bizzare delta 1010 issue

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

xhavepatiencex
takin' a dinner break

bizzare delta 1010 issue

Post by xhavepatiencex » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:47 pm

I am having some very strange problems an I am not sure who to go to about solving them. I will attempt to make this all make sense.

I have one black lion audio modded delta 1010, I have had this for well over a year at this point with no issues at all.

Last spring I bought another delta 1010 from a guy on craigslist for very cheap. It had some work done on it "replacing power supply caps"

When I got the unmodded interface I put it into my computer and tested it and everything seemed to work fine. Around september I moved, as well did my studio, around this time I did a major computer upgrade (new motherboard, cpu, ram ect)

after I did this to my computer I was getting clicks and/or static (which sounds like its oscillating) out of the left channel. I noticed this would not happen if I completely removed the unmodded interface.

I figured my issue maybe a hardware problem with the new computer so I ended up replacing the motherboard and ram, and still am having the same problem.

Now today, I am playing around with it, and I noticed the unmodden one also seems to work normally with the modded interface not hooked up. Together though the modded one will sometimes click, and the unmodded one will have lots of clicking and static on both outputs.

Anyway, does anyone have suggestions on what I should do, or any places to take either interface to get it looked at. I realize these are so cheap on the used market I really don't want to send up spending more than they are worth to get them looked at. I do not know anyone else with a otherwise perfectly working 1010 to bring it over to try to figure out which interface may be causing the actual issue. thank you! sorry for the long read!

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:04 pm

Do you only have static on the outputs? Does the noise get recorded?

With 2 boards installed, can you tell if either of them are using a shared IRQ with each other or some other device?

Are you Using ASIO or WDM? If ASIO try larger buffers, with WDM try increasing your latency.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

xhavepatiencex
takin' a dinner break

Post by xhavepatiencex » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:11 pm

the cards are not sharing an IRQ, and noise is not being record. It will happen even if the breakout boxes are not connected. It seems to be the card itself. :cry:

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:28 pm

how do you have the two 1010s synced? i tried using word clock on mine once and this is exactly what happened. i also hear this sometimes if the s/pdif sampling rate and the normal sample rate don't match.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

xhavepatiencex
takin' a dinner break

Post by xhavepatiencex » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:29 pm

if I sync them via word clock it happens, and if I dont sync them it happens. I have not tried syncing via the s/pdif maybe thats worth a try?

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:29 am

i would try the s/pdif sync. i find that if my 1010s aren't synced, they tend to pop and click a lot.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

xhavepatiencex
takin' a dinner break

Post by xhavepatiencex » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:43 am

I tried this just with an average rca cable... thus far it has not made the noise I am going to buy a real s/pdif cable as soon as the store opens. If this solves my problem I will feel like an idiot. I had them synced via word clock before.. but who knows maybe its more stable with spdif.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:40 am

I use the multi card sync for my 1010 and 2 delta 44s HOWEVER it will only work if you use ASIO. There is a lot of debate about this out there, but I confirmed it by contacting M-Audio.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

sawtooth66
audio school graduate

Post by sawtooth66 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:16 am

Hello.
Can someone please guide me through a correct SPDIF synching of 2 delta 1010 LT's. I'm getting cracks and pops on my second delta on a brand new DAW.
I'd like to try and synch by SPDIF to see if that my fix things. I'm just getting extreme hiss with my attempts so far. I've got to be doing something wrong.
Thanks for any help!-

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:13 am

This may sound like a stupid question but what happens when you set each to use their own internal clocks?
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

sawtooth66
audio school graduate

Post by sawtooth66 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:20 pm

I discovered the"crackling/popping" problem on this new computer with both delta's set to internal synch.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:49 pm

What do the folks at bla say? There might be a known incompatibility between modded and unmodded units.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Major
pluggin' in mics

Post by Major » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:26 am

I had 2 stock Delta 1010s a few years ago and very smiliar problems (pops and clicks). Once I synced them via SPDIF the issues went away. Sorry it's been a while so I can't walk anybody through the process.

theDan
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by theDan » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:20 am

To sync two 1010s with SPDIF you have to set each of each of them to internal clock. Kind of counterintuitive, but its the only way.