how to transfer sessions over the internet

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

currentspulledmeunder
audio school graduate

how to transfer sessions over the internet

Post by currentspulledmeunder » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:39 am

Me and my friend have been working simultaneously on an album and now we need to put it all together. Does anyone have any suggestions for sending these sessions with their wav files over the internet?

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:37 am

losslessly compress with flac (if you want to cut file size) and rar/zip them all up in a bunch, upload to your ftp server. send the link to your friend. do this a lot myself.

currentspulledmeunder
audio school graduate

Post by currentspulledmeunder » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:25 am

I'm looking at turn my pc into a ftp server...is that what you are doing or do you have an external ftp site?

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:39 am

i have a friend who graciously let's me have a gig of web space and my own domain name. i can upload and download files to it with an ftp client such as the freeware filezilla. don't run my own pc as a server.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:54 am

http://www.pando.com/
Not very fast, but its good up to 1 gb. As long as you're astute about throwing out all your bad takes, you should be fine.
Prog out with your cog out.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:42 pm

I believe you can also get 1GB of free web space from sites.google.com. Just make a simple page for your collaborators, upload files (you can even zip a whole session if it fits) and attach to the page for them to download. cheap and simple.

I ended up getting a web site (which includes ftp space) with more disk space from www.doteasy.com. About $7/month I think but has been all I need.

another option is to use eSession.com. You gt 250MB free or if you are an ASCAP member, looks like you get 1GB free.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:50 pm

My bandmate in Austin has a .mac account and we just put files in his public folder. Did almost our whole new record that way.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:08 pm

I have a paid account with http://4shared.com

It works.

currentspulledmeunder
audio school graduate

Post by currentspulledmeunder » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:04 am

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. We ended up just getting on skype and sending the zipped sessions to each other that way. It worked pretty well actually.

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:07 am

DropBox - I've been mixing an album, dropping mixes in my dropbox folder, and sharing it to the artist to listen. No ftp.

https://www.getdropbox.com/
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:57 am

I was using the free space provided by yahoo/sbcglobal with my DSL, but they just announced that they are discontinuing as of 3-1-09. :evil:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:35 pm

seriously these are all good ideas, and i've tried most of them, but i'm lovin the dropbox - it's free and easy as pie. takes less than 5 minutes to start sharing files.
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:43 pm

Skydrive via Microsoft Hotmail works as well. I'm using it for my current project, and it works pretty well.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:11 pm

vvv wrote:I was using the free space provided by yahoo/sbcglobal with my DSL, but they just announced that they are discontinuing as of 3-1-09. :evil:
Yahoo totally screwed me. I made a minor change to my small business account and my main email address just disappeared. They admitted that it was an issue on their side They weren't able to recover anything from over three years and pretty much no one there gave a damn. Sorry to go off topic, but I had to get that off my chest.

I really need to get some sort of ftp account or set something up for this. I don't do it alot but everytime I do, I try something else but haven't found anything that worked well for me.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

timmymacdd
takin' a dinner break

Post by timmymacdd » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:11 pm

Your webservice or one of your bandmates gives you a free gig of ftp space abd the new AT&T is endless ftp memory.

Web memory costs less than 8 dollars a month....you can find 10 gigs for 5 dollars all over....the trick is learning and teaching everyone else how to log on and use it. It is simple but it takes a little patience.

FTP is the "proper" way to work. professionally.....so it is worth learning anyways.

Ftp clients software is free. and it is as fast as your internet. I can upload a 500 meg cubase song in less than 20 minutes. And dowload in about 10 minutes.

Lots of the above companies work as well......it is just pick one and make sure the whole band understands how to use it. Once you learn to use the FTP then you will also learn how to share pictures and audio files on any website....and stored on yours so you can update and change easier in the long run.

I store all of my samples, pics, blogs, etc. on my comcast web service that comes "free" with my internet connection. And it is mice because when I want to change my myspace, facebook, blog, twitter, and you tube videos and audio I can do it from one place in two minutes and it changes all of them.