Natural-souding drum samples

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:11 pm

We use no real drum tracks ...only samples.....played from a 24 pad Trap Kat. The Kat allows 3 or more samples per pad ...

We have 2 Kurzweil samplers with 16 outputs @ our DAW and automate/mix from there.
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

henge
studio intern

Post by henge » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:16 am

Hi Guys. First post. Great forum by the way.
I use BFD2 and the program has an anti " machine gun" mode which works really well. There are 96 velocity layers per articulation, so it seems to work really well!
Anton Evans
Reaper, Intel Core 2 Quad 6600, Soundtoys, BFD2, Pod X3, Fender Vibro Champ, CSR, Smith CR5G, HS80m's, KRK, Stillwell Plugs

http://www.antonevans.com
[url]

acstctws
audio school

Post by acstctws » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:43 pm

And the latest versions of Drumagog can trigger BFD samples. I haven't tried it myself, but it sounds like it could come in handy for helping the level of realism.

majortom
pushin' record

Post by majortom » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:54 pm

well, being a drummer, my first thought would be that it seems many people making music that are not drummers feel like they know what fills/grooves cymbals etc... should sound like. I have found that most don't get it right.

There's nothing worse than a great song recorded well with poor sounding drums and the ways to make drums sound bad are many.
I play a bit of guitar and recorded some of my own on my last cd, a friend who is a much better guitarist came over and in 5 min explained and showed me what I was really going after in the first place. My point is having someone around who KNOWS the sounds is a really good idea.

That said, if you gotta use samples, G-band has a bunch and they all sound good and can be chopped up to fit. Another good alternative is "drums on demand"(real drums real players). A friend just sent me some songs using those and the grooves are nice, al iittle sterile for my taste but done well.
Of course this is assuming what you want is "traditional" sounding drums (as though played by a real drummer) and not that sequenced sound.

As stated I think the hardest thing to reproduce artificially is dynamics and feel.

Platinum Samples
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Platinum Samples » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:05 am

Listen to the demos done with BFD...

https://www.platinumsamples.com/JoeBarresi.html

Rail
www.platinumsamples.com
??????????????????????????????????????????????????

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:23 am

Listen to some of the demos done with Drumagog

http://www.rock-drums.com/samples.htm

brinnbacka
ass engineer

Post by brinnbacka » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:50 am

majortom
pushin' record

Post by majortom » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:30 am

Yeah there are lots of sample out there by pros that sound great.
I was just saying that most of the time the one's i hear cut up and put together by people who don't play the drums often sound like great samples put together by someone who doesn't play the drums.
As I said about my own experience with recording the guitar, my ear hears what i think may be right and then a great guitarist comes in and listens for 5 seconds and tells me what it should sound like. Just my 2 cents.

against88
takin' a dinner break

Post by against88 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:00 pm

holy shit.
yes.
purdie.
(dare i say...) FTW.

i need to be reminded of this as often as possible. we should all be way better than we are. drummers, singers, engineers, writers, etc. ok back to work!

brinnbacka
ass engineer

Post by brinnbacka » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:20 am

Purdie indeed!

I would even go as far as saying that the quality of programming is of more importance than the quality of the samples used.

majortom
pushin' record

Post by majortom » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:21 am

yep to that!

and on the Purdie thought, I can't imagine how tough it would be to program (from scratch, no loops) one of his shuffle grooves with ghosts, subtle accents and the full dynamics that he can lay down in one 4 bar groove.

brinnbacka
ass engineer

Post by brinnbacka » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:45 am

majortom wrote:yep to that!

and on the Purdie thought, I can't imagine how tough it would be to program (from scratch, no loops) one of his shuffle grooves with ghosts, subtle accents and the full dynamics that he can lay down in one 4 bar groove.
Exactly. I think it's basically impossible no matter what. Or insanely time consuming at least.

FrugalGuitarist.com
audio school graduate

Post by FrugalGuitarist.com » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:51 am

I just picked up Sonic Reality's new Infinite Player JB(John Blackwell) Session Multitrack Sonr Drum Kit (hear clips here) and it sounds incredibly dynamic and real with full control over mic mixing. I also have DKFH2, several SONiVOX libraries, EMU's Protean Drums, and a ton of one off samples and nothing really compares. I picked up their Bonzo Beats and NVD(Nick D Virgilio) Multitrack GRTSCH kits as well last night but haven't had a chance to audition them yet.
Visit my e-zine www.frugalguitarist.com dedicated to providing our readers with detailed reviews of under-the-radar gear and guides to the best bargains on the net.

Big Tones, Low Bones!

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:13 pm

We perform the snare/cymbal rolls on the keyboard --the Kurzweils have great dynamics. When we build a crash/rolling cymbal ....we generally use 2-3 tracks. One~ starting the roll and the second~ the crescendo of another sample as is diffuses and then a blended ride as it trails. All this is recorded to the Kurz sequencer.
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

trevord
gettin' sounds

Post by trevord » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:28 pm

Have to second the combination of proper samples and midi instrument

1) Use a midi instrument you can do a roll on - I use mini-Kat and roland Handsonic

2) get samples with actual variation in them depending on velocity etc.

also depending on the instrument you are trying to emulate
lets say a snare - with a tight sequence like a roll or flam the snares are still vibrating when the second and later strokes hits.

This is what caused that mid freq build-up - the sampler is playing the snare sample as if its the first stroke every time

Play with the sampler settings
1) set it to mono - only one stroke at a time
2)set it to legato - usually samplers will have have different legato modes to match different instruments - you want to set the mode where the first note plays the sample from the start - the following note plays the "looping" or "continuous" portion of the sample. Unfortunately few sampler have looping samples for the drums.

if you dont have a midi stick instrument - program a delay or echo timed in tempo - this way you can control the decay with much more feel than doing it by hand.