Dammit, I meant fast, she thought the cassette "computer" was fast. Reaaly fast.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:18 pm

shedshrine wrote:
shedshrine wrote:After helping my daughter burn her own personal music playlist, we were playing around with a miced looping delay into a handy boombox. When we got a funny loop, I?d record it onto the cassette. After awhile she said, ?let?s hear all of them now?, so I hit rewind.

Dammit, I meant fast, she thought the cassette "computer" was fast. Reaaly fast.
my 3 yr old has similar things to say about the new and old technologies sprinkled about our house.

she's also taken to phrasing her sentences as if she's a 39 yr old disgruntled former software analyst.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

johnnydove
pushin' record

Post by johnnydove » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:08 am

maybe this kid was overthinking it, and thought it was more complicated than it was? i know i've done that before, maybe not to that extent, but still.
-johnny

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:14 am

I still use cassette ---in fact I was just editing cassettes from 1977 today.. . I remember what a godsend cassettes were >> from 8 track cart tapes in '68. Was so happy = even to go with mono. My Acura RL has a cassette. I have never even recorded with any PC/Mac Daw yet. Our 3 studiosare still running Roland VS system ..I don't edit WAVs ...

Had a lot more experience , in the last, 40 years with cassette. I would be the exact opposite of your tech....and stumbling with the PT, Sonar, Logic, Cubase, software

> but, top-notch with 2/8 Tascam/Teac ~ 4 trk Fostex ~ 4trk Vesta Fire ~ Nakamichi ~Tandberg ~ Wollensak ~ Sony/Marantz ~Optonica ~ B&0~ Pioneer ~ Akai ~ Luxman - Sansui 6 trk :: used them all . Calibration -Biasing --etc. .

Studio 2 uses Optonica & Teac cassette :: Studio 3 uses Denon & Sony :: We use Tascam

http://i18.ebayimg.com/06/i/001/14/77/6a20_2.JPG Blank cassettes can bring $45 each ...I have recordings on tape from the 70's > they sound & still play well~!

How old am I ??? How young are some of you :-) ?? My first stereo deck >> Incorporated an actual arm for variable speed of the transport [img]http://www.davidreaton.com/images/Adven ... ck.jpg/img]
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

rydberg
pushin' record

Post by rydberg » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:01 am

RefD wrote:or he has a crush on you. :D
hilarious.

Dave-H
pushin' record

Post by Dave-H » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:20 am

Heck I remember buying 78 Rpm records :D
I also remember when you could get LP's either in Stereo OR Mono :idea:
I am 53 8)
Will Drum For Money

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:34 am

Looking at it again, I don't think it's as much a question of age as it is of exposure.

I've worked with 78 RPM records even though they are before my time. I've also worked with wire recorders (40's technology). I was using a razor to edit tape when most of my peers were still learning to shave with one. None of that had anything to do with how old I was, but rather that I was exposed to those technologies.

It just blew my mind to come across someone who had only used a cassette deck once before I met him.

Someday when we're all in our 80's, we'll be shaking our heads at "these kids today" who don't know how to record to a hard drive. Just think of the money we'll make selling old CD players!
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

Dave-H
pushin' record

Post by Dave-H » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:39 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
Will Drum For Money

casacassette
pluggin' in mics

Post by casacassette » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:43 am

I find it a bit worrying that according to some replies here, people are graduating from audio school and become 'professional' engineers and have only read about tape and never even used cassette let alone a wider format? Or did I read that wrong? That's an awful mess....I'm not against digital, but you have to know your possibilities in both formats, no?

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:09 am

Still have not used a i Pod or any of those MP3 players ..........I have a DAW without a USB/Firewire connection. There will always be those differences with age & experience. Sure I may get a CD player in the car by 2015 but, just not a necessity.
whatever happened to ~ just push record......