mods for mxl 990, art tube mp??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

snoopy23
gettin' sounds

mods for mxl 990, art tube mp??

Post by snoopy23 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:03 am

I saw some blurb online about mods that can be applied to a MXL 990 and to an ART Tube MP pre-amp that supposedly makes them sound like a high-quality vocal chain. However, my online searching has been fruitless. Does anyone here know of these mods and where I can find directions and schematics? Has anyone tried to do this? How did it work out for you?
Thanks!
Drummers might not be the smartest, but we are probably the strongest!

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by musikman316 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:23 am

Check Michael Joly's Oktavamod site for the 990 mod. It's actually a small diaphragm capsule in a side address body, but I've had some luck with singers whose voice's sounded pretty great on mine. Keep in mind that mine is currently not modded, although it's on the short list of things to do.

http://www.oktavamodshop.com/product_in ... cts_id=114

I don't know of any specific mods for the ART preamp, but I'm guessing you could try a different chip and tube? Maybe someone else on the board knows more about this one.

Josh

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:33 am

I think you'd be hard pressed to turn the Tube MP into something nice. Don't get me wrong, I have one too and it gets used a fair bit but I would never imagine it a a go too for vocal tracking.
Mostly mine gets used to fuck sounds up in an interesting and pleasant way. Distorted snare and vocals are a favorite. It was also a pretty good pre-amp for my Hohner Pianette.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:29 am

Modifying the grill on the 990 by cutting away the first 2 layers of mesh is well-known and makes a huge difference by exposing the capsule to more open air.

But dampening the mic's body is another consideration that's improves the mic because the cheap metal used for the body produces some bizarre resonance that really sucks.

There's no room inside the body to allow you to glue in a layer of neoprene so I approached it from the outside by putting on those thick rubber bands that the grocery stores use on broccoli bunches and other fresh produce. Totally TapeOp all the way man. No more reso-ring!
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

snoopy23
gettin' sounds

Post by snoopy23 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:37 am

Cutting grills and rubber bands? I like it! Yes, Totally Tape-Op! It will be like Joe Cocker, not much to look at but man, what a great sound! At least you can't see it in the speakers.... Thanks for the advice. I will try it and post my results.
Drummers might not be the smartest, but we are probably the strongest!

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Re: mods for mxl 990, art tube mp??

Post by kojdogg » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:00 am

snoopy23 wrote:I saw some blurb online about mods that can be applied to a MXL 990 and to an ART Tube MP pre-amp that supposedly makes them sound like a high-quality vocal chain. However, my online searching has been fruitless. Does anyone here know of these mods and where I can find directions and schematics? Has anyone tried to do this? How did it work out for you?
Thanks!
I think I know what you're talking about-- those are somewhere on the Prodigy Pro forums. The ART mods are for the Tube MP Project-- not the regular Tube MP.
________
New mexico medical marijuana
Last edited by kojdogg on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImaginaryCat
studio intern

MP

Post by ImaginaryCat » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:21 pm

Yes, the ART MP gets kicked around the studio floor. Don't forget we owe ART a THANK YOU for making the FIRST affordable mic preamp of the modern age, probably 10 years ago.

So first I will say why I like the Tube MP:

It makes a great bass DI
I use it as a reamp box
It's got tones of gain and I use it on my Fender Rhodes to get it up to a good input volume to use with a guitar amp.
The people at ART have always been really nice to me when I need parts.

Ok, changing the tube, anything is better then the stock. Also try subing the 12AX7 with an AT, AY, or any other crosses. The major drawback with these units is not the tone, it's the noise. A good quiet tube is a big step.
Please don't take out your rage on me. I have no patience for angry people.