cranesong avocet

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

cranesong avocet

Post by Jon Nolan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 pm

i'm missing something. how/why would someone mixing OTB use an avocet? wouldn't this be a useful tool only if you could use it's two channel D/A coming out of the computer?

would one just use it from the master L/R outs before the speakers, why would it be good there other than stepped atten. knob for reference?

EDIT: please let me know if i've asked a dumb arse question :)

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:49 am

The question begs a question:

Why would you think this in the first place?
Think of this situation, I mean.
This feels a bit like a non sequitur...
like if I asked: "why would someone using protools buy 10 reels of tape?"
or, "why is the all analog studio stockpiling hard rives?"

Weird premise.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:09 am

You still need a good 2 channel DA if you're mixing OTB, unless you're mixing to analog tape and sending that to mastering. But, if you're printing your mixes back to digital, then you need a way to monitor those mixes as you're printing them. You wanna monitor how they sound AFTER they hit the AD converter going in. The only way to do this is with a good quality DA. In this case (mixing back to digital) monitoring from the Avocet is like monitoring your mix from the repro head rather than the input.

If you're just monitoring off of the mixer output, then you aren't hearing what the mixdown medium (the AD converter) is doing to your mix.

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:12 am

joel hamilton wrote:The question begs a question:

Why would you think this in the first place?
Think of this situation, I mean.
This feels a bit like a non sequitur...
like if I asked: "why would someone using protools buy 10 reels of tape?"
or, "why is the all analog studio stockpiling hard rives?"

Weird premise.
see my edit "add-on"

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:22 am

It's definitely not a dumb question. If you're mixing OTB and printing the mix back to digital, how can you monitor the mix you're printing without a good stereo DA converter?

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:24 am

subatomic pieces wrote:You still need a good 2 channel DA if you're mixing OTB, unless you're mixing to analog tape and sending that to mastering. But, if you're printing your mixes back to digital, then you need a way to monitor those mixes as you're printing them. You wanna monitor how they sound AFTER they hit the AD converter going in. The only way to do this is with a good quality DA. In this case (mixing back to digital) monitoring from the Avocet is like monitoring your mix from the repro head rather than the input.

If you're just monitoring off of the mixer output, then you aren't hearing what the mixdown medium (the AD converter) is doing to your mix.
ok, now i kinda get it.

as far as the premise of my question goes...

that shit is expensive. i see it in a lot of studios. i read about the avocet, but as a result of my inexperience, i still couldn't wrap my 40 watt noggin around why i see it everywhere.

i like the idea of understanding what commonly used tools are used for, and what specific needs they fill, so that if or when i hit a point where i say "i wish there was a box that...." - then i know where to go ;)

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:03 am

It's just ("just" is a bit of an understatement though) a monitoring controller...

True, a wonderful monitoring controller with a phenomenal (IMO) DA converter. Which is the most vital DA in any chain at any time in any situation. Plus, all the usual needs and wants - Input and output switching, post-chain mono summing and inversion, headphone amplifier, etc.

Once you use it, it's hard to imagine not using it...
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering