No votes
other
67%

Total votes: 30

Wayfarer
audio school graduate

If you could only have one mic...

Post by Wayfarer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:28 am

Hello to all! I hope that this question isn't too much of a repeat or a bother, but I must know.

If you only had the monies to purchase one mic to use for quite a while, and you were intending to record a wide variety of acoustic instruments (guitar, hurdy gurdy, harp, harmonium, frame drums, flute and pennywhistles) and voice, which would you choose?

Priced between $300-$500 on the ebay (Buy It Now and Or Best Offer).

I will be using a ProFire 2626 for my interface and preamp.

Thanks so much for your time!

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:15 am

I answered "other" - OktavaMod 219/319

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:40 am

I answered other, although my top choice on your list is the AT4050, of which I own a pair.

For other, I would also add AKG 414 B/ULS, of which I also own. You get a fourth pattern (hypercardioid) compared to the AT4050, and it is a total workhorse. I would DEFINITELY go for a multi-pattern mic in this price range.

However, I have been using my AT4050s everywhere that I would normally place my 414B/ULS. Room, bottom snare lately. Awesome mic.

I paid under $700 for my pair of AT4050s, which were brand new with warranties, from this eBayer: http://myworld.ebay.com/openboxmusic. I believe that they are a back door to Guitar Center or Sam Ash.

Forget the AKG 214 when you can easily find an AKG 414 B/ULS for under $500 used. Just buy from a reputable person. I paid $405 shipped for mine back in 2003 via eBay, and back then they were still being manufactured. That is the best price I have ever seen, but I regularly see $500-$550 for one of them.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:42 pm

Other...

...my mic of choice would be Scott Helmke's "Alice" mic.

Don't get me wrong, I truly prize my OktavaMod 012 and my 4033, but my "Alice" can deliver aggressively in more applications with almost unmatched glowing mids, sweet highs, and really solid bottom end. Can't do without it.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:53 pm

One good route would be to get an Oktava mc012, and match it up with an omni capsule and something like a Lomo M1 capsule.
Or a 4050, which works on nearly everything.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:26 pm

I answered other as well... I'd take the Sure SM-7 or a Neumann.
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:57 pm

:shock: no 414
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:03 pm

If I could only have one mic and it had to be as versatile as possible for that budget I'd go with the Shure SM7. It's not the best mic at any price but it's a damned good mic and probably the best on a wide variety of sources for that price. It's also very durable physically and doesn't get overloaded easily so it works for vocals whether you're crooning or screaming.

I originally bought mine for vocals but I've ended up using it on everything but drum OH at one time or another with good results.

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:18 pm

mjau wrote:One good route would be to get an Oktava mc012, and match it up with an omni capsule and something like a Lomo M1 capsule.
Or a 4050, which works on nearly everything.
Not a bad suggestion. I was also thinking Gefell MV692 which will probably run you at least 400$ just for one capsule, but you can always get more later when you have more cash. That's my suggestion for one mic.

But, I would also question getting one mic with this budget (not knowing your whole current setup.) I think that if I could only use mics purchased for 500$, I would get one ribbon, one dynamic, and one condensor, to give myself the widest possible range from which to choose from. With that (and your budget) in mind, I would say:

Electrovoice PL80 (My favorite budget dynamic, sounds almost as good as my SM7.)

Oktava MK12 (or a pair of Naiant XM mics, they're so much better than their price.)

Cascade fathead, or a Shinybox with the standard transformer.

You should be able to find all but the Naiants (and maybe Shinybox) on Ebay.
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:49 pm

ipressrecord wrote:I answered other, although my top choice on your list is the AT4050...
that is exactly what i was going to post.

runners-up: modded 219, 635a, i5, m160
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:42 pm

for your application I'd say oktava MC012, modded or not.
But in general I'd go for something more prosaic like a 421, SM7 or RE20 in that price range.
The 441 can be almost condenserish in how good it sounds.
I've heard good and bad reviews of the baby bottle. And I am very skeptical of the 214. The 414 gets its cardioid not with just one capsule!
A lot of folks like SM81's on your kind of sources.
I've got an SE1000(?) it's okay. No very accurate but surely warm.
The GT mics are good, some are great, but I never liked them on acoustic sources unless they sounded awesome to begin with. Like a Taylor will sound good but a mahogany Martin will sound pretty dull.
I'd definetly resist the temptation to grab a bunch of cheap chinese condensers.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Wayfarer
audio school graduate

Post by Wayfarer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:04 am

I thank ye all for your replies and suggestions!

The Oktava MC012 and additional capsules is quite intriguing indeed? Does the M1 capsule really make the MC012 sound like a U87? Is it really considered modding if all you are doing is swapping the capsule? Or is there more involved than meets the eye?

I am also leaning towards the AT4050, seeing since it also has several votes, although most of them unofficially...

The three mic suggestion is not lost on me...

Why no on a 414?

I will probably stay away from the GT (I play with a cheap Fender acoustic). What are the 421 and 441's? :oops: And thanks for pointing out the single capsule on the C214! That is something I missed in reading the specs...

The SM81 seems nice for the instruments, but what about voice? I record with an almost singer/songwriter-ly approach...I mean, the main voice is pretty much up front.

The idea of a dynamic mic (SM7) is sort of unattractive, but I am open to the idea. I do like the low noise and hyper-cardioid aspect about it. What I read from reviews and such, it is a tempting option. Thriller? Really?

Anyhoo, I am still going to take my time on this. I do have to choose "the one" without being able to date it for a while...

Thanks again, but keep the suggestions coming....please!

lotusstudio
pushin' record

Post by lotusstudio » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:34 am

Rode K2
You just got to keep puttin' the good stuff out there

http://www.myspace.com/jimlotusstudio

http://www.myspace.com/vangoghsear500

jv
pushin' record

Post by jv » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:02 am

In your situation (recording a lot of different acoustic instruments), I think I would go for a condenser mic over a dynamic. Also, a multi-pattern would be nice, since that would give you more flexibility.
I have a 414 BULS that I've used for almost 20 years, and I'd say that it sounds good on almost anything. I think you can still occasionally find them on ebay for under $500.
I haven't used a 4050 before, but that would probably also be a good choice. I do have a 4033 and like that a lot.

bronsonmestizo
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by bronsonmestizo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:39 am

ipressrecord wrote: For other, I would also add AKG 414 B/ULS, of which I also own. You get a fourth pattern (hypercardioid) compared to the AT4050, and it is a total workhorse. I would DEFINITELY go for a multi-pattern mic in this price range.

Forget the AKG 214 when you can easily find an AKG 414 B/ULS for under $500 used. Just buy from a reputable person. I paid $405 shipped for mine back in 2003 via eBay, and back then they were still being manufactured. That is the best price I have ever seen, but I regularly see $500-$550 for one of them.

Jeff
+10 on 414 B/ULS... I love mine... very versatile.