Upgrading M-Audio FW 1814 with preamp and A/D/A converter?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

skoda
audio school

Upgrading M-Audio FW 1814 with preamp and A/D/A converter?

Post by skoda » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:28 pm

I have been using a Firewire 1814 with Pro Tools M-Powered for a little while now, and it has been fine for doing home demo type stuff. I would like to record a more professional sounding project (to be mixed at a studio), but don't know if it makes more sense to invest in a good mic pre (any recommendations?) and a good a/d/a converter (the RME ADI-2 seems to be praised), or to scrap the 1814 and get a better input box (though moving out of the M-Audio world probably means learning - any paying for - new software). Ideally, I'd like to spend less than $1000, or $1200 max, for this upgrade. Any ideas?

Also, would the signal flow go: mic - preamp - a/d converter - 1814 - computer?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:01 pm

I know the 1814 does not get a lot of love around here and I may not be as experienced as many others on this board, but for me a good player, with a good instrument in a decent sounding room recorded with a good microphone into a good preamp will have way more effect on the sound then upgrading the converters. That is also the order that I personally would improve things in. Also how many inputs are you recording at one time? What kind of mics are you using on what sources?

skoda
audio school

Post by skoda » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:30 am

I'll probably be recording at most two inputs at once. Sources will most likely be limited to acoustic and electric guitar, vocal, accordion, and percussion. For microphones, I have an AT2020 and AT2021, some SM57s, and a random AKG. It's also been recommended that I get a better vocal mike, the AT4050 and AKG 414 XLII have been suggested.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:47 am

Those seem like decent mics, but I bet something like a 4050 or AKG 414 would make more of a difference to your recordings than new converters.

skoda
audio school

Post by skoda » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:34 pm

Thanks for the advice; I'll invest in a new microphone first.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:43 pm

Just my $.02...

I used to have the FW1814, and it's drivers are bad news (or were in 2006) for my Macs. I have heard that the drivers are fine for PC. If I had a PC and was using Pro Tools M-Powered, I would get one of the Light-Bridge things, the FW interface that allows you to plug-in any ADAT interface to it. Now you can use any converter with M-Powered, via ADAT lightpipe, up to 24 inputs I believe. I hear that the Presonus Digimax FS has nice conversion, and it is ADAT outs. So if you sold your 1814 for a lightbridge, you would have enough cash to grab 1 or 2 Digimax FS converters. Or grab one now and have room for expansion later and invest the $$$ into some new mics.

As far as mics go, I would base my initial mic setup around a drum kit. What do you need in order to record a drum kit? And, what other instruments will these mics be able to record when you are not recording drums?

I would look into getting, if not now, then with in 12-18 months:
? Pair of SDCs (Oktava MK-012s, Shure SM81s, etc)
? Pair of LDCs with multipattern, or a single (AKG 414, AT4050)
??Large diaphragm Dynamic (RE20, SM7b, MD421)
? Several smaller Dynamics (sm57s, etc)
??Pair of Ribbons?

I also would say that if you are on a budget that you should check out the Naiant mics. I have an older pair of theirs, which are basically Tape Op Omnis that accept phantom power. They are great. Search around TOMB to see what folks like that they currently offer. these things could be your overhead pair for now, and later will become filler mics. For $29 each you could purchase 2-4 of the X-D Drum Condenser Microphones to have now and most likely use them later on, too.

The whole point is to purchase mics that you can immediately use on more than one source that you will have indefinitely because, well, they are industry standard and sound great. For instance, I still have my SM57 that I bought in 1997, and I still have the other two that I picked up for under $50 on ebay along the way. I still have one pair of traditional SDCs that I picked up back in 2000, the Oktava MK-012s, however I just spent money this year to have Michael Jolly modify them, and last year I picked up two extra sets of capsules for them. And I bought a 414 B/ULs and AT4047 back in 2003 and there is no chance that I'll ever sell them. After looking to pick up a second 414 to have a pair I found a deal on two AT4050s for under $700 and jumped on it. I'll eventually pick up another 414, but now I have options.

The SDC pair that you pick up can be used for overheads, acoustic guitar, guitar cab, percussion, piano, strings, etc. The LDC condenser can be used for kick drum if the SPLs are high enough (AT4047 was my go-to for a long time), but will also work on cabinets, mono overhead, vox, guitars, cello, etc. The LDD will work for kick, floor tom, snare, bass cab, guitar cabs, vocals, etc. And a smaller dynamic mic like a 57 will work on percussion, guitar cab, snare, etc. So building up for a drum kit will really cover a lot of ground.

Mic preamps... I've said it before and I'll say it again... Presonus MP20. Awesome preamp, can be had for under $300 these days, and you can open it up and add Burr-Brown op-amps without soldering for under $100. Or look for a Sytek MPX-4Aii for around $600 used, which you'll end up with four channels, possible two with Burr-Browns, that are really nice. I have both and like them a lot. the Presonus, however, is seriously nice for the going price.

Some other preamp bargins: Symetrix SX-202 (clean 2-channel preamp for under $150), EHX 12AY7 (can be had for $120 and you can add tubes to taste), Yamaha PM1000 channels (DIY or look on B/S/T or ebay. 2 - channels for around $400 racked).

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:27 pm

FWIW......I've been using a 1810 with a single G5 1.6 since it came out with no issues.