Are MXL 990 and 991 really crap?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

IanWalker
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by IanWalker » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:10 pm

eeldip wrote:or you could just back off the mic a bit. bright mics work well from distance i find, as long as the room sounds nice.

screen mods, as i understand it, tend to deal with really HF stuff, prevent smearing there. as only the HF material bounces around those cages. i really didnt hear that much of a difference on the high highs, but mostly it was because i was distracted by the whole 5k, 6k, thing going on there. (also, listening on my grado 80s which are decently bright to begin with). PEAKY PRESENCE. the pokey frequencies.

i dont think it will hurt the mic to pull off those screens if you keep pop screens around for vocalists.
That's about what I was thinking too. I don't plan on using them on any vocals anyway, so I'm not super-worried about that, although I do keep the pop screen handy for all vocal sessions.

I've got a session coming up at the house on the 9th/10th. Maybe I'll try them on something then.
--
Ian!
http://michigansoundservices.com/

Drivar dohaeris. Drivar morghulis. (All drives must serve. All drives must die. Basically, back up your data.)

ampguy
buyin' a studio

so what sounds better

Post by ampguy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:36 am

a stock mxl without a pop filter, or a modded one with the internal screens taken out, and using one in front of it?