Why cant I find Analog Delay in a 'rack'

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Why cant I find Analog Delay in a 'rack'

Post by Ryan Silva » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:55 pm

I love my EH memory man, and use it as an effect bus often, but I have now added it to my guitar rig when I gig. I don?t want to buy another one, but I also don?t want to remove it from my pedal board every time I need it for the studio. I've seen a ton of rack mount spring verbs but no analog delay. I mean there is the Space echo, and echoplex, but I'm happy without the tape.

Any Ideas?
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:07 pm

ibanez ad202, roland dc30, there are a few more, too...

i love both of those ones.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

BENDYmusic
gettin' sounds

Post by BENDYmusic » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:09 pm

I love my Boss DE-200. It was my first rack device, very sturdy, nice controls, sounds cool. You can find them for cheap on the bay. Also Chandler made a great rack delay.

&e
Andy Snavley

Chief Sound Bender
BENDY
http://bendymusic.com/
http://bendysound.com/

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:46 pm

Yamaha E1005 analog delay on eBay. This one hasn't got rack ears, but it'd be happy sitting on a rack shelf. Not quite as famous as the Ibanez AD-202; it's got a great tone all its own. I own one (and an E1010) and wouldn't part with it.

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:04 pm

Moogerfooger Analog Delay is another pedal but you can buy a rack mounting kit that fits (I think) 3 moog pedals in a 3u or 4u space. Sounds amazing, too.

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:16 pm

rhythm ranch wrote:Yamaha E1005 analog delay on eBay. This one hasn't got rack ears, but it'd be happy sitting on a rack shelf. Not quite as famous as the Ibanez AD-202; it's got a great tone all its own. I own one (and an E1010) and wouldn't part with it.
2nd that, I have one of each of those as well, love them. Good LFO action, good tone.

To the OP: the Yamaha E1005 and E1010 are some of the easier to find analog rack delays. The E1010 has rack ears, the E1005 not, but no big deal to attach to a rack shelf. They are both 2ru real estate hogs, but earn some of their keep back by looking very 70's cool big knobby.

Ibanez ad202 and ad230 are some of the most well regarded. Also w/ LFO. Very good tone. Quieter due to companding around the BBD. Also 2ru.

Old DOD. R-880 for example, and there are other models from that same period of time. Darker and dirtier, but in a cool way.

ADA made several models. Some very pricey and collectible now.

And *lots* of off-brand ones from the 70's and 80's floating around. Example: I have two "Stage" DE-1 analog delay boxes that are sort of half rack 2ru odd sized. They sound great. Lofi in the best way. Easy to mod as well, lots of open space inside.

Get one with LFO if you can. Makes a huge difference in options.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:28 pm

Aren't the DeltaLab Effectrons analog delays? The delay times (256, 1024ms) sound suspiciously digital. Mine got stolen in 1987 and I still miss it.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:33 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:Aren't the DeltaLab Effectrons analog delays? The delay times (256, 1024ms) sound suspiciously digital. Mine got stolen in 1987 and I still miss it.
nope, all DDLs.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:50 pm

Yeah, the effectrons are digital. But they use a different digital encoding scheme than standard PCM and have a unique melty/grainy sound all their own. Could be a good choice even though they aren't analog BBD. And they look cool.

Don't get one of those not working well, thinking it might be a cheap fix.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:02 pm

Dakota wrote:Yeah, the effectrons are digital. But they use a different digital encoding scheme than standard PCM and have a unique melty/grainy sound all their own. Could be a good choice even though they aren't analog BBD. And they look cool.

Don't get one of those not working well, thinking it might be a cheap fix.
they invented the so-called delta modulation thing, which is really a 1-bit encoding scheme...it let them get around having to use so much RAM which was horribly expensive at the time.

a cost-cutting measure that resulted in a somewhat unique and desirable sound!

EDIT: btw, the DeltaLab effects pedals being hawked by Musician's Friend and GC have NOTHING to do with the original DeltaLab company, someone just bought the name and logo and slapped it on their products.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:40 pm

I love delay. Have to resist wanting to own at least one each of all the notable models. That would be excessive.

Wouldn't it?

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

just dont neve up the prices dammit!

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:06 pm

yeah the effectrons are pretty effing neat. I have burned through a half dozen in the last decade and a half. They keep breaking on me!
But they are still sub $100 on the bay. They also sound excellent on synths, vocals, guitars, everything really. They have a soft slightly indistinct sound that is great. One of the things I hate about digital delays is that the repeat sounds too damn much like the original! Not a problem with the effectron. I used to have a setting that would make it almost be a reverb (short delay time, 90% negative feedback, slight modulation at slowest speed).
I beleive MXR had a rack analog delay. It was dark blue?
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:19 am

Dakota wrote:I love delay. Have to resist wanting to own at least one each of all the notable models. That would be excessive.

Wouldn't it?

nah....

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:37 am

Another :^: on the Yamaha E1010 rack mount delay. I've got two of them and use them on just about every mix.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:39 am

Dakota wrote:I love delay. Have to resist wanting to own at least one each of all the notable models. That would be excessive.

Wouldn't it?

yeah....so.... you say that like "excessive" is a bad thing:-)

I don't think anybody is making a new one ..for some dumb reason???

but I like to type in "analog delay" on ebay search from time to time just to see whats out there....takes you to some cool stuff you never knew existed!