Is SM7b a feasible kick mic?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mscottweber
pushin' record

Post by mscottweber » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:52 pm

Although I haven't used the sm7 on kick, I use an re20 on kick all the time. It doesn't always blow me away as being the perfect kick drum sound, but it has never sounded bad for me; I've always been able to make it work.
It seems like the general consensus around these parts is that people, more often than not, will use non kick-specific mikes over mikes made for kick drum (like the akg d112 or the Shure Beta 52). So who knows, you may end getting a great vocal AND kick microphone and then not ever want to buy a dedicated kick mike...

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:47 pm

I really want to pick up an re20 for various reasons, good choice. I've used a friends and been pretty happy with the results. I've haven't tried the sm7 yet....but it seems like eveyone else on here has so that should tell you something.

My personal choice for an all around mic that sounds great with a kick is the sennheiser md421. It also works micing nearly anything known to man...so it's a good investment. Price is similar to the others mentioned but as a bonus it has a 4 position bass roll off for various applications. For additional boom I've used an ldc with a pad about 3 feet in front of the bass drum and eq'd out the higher frequencies. This picks up a great kit sound too.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:31 pm

I have two RE20s... would like to trade one for an SM7 if anyone is interested. Actually one is a PL20 (exact same microphone, different marketing). PM me if you're interested. Local (NYC) preferred.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:50 pm

i've gotten very good drum kit recordings with an RE20 and 2 LDC mics out in front of the kit set up in am almost Decca tree kind of config. Basically the middle mic is the RE20 (or a beyer TGX50 why do all the good kick mics get discontiued?) then I use my GT fet LDC or whatever I am using for LDC pairs for the sides. Sometimes I angle them as AB or XY pair if that sounds like shit.
Either way. Drums sound great out front. Thats also one of the neat things about the RE20. It gets a good kick sound even a few feet out.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:48 am

Wasn't the D12 originally marketed as a vocal mic?

Vogon
takin' a dinner break

Post by Vogon » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:36 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:...(or a beyer TGX50 why do all the good kick mics get discontiued?)...
Great mic, it's now called the Opus 65 I believe.
That and the M88 & M99 are wicked kick/bass instrument and vocal dynamics IMHO.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:59 am

the opus looks the same but I dont know if it is the same as the original. I believe the opus series is their "artist" targeted series?

Vogon
takin' a dinner break

Post by Vogon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:02 am

OT
I enquired in a store once about the TGX50, and FWIW the guy said they had just chaged the name to fit the new Opus series, it was around the same time they started using the TG (tour group) suffix on some other models I believe... I like to keep track of when certain mics may become unavailable.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:49 am

I might be getting one of those then. My TGX 50 died about a year ago and my blue "kick ball" is just not as good.

DJ_LBP
takin' a dinner break

Post by DJ_LBP » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:07 pm

I just got an SM7 a couple weeks ago, and I have had it in front of a few different kicks, and I really like it. I don't have any high quality preamps or anything, but i got a sound i liked without having to try really hard at all. It sounds good in a lot of different positions. I'm very happy to have it, especially since it sounds so good on everything else too! I think I'd like another one. Not before a couple 421s and RE20 though.
Why not?

-Hunter S. Thompson

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

sm7

Post by supafuzz » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:04 pm

I used my sm7 in front of a guitar amp with great results..into
neve 1272 or into altec 459 tube pre.
But never on kick
I have an EV mic called the KICK MIC ND868 I like that lots
and a D12 which I've only used once and it sounded huge I seem to remember but I think I added another mic for a little more click.
My actual memory may vary
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

rawktron
audio school graduate

Post by rawktron » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:25 am

I use my SM7 for just about everything and love it. I think the key is having a good preamp with lots of gain so you can make it work in whatever situation... I use it on my guitar amp, kick drum, vocals (bumping the midrange switch on the back is nicer for vocals I find...).

The only thing I didn't like it on was a snare drum - seemed a bit too dark for me, but I didn't really spend too long on it.

Great mic.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:05 am

I finally got a sm7 and used it for the first time last night on bass amp. Holy crap, my new favorite mic. I can see using it on tons of stuff - I'm eager to try it as a mono drum overhead.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:01 pm

i love the sm7 on amps - hi hats - snares - acoustic.

and some vocals!
the new rules : there are no rules