Would You Participate in an Academic Study on Recording?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Navigator
audio school graduate

Would You Participate in an Academic Study on Recording?

Post by Navigator » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:54 am

Would You Consider Participating in an Academic Study on Recording?

In addition to being a musician and recording enthusiast (and Tape Op member) myself, I am a Ph.D. student and instructor in media studies at New York University. I?m currently working on my Ph.D. which about the general nature of contemporary recording, and the role and impact of digital technology in the field and practices of music production.

As part of my research, I am speaking with a wide variety of individuals who record music, to find out what their general practices and experiences have been, and also, the extent to which they utilize digital technology in their recording activities.

There is no specialized knowledge required to participate/contribute to the study. I just need folks to share with me what their experiences and perspectives are in relation to their recording lives, and how they use recording technology. So, if you are: a hobbyist, just recording for fun?a home studio owner?a commercial studio owner?an independent musician recording yourself?an independent engineer or producer working with others?a veteran engineer or producer?or a retailer or designer of technology, an A&R person, label owner, or any combination of all of the above ? I?d love to talk to you.

As the list above indicates, the field of music production is no longer limited in the ways that it once was, and I?m attempting to understand the varieties of people?s experience who today record music, and specifically, what role digital recording technology plays in these experiences.

Hopefully, all of the above isn?t too longwinded and you?ve got a sense of what I?m studying. I hope you?ll consider contacting me for a 45-60 minute interview over the phone, Skype, or in person (I?m in NYC). My own experience and knowledge of recording has largely centered around the Tape Op community, so I?m particularly hopeful that I will be able to include the insights of Tape Op?rs in the study.

Larry has already agreed to participate, so I hope you?ll considerate it too! Thanks for reading.

Bill Phillips
New York University
bill.phillips@nyu.edu

BENDYmusic
gettin' sounds

Post by BENDYmusic » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:37 pm

Sounds fascinating, count me in!!!

Navigator
audio school graduate

Post by Navigator » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:22 pm

Thanks so much to the few folks who have responded, and in a couple of cases whom I've actually had a chance to speak with.

I'm hoping to encourage some other folks to get in touch to share their experiences and thoughts on recording these days. If you have a home studio and/or are a musician recording your own music, I'd particularly love to hear about your experiences of recording. Thanks much for reading.

Bill

Bill Phillips
New York University
bill.phillips@nyu.edu

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:36 pm

i'm in nyc... my studio partner and i would definitely be interested.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

hughmanatee
gettin' sounds

Post by hughmanatee » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:44 pm

I'm In!

Navigator
audio school graduate

How about the hobbyists and self-recording musicians?

Post by Navigator » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:29 am

Thanks again to the folks who've spoken to me or have agreed to participate. It's been great hearing about people's different recording experiences.

I'm still looking for more people to talk to, and maybe I can get some more assistance from my fellow Tape Op'rs. I've had a number of professional and semi-professional recordists contact me, but very few who record "just for fun." I've also had very few musicians who have gotten into recording primarily to record their own music.

For someone (me) who is trying to make sense sociologically of this brave new world of independent recording, the experiences of people recording primarily for the fun of it, and unsigned musicians who are finally able to get their music recorded are really important and significant to document. So if you fall into either of these categories, or know someone who does, please consider contacting me and telling me of your experiences.

I'm also interested in speaking with anyone on the record label side (indie or major) who might be able to speak about how their work has been affected by the rise of independent recording as well. Thanks for reading this. And I hope to speak to more of you soon!

Bill
bill.phillips@nyu.edu (I'm in Brooklyn!)

If anyone

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: How about the hobbyists and self-recording musicians?

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:08 am

Navigator wrote:Thanks again to the folks who've spoken to me or have agreed to participate. It's been great hearing about people's different recording experiences.

I'm still looking for more people to talk to, and maybe I can get some more assistance from my fellow Tape Op'rs. I've had a number of professional and semi-professional recordists contact me, but very few who record "just for fun." I've also had very few musicians who have gotten into recording primarily to record their own music.

For someone (me) who is trying to make sense sociologically of this brave new world of independent recording, the experiences of people recording primarily for the fun of it, and unsigned musicians who are finally able to get their music recorded are really important and significant to document. So if you fall into either of these categories, or know someone who does, please consider contacting me and telling me of your experiences.

I'm also interested in speaking with anyone on the record label side (indie or major) who might be able to speak about how their work has been affected by the rise of independent recording as well. Thanks for reading this. And I hope to speak to more of you soon!

Bill
bill.phillips@nyu.edu (I'm in Brooklyn!)

If anyone
Bill,
I am in Brooklyn, and I have fun recording.
Email me.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:03 am

email sent

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:44 am

I'm in the 'aspiring' group, but I do it every day, at home, because I love it.
I'm also in Brooklyn, and if I can contribute something and help you, well, it may even help me make better recordings for it.

trevord
gettin' sounds

Post by trevord » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:07 pm

count me in as a non-professional
pm me for contact info

butler
audio school

Academic study

Post by butler » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:42 am

If you are still looking for people to talk to, I'm game. Email me through the Tape Op site, or my site (don't want to post my email address in the clear for spam bots):

http://www.butlerrecording.net/

Good luck...

Best,
CDB

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:04 am

I'm a college student and 'aspiring' musician, but I also love recording. I suppose I got into it to record myself, but I also record others and have a couple projects over the summer.

I'm also long-winded and philosophical, so if your interested PM me and I will give you my cell phone number.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:39 pm

I had a great time meeting up.
This is an incredibly cool premise, and a cool project all around. Thank you for involving me!

vvv
zen recordist

Re: How about the hobbyists and self-recording musicians?

Post by vvv » Fri May 01, 2009 7:14 am

Navigator wrote: ... people recording primarily for the fun of it, and unsigned musicians who are finally able to get their music recorded are really important and significant to document.
That would be me; I'm in Chicago.

I'll email atcha.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Fri May 01, 2009 2:32 pm

Hi Bill,

I'm in Brooklyn and would be happy to participate. For the past 5 years I had been working as an engineer and producer exclusively...

Now? I don't! As of 3 months ago when the economy started tankin' I decided to hunker down in a regular gig as a web-broadcasting producer. These days I only take on a couple of projects a month... mostly for fun... but also for money. ;)

Additionally, I got into professionally recording in a fairly new-school way, rather than through the traditional route of intern-assistant-engineer. So, if that perspective adds anything of value to your study, drop me a line. In either event, I hope you share a link to your results with us here when you're done.

justin(dot)colletti(at)gmail(dot)com