Yamah PM-1000 mixer up for auction. Value??? 3.5 hrs left.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

crookedsound
gettin' sounds

Yamah PM-1000 mixer up for auction. Value??? 3.5 hrs left.

Post by crookedsound » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:39 am

My local university has a Yamaha PM - 1000 for sale in a silent auction. It is set up for 24 channels with a possible max of 32. Working condition is unknown, and it is rather dusty.
They have a minimum bid of $400 required.

Thoughts? Auction ends at 1:00 pm Eastern time today and I'm thinking about it but really just unsure what would be a good deal given the risks involved in that no one there knows about it's working condition.
Thanks!

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:37 am

I paid about $375 for a pair of racked PM1000 pre's (a great deal at that). I think $400 for the raw materials for 24 channels is reasonable. If it actually works, that's a bonus. If you have the room.

I checked out the auction-- it is dusty as hell, but you never know. Crap-- I'm now fighting the impulse to bid. If only I had $400 to throw down...

crookedsound
gettin' sounds

Post by crookedsound » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:14 am

Yeah, the problem is that I can't imagine it will go for as low as $400. I was there today looking at it, and the place was busy.
I was trying to figure out quickly what would be reasonable if it didn't work. I would imagine that it will go for a good sum if anyone who knows what it is bids on it (and has the $$$)

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:25 am

True... but the thing with college surplus auctions is that you rarely get more than one or two people that know what stuff is worth. 2 years ago I bought 4 Crown PCC-160's for $15 at a college auction. All the old auction buzzards were scared off when the bidding got to $12. I was the guy who knew what they were. Sold them for $160 a pop. Maybe you'll be the guy in the know...

Anyway, if you end up scoring it for $400, I'll trade you my racked pair and give you the extra $25 to make up the purchase price. :wink:
I'm only half joking.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:23 am

Any interest in buying it to resell? I just PM'd you.

crookedsound
gettin' sounds

Post by crookedsound » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:26 pm

Well, let me tell you my sob story on how this worked out.

I went to the University and put in my bid. Shortly after 1pm I got the call that I won! So, needless to say I was totally pumped because this is the only way I'm going to get something like this on my budget.
They were super great and told me when I could come get it and all that.
At this point my day is just going amazing because I can't remember the last time I was so excited about an acquisition, and how luck was I to get something so cool for a super great price.

So I'm making calls and getting everything situated to get help moving the board into my studio (which currently has a Mackie 1402 board - an old one at that - and some outboard pres) and then almost 2 hours later MSU calls back.

They made a mistake and I was not the winner. Someone had faxed in a bid that was not much more than mine, and blah blah blah "the rules".

So, I went from being elated to just completely bummed out.
I mean, how much does that suck? They also said that had I come right away and paid for it, it would be mine right now.

:cry:

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:33 pm

That sounds really fishy to me. You might want to find out who this mystery faxxer is. I bet they're a relative of one of the surplus people.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

crookedsound
gettin' sounds

Post by crookedsound » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:48 pm

They invited me down several times to come verify and view the fax for any and all reasons if I wanted to. They were pretty great about how sorry they were. The woman that called me was new, and she didn't check the fax machine before calling me. She simply went through the bid box.
It just would have been cooler had I never thought I won. That was a hard pill to swallow when they "took it back".

I should say "is" since I'm just completely bummed about it.

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:39 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:That sounds really fishy to me. You might want to find out who this mystery faxxer is. I bet they're a relative of one of the surplus people.
Or worse, someone from here! Fishy indeed...

crookedsound
gettin' sounds

Post by crookedsound » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:17 am

Well, if it was someone from here then I don't know that I can feel bad about that. We all hope to get deals on equipment. The bidder did get their bid in on time, and it was higher than mine. So, they don't deserve to not get the board.

It's just the unfortunate circumstance that they told me that I won.

Plus, I am the one that put a post on a public forum letting even more people know it existed, and I understood that could create competition. I've gotten so much knowledge and inspiration from Tape Op and the forum that it would be hard for me to be upset about it being someone from here.

But next time I'll tell you all about it after I have it! :lol:

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:50 am

That sucks. Hopefully your post didn't lead someone to buy it out from under you.

But who knows, if it was a local buyer maybe it'll end up at the Dicker & Deal in a couple weeks.

:lol:

Iomegaman
audio school graduate

Post by Iomegaman » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:08 pm

Ya know the website "publicsurplus" dot com will have studio equipment from time to time in the Music and Arts dept.

I regularly check the University surplus dept. near where I live for deals...I picked my Sony MXP21 for $25.00 and once bought 4-SM57's with tabletop stands for a total of $20.00 (thats right 5 bucks each for fully functioning Sm57's, which I promptly sold to Slipperman for $200.00 each as new improved distorted guitar recording mics).

Once got outbid on a Soundcraft 1600 by $50.00 (it went for $2050.00)...

Anyway the surplus guys all know me, and I often pick up Server racks and the like for pennies on the dollar (my current setup includes a nifty server rack minus the top 2' rack and has a cool slantback spot that the Sony sits in as an EQ)...I made one of Peter's Green Pre's and loaded it into a 3U case that once housed a video A/D crapola...

All I'm saying is with the economy where it is, surplus places can be your friend...

Bummer on the auction though...get to know those guys and it won't happen again.
"I bought an audio cleaning tape. I'm a big fan of theirs."

ballpein
pushin' record

Post by ballpein » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:48 pm

Iomegaman wrote:

Bummer on the auction though...get to know those guys and it won't happen again.
A bottle of scotch can work wonders with silent auctions.

crookedsound
gettin' sounds

Post by crookedsound » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:57 am

Something didn't work out with the other buyer apparently, and I got it!

Plus they gave me a gift certificate for the bad experience! Very cool people.

Look for me in the DIY forum in the coming months! ha

PS- It weighs as much as my house.

ballpein
pushin' record

Post by ballpein » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:38 am

congrats, nice score. glad that worked out for you.