Do those sharpie pens hurt the CDR's?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:30 pm

The Hot Dog Treadmill at 7-Eleven = cassingles.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:45 pm

What's a cassingle?

*hopes this isn't the dumbest question of the week*
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:31 pm

dsw wrote:What's a cassingle?

*hopes this isn't the dumbest question of the week*
i'm going to guess it's those cassettes they used to have that only had 1 or 2 songs on them and they cost like $5 or something.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:37 pm

I've seen magic marker melt the CD-R, but that was about 6 years ago. I've never had a problem with a Sharpie.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:37 pm

I've seen magic marker melt thru the paint on a car, too.

anyone who uses one of those on a CDR is just asking for trouble.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Rynders
audio school

Post by Rynders » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:43 pm

leigh wrote:To be safe, for archival stuff anyways I always write in a circle around the outside edge of the disc. Most of the time (if the data isn't filling all the space on the disc), there's no data burned that far out.

cheers,
Leigh
I've heard from an anal source that the light from the laser can pass through this region and cause havoc. He colored in that area to stop the light from passing though - something about it bouncing round within the housing of the burner and causing errors during the burn...

qball
pushin' record

Post by qball » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:52 am

I can tell you from personal experience that non water based markers will eventually bleed through the plastic laminate and destroy the aluminum layer where the data is written. It has happened to a few of my CDs over the years. To avoid this from happening, either use water based markers or write over an area that is not over the data on the other side (such as the inner hub or outer edge).

A software engineer/computer geek coworker always poked fun at me for believing this "myth"...until it happened to him. He even showed me the CD that went bad. When he held it up to the lights, you could actually see right through where he had written with a Sharpie!

These days, I use LightScribe for disks that I will be keeping for a long time. Sharpie works fine for all others.
I think women should leave the toilet seat UP!!!

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:59 am

Rynders wrote: I've heard from an anal source that the light from the laser can pass through this region and cause havoc. He colored in that area to stop the light from passing though - something about it bouncing round within the housing of the burner and causing errors during the burn...
Why would the laser be pointing at a part of the disc it can't right on? One of the nifty things about laser light is that it goes exactly where you point it in a beam that doesn't get any bigger as it travels away from the source. That's why they employ lasers instead of light bulbs to write and read CD's.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:26 am

But we all think outlining the edge in green Sharpie is mandatory for warm tone, right?

qball
pushin' record

Post by qball » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:30 am

CraigS63 wrote:But we all think outlining the edge in green Sharpie is mandatory for warm tone, right?
RED to make it LOUD!
I think women should leave the toilet seat UP!!!

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:41 am

i write in both red AND green, but that's only because i'm a sucker for all things christmas.

do you guys want to see my collection of rudolph figurines?

*hopes*

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:45 am

farview wrote:
Rynders wrote: I've heard from an anal source that the light from the laser can pass through this region and cause havoc. He colored in that area to stop the light from passing though - something about it bouncing round within the housing of the burner and causing errors during the burn...
Why would the laser be pointing at a part of the disc it can't right on?
I think that you must've missed the post that Rynders was responding to.
leigh wrote:o be safe, for archival stuff anyways I always write in a circle around the outside edge of the disc. Most of the time (if the data isn't filling all the space on the disc), there's no data burned that far out.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:21 pm

oh god, here we go.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:27 pm

I've got cd-r discs that were written on with sharpies years ago that still playback fine and look fine. I still buy the water-based ink pens, though, just to be safe.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:53 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:
farview wrote:
Why would the laser be pointing at a part of the disc it can't right on?
I think that you must've missed the post that Rynders was responding to.
leigh wrote:o be safe, for archival stuff anyways I always write in a circle around the outside edge of the disc. Most of the time (if the data isn't filling all the space on the disc), there's no data burned that far out.
OOOPS! I thought he was responding to the post about only writing on the hub. Never mind.