"real world" reference monitors

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

xhavepatiencex
takin' a dinner break

"real world" reference monitors

Post by xhavepatiencex » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:39 pm

what is everyone using, I am looking at options similar to avatone mix cubes, but I would like something active, and 400 dollars seems a little steep for something that seems to be geared toward not sounding good. What are people using, boomboxes? pc speakers? give me cheap ideas.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:46 pm

My "lowest common denominator" speakers:

At home I have an old Auratone. I know that doesn't really help much.

At work I use the built-in speaker on my video monitor.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

charlievela
gettin' sounds

Post by charlievela » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:58 pm

I love the JBL ON STAGE

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:24 am

If you're looking for near-field NS10-type speakers I can't reccommend the Yamaha HS50Ms more. I just saw them on sale at Guitarcenter for like $160 each. I've got a pair and I love them.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:55 pm

I used to have this awesome boombox with a line in.
I used to mix on that, some JBLs and some humungo PA speakers about 20 feet away.
Now I use some godawful recoton computer speakers. They have such a lack of bass and treble that if I can get the kick and bass to speak thru them then I am almost done.
I also have 3 pairs of headphones I like to jump around on to get totally different perspectives. Way cheaper than 3 sets of speakers, and take up a lot less room!
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

xhavepatiencex
takin' a dinner break

Post by xhavepatiencex » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:14 pm

thanks for the suggestions everyone, I am looking at maybe using a pair of minimus 7's does anyone use those with good success for this purpose?

littlesongs
pushin' record

Post by littlesongs » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:13 pm

+1 on the Auratones.

+1 on a variety of headphones and whatnot. It never hurts to have an old rewired 60's transistor radio, or a pair of '70s Koss or Pioneer cans, or an '80s Walkman and boombox. Total garage sale joy.

In the portable "size of headphones" range, the passive Sony SRS P-7 is a useful and blunt little bargain.

I know people who swear by their Minimus 7 speakers. Radio Shack has carried a few good small monitor options over the years. I have an old Realistic Solo-4C that I like to use.

If you are looking for "real world" monitoring -- and you are not afraid of flea markets, thrift stores or Craigslist -- I think you could make that $400 go a long way.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:53 pm

xhavepatiencex wrote:thanks for the suggestions everyone, I am looking at maybe using a pair of minimus 7's does anyone use those with good success for this purpose?
I've been using them for ~ 20 years for this purpose. Like them more than my fancy Tannoys, as they don't lie to me.

However, "success" may not be the appropriate word for my recordings....
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:38 am

kingmetal wrote:If you're looking for near-field NS10-type speakers I can't reccommend the Yamaha HS50Ms more. I just saw them on sale at Guitarcenter for like $160 each. I've got a pair and I love them.
+1 They don't sound pretty, but they translate. I keep the hi-freq attenuated on mine.

+1 for minimus 7's too.