Any word on Potluck Con 2009?---interesting news!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lunatic
steve albini likes it

Post by lunatic » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:30 pm

Frank!

Howdy, stranger. Please keep me in the loop on this. *IF* I can help and attend... I will!

Get in touch soon. I'm pretty sure I owe you a beer...
Brad Smalling
Evergroove Studio
A Solar Powered Colorado Recording Studio

purple pie pete
alignin' 24-trk

tape op con detroit

Post by purple pie pete » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:19 am

I'm in for the Detroit shindig. I've never been able to make it out to these events, usually just bad timing on my part, and would love to meet some of you guys. Let me know if I can do anything to get this going for this summer. I don't have a large studio, but I'd be happy to have some people over. I agree that it might be a good idea to try and get Vintage King and/or White Room Studio involved in this, too.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:34 pm

goldstar wrote:(There is a bit of personal editorial in the following, but it comes with the blessings of conference director Craig Schumacher, who I talked to this morning.)

Sad but true, the Potluck/TapeOp conference we've experienced the last 7 years won't make a return in 2009 in the form we've come to know and love, but don't give up hope yet.

What we hope will happen for 2009 will be a bit of a DIY/Family Reunion/Future Planning and Bull Session, quite likely over the Labor Day weekend, and possibly in conjunction with Club Congress in Tucson. This is a very early, still subject-to-change plan, but will at least include some of the social component that was such a huge part of the success of all the conferences.

The catch: for this year, everybody, past panelists included, will have to pay their own way. There is no panelist budget, no music budget, no catering budget, no budget at all.

How will it work? We don't know, we're not pros at this conference stuff, but we're gonna try hard and see if we can brainstorm a way to carry on with the best parts of the past events, and move forward with a viable, sustainable meeting of the best minds in the recording business. We're not sure if this will include any of the exhibitors or gear makers; frankly, we hope it will, since they bring a lot to the table when they attend.

We'll set up a blog or website soon to keep everyone appraised of developments. For now, keep an eye on this thread (and tell your friends).

Frank Lambrick
Potluck/TapeOp Conference assistant 2003-2008
Frank,

This is fantastic news. Please tell Craig and I'm IN!

I'm gonna make this a Sticky too!

goose
ass engineer

Post by goose » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:57 am

Tony, looking forward to seeing you tonight, looks like there's a lot to talk about and consider. Exciting!

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

Post by goldstar » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:51 pm

Here's a little more info about this years' get-together, which will piggyback in some way with this event, put on by the Hotel Congress in Tucson.

http://hocofest.com/

Still very scanty on details for the conference portion, but past TapeOp/Potluck panelists get into this years conference events free; you still have to cover your own accommodations and music events, though.

Hotel Congress is pretty small, but they have set up $99 rooms with a couple of other hotels in Tucson if they run out.

More news as it happens.

Frank

lunatic
steve albini likes it

Post by lunatic » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:28 pm

No dates yet. Or am I blind...
Brad Smalling
Evergroove Studio

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:23 pm

lunatic wrote:No dates yet. Or am I blind...
Looks like September 4-6

lunatic
steve albini likes it

Post by lunatic » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:19 am

Drat... drat... DOUBLE DRAT!

Already out of town up North on those dates. Maybe next year I can volunteer.
Brad Smalling
Evergroove Studio

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Tue May 26, 2009 7:06 am

Is there any news regarding the Detroit thingy?

Thanks,
Tom
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

goose
ass engineer

Post by goose » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:35 pm

I dropped the ball on the Detroit thingie. I shall pick said ball back up and see what I can get going.....

goose
ass engineer

Post by goose » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:16 am

So I'm thinking that this Detroit/SE Michigan get together can be a one day thing, with maybe a show at a local club in the evening.

Do any of these dates have any conflicts that I'm not thinking of (other conferences, etc.?):

8/22 (though, that might be cutting it close)
8/29
9/26
10/3 (A week before AES)

I had talked with a couple places about hosting this, and I will make some new calls on Monday if we can get a little bit of consensus about the dates.

I'm thinking somewhere between $25 and $45 to cover a lunch, some snacks & drinks, room rental, and any AV needs depending on who can host this. More on this after I talk to the various facilities.

What sayeth the mighty TOMB?