need a good "beginner" book for schematics to buil

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

brownplus
studio intern

need a good "beginner" book for schematics to buil

Post by brownplus » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:52 pm

i've worn out the search function here and still can not find any info on some good beginner books for schematics for audio....i am comfortable with hvac and "common appliance" etc...schem.s but my electrical books form school don't seem to have a flow for the audio side of things

Any diy for dummies pertaining to audio....esp. with indexes geared towards what trans/opamp/etc... to get when building something specific like a mic pre on the jenson transformer page?

thanks much
i can't look back at all the stuff i sold...its like looking back at worldcom stock sold the day after

small amps. big strings and single coils

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:49 pm

it's not a book, but www.groupdiy.com tons of schematics, projects with pcbs, support from other users. takes a little more digging to get the info than reading a book, but there are a bunch of very qualified people who are willing to answer your questions... much like TOMB.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:33 pm

"Electronic Projects for Musicians" by Craig Anderton is a good bet if you can get your hands on it.
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:12 pm

The Jensen schems are pretty specific about the parts, from what I remember. AD797 and 5534 for the opamps...

The Anderton book did well by me 15 years ago.

The Forrest Mims books are great if you want nickle-and-dime projects as well...some audio, some not. Radio Shack used to sell some little pamphlets for a buck or two - they were cool because all of the projects used parts you could get at RS, and nothing over about $5 total.

Learning how to effectively use the Mouser and Digikey catalogs is also beneficial. The paper ones are much easier to get a sense of what they carry than their websites.

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:01 am

CurtZHP wrote:"Electronic Projects for Musicians" by Craig Anderton is a good bet if you can get your hands on it.
. . . assuming you build something out of it where all the parts are still available. Aren't some of the ICs he specs no longer made?

Last I saw, PAIA still sold kits for some of those projects.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:03 pm

Aren't some of the ICs he specs no longer made?
Last I looked, Paia also made a little sub-module board that let you swap in a current production opamp for the obsolete one.

brownplus
studio intern

Post by brownplus » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:30 pm

all is appreciated...thanks for all the info

i'm gonna get those books and more....i figure it's like anything else, you read and read and read and sooner or later it starts to make sense....kind of like Ulysses?

THis forum is great, lots of helpful people, thanks again!
i can't look back at all the stuff i sold...its like looking back at worldcom stock sold the day after

small amps. big strings and single coils