The Bare Minimum

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jive
audio school graduate

The Bare Minimum

Post by Jive » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:04 pm

Hey guys,
I'm guessing this was already a post, i promise I searched, but I couldn't find anything. So Here's the deal. I'm wondering about your suggestions for the bare minimum to get a decent recording. I really like writing songs, but I don't have a whole lot of patience for recording. Don't get me wrong, I have a blast laying my songs down on my little 4 track. But i'm not a knob twiddler, and I'm not the type to spend hours trying out different mic positions. But I want my recordings to sound good and I'm wondering about your suggestions for some entry lever yet decent gear.

Here's my current gear accumulation:

Tascam 4 track Cassette
Sm57 (borrowed)
RadioShack Mic (borrowed)
2 Boom Stands (I own 1 of these)

I'm thinking a compressor might add alot, but what do i know? Any suggestions?

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:18 pm

You've got one too many mics.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:20 pm

buy your own mic and stand, stop borrowing...cos eventually the person who owns it will want it back.

really, insofaras gear, that's all you need for 4-tracking.

you're capturing musical information, not (usually) making a sonic masterpiece.

i honestly think a compressor would be overkill.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:36 pm

What style of music?
What instrumentation?
What level of sonic excellence are you shooting for?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Jive
audio school graduate

Post by Jive » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:54 pm

It's all just acoustic stuff really. Guitar, piano sometimes, accordion, harmonica, light percussion, and vocals; I have a Juno-6 a put on there sometimes. As far as sonic excellence, I think excellent is a lofty goal that I'm not even really after. I'm shooting for some combination of creek drank the cradle, for emma forever ago, and Seven Swans. I guess I'm just wondering if there's some essential piece of something that will help add legitimacy to these recordings.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:12 pm

Jive wrote: I guess I'm just wondering if there's some essential piece of something that will help add legitimacy to these recordings.
A barcode.
Sorry. A stupid forum joke that I couldn't resist.
I'd recommend focusing on the songs. A good song is the most important thing in any recording. And keep recording and trying new things. You'll develop a style that'll sound best to you.
Get someone else to record your stuff. If need be find someone who's just starting out. They may not know a lot but they'll know more than you (maybe) and have a better setup.
If recording isn't your primary passion then don't worry about it. Focus on your music and let someone else concentrate on the sound. Let them spend the money on gear.
I'm too tired to be more succinct. I need to get to bed (couch actually)
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:47 am

what are you mixing down onto? If it's a computer, make sure you have a good soundcard.

It's been a while since I've used a 4-track, so I don't remember what the mic pres on those sound like. Getting something cheap like an m-audio dmp3 might be a step up. But it does kinda kill some of the simplicity of using a 4-track. It would give you more clean gain, a DI for your synth, and the possibility of using a condenser if you wanted.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:27 am

Jive wrote:for emma forever ago
Read and be inspired: http://www.mp3.com/features/stories/108 ... artfeature

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:42 am

If your desire is to upgrade, cheaply, and you wanna get into the fun of using things like compressors, etc., seems to me a cheap all-in-on DAW, used, might be the ticket.

I started on (still have) a Boss BR8 (records to ZIP, can export to .wav with ease) that really sounded pretty decent, lotsa digi-FX; I have seen 'em used for US$150. (You can't have mine!)

Korg, Tascam, Zoom, etc. all make small recorders going to flash cards, some to CD, that can be had very cheaply, especially used.

It's a thought ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:29 am

The bare minimum that I needed to start getting decent quality recordings was about 5 years of experience recording every day. The equipment was honestly not important. At this point (15 years later) I could easily make a GREAT recording using the gear that you have.

YMMV.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:45 am

I agree with the experience suggestion. Record any and everything with what you have. I probably learned some of my most valuable lessons about recording while tracking bird songs from my apartment with my only mic's - a stereo pair of c1000's. And it was great fun listening back, too.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:03 am

Get your own mics.

Get maybe one Shure SM57, and one condenser, like an AT 2020 or similar.

Then work on the songs.

Forget compression for now.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

On the cheap

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:58 am

If you have a computer [laptop] you can expand you options (send files by email to collaborators, submit to CD-Baby, etc.) and vastly improve your sonics and fidelity by getting a free DAW (for PC kristal is pretty cool and has VST capability for compressors, Fx, synths) and a good quality soundcard [USB recording interface (Behrinnnnger, alesissss)].

http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/index.php.

Better sound, virtual racks, many more tracks, and the convenience of digital files.

My two cents, available at 0.02 discount - today only.
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:03 am

A simple stand alone multitrack or a computer interface and a mic upgrade is whay I suggest. And just track track track!

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:40 pm

If you don't want to overdub you could get a Zoom H2.
Self contained, and easy to get sound onto the computer after you're done.

Last night I was tracking at Big Red Studio and Billy played me a track done by a girl singer songwriter where they used a Zoom H2. She was sitting at the producers desk in the control room and they just turned it on and there was a great sounding track.
Billy was so shocked at the sound that he dragged out his Klaus Heyne modified U87's to see what the difference would be and while it was indeed somewhat better, it wasn't WAY WAY WAY better.....

Point of story is that you can get really great results with entry level gear.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.