Solutions for in-wall cable door between garage and room

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

skiltrip
gimme a little kick & snare

Solutions for in-wall cable door between garage and room

Post by skiltrip » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:19 am

My studio room is adjacent to my garage.

I'd like to put something in the wall that lets me run cables into the garage thru that whole. It also needs to close up and be insulated as well though. As I'll most likely only be using it during the warmer months.

What type of solutions are available for this sort of thing? I've thought about it, and some sort of door / sleeve would probably do it, but the specifics of it kind of escape me. It's regular dry wall on both sides of the wall, standard stud spacing and all that.

Thanks!
PTMP 8 | ProFire 610 | DMP3 | AT4033 | Bluebird | AT4041 | AT Pro37 x2 | SM58 | MXL2001

Aquaman
gettin' sounds

Post by Aquaman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:10 am

You can use a 3" hole saw to cut a neat hole in both sides of the wall, then slather up a piece of 3" pvc with caulk and jam it through. Let about 3" protrude on either side, and thoroughly caulk seal both gaps where it pierces the wall.

The tube can be filled with a length of pipe insulation and capped off with PVC endcaps when not in use.

Kelp88
audio school graduate

Post by Kelp88 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:58 pm

Professional studios often install empty stubs of 3" or 4" diameter steel pipes through the wall, about 18" or so long (it sticks out several inches on each side of the wall). Seal the wall tight around the pipes. Unused pipes get sealed up or capped for future. After you run cables seal up the remainder of the tube with dense fire-stop putty. This works best for cables you don't have to constantly change, but will change from time to time.

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:16 pm

Aquaman wrote:You can use a 3" hole saw to cut a neat hole in both sides of the wall, then slather up a piece of 3" pvc with caulk and jam it through. Let about 3" protrude on either side, and thoroughly caulk seal both gaps where it pierces the wall.

The tube can be filled with a length of pipe insulation and capped off with PVC endcaps when not in use.
This is basically what I did, but I just used ABS cleanouts that come with the threaded caps.