RNC / RNLA vs Art Pro VLA II

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kingmetal
buyin' gear

RNC / RNLA vs Art Pro VLA II

Post by kingmetal » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:38 am

I'm looking to buy my very first outboard compressors in the next couple of months and I'm starting small. I've got per-channel compression in my 01V96 that works well enough, but I'm looking for some colorful, nice to use tools that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

I see lots and lots of people reccommending the RNC, and just slightly fewer hits for the RNLA - and Mercenary has the pair all racked up for $450. I think that will be my birthday present to myself in April - but after doing some more reasearch I've found people on here talking about the ART Pro-VLA II. That thing seems like a pretty insane deal and I really like the way it's set up.

My question is, basically - is it worth it to get an RNC/RNLA AND an Art Pro? That is, if you were starting over from scratch and you were building your audio tool box, would you rather just have two RNCs and two RNLAs or would the Art Pro be a complimentary set?

Alternately, if you think that there is a better starting compressor than the RNC / RNLA combo please speak up!

Thanks!

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:05 am

If you're looking for colourful, I'd highly recommend both the RNLA and Pro VLA as great low-dough starter compressors. They both impart a nice signature and sound very different from each other. I owned the RNC but ended up selling it as it was too clean for my tastes (I like compressors more for colour than for limiting dynamic range). Just my two cents!

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:57 am

If you want more color yet, you may want to consider the FMR Audio PBC-6A- you can check it out (with audio samples too) at http://mercenary.com/fmrpbc.html

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:36 am

I've been on the fence too. I have 3 rack spaces I need to fill and I need a nice mic pre and a compressor. It'd be nice to have a 2 channel compressor, and I love that fact that the ART VLA II has VU meters. I hate those little led lights, especially when dealing with compression where a little make alot of difference.

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:31 am

kayagum wrote:If you want more color yet, you may want to consider the FMR Audio PBC-6A- you can check it out (with audio samples too) at http://mercenary.com/fmrpbc.html
I've totally been eyeing this thing and I'm really tempted - but to tell you the truth as far as first comps go I think I need to start with either stereo or dual-mono boxes and then work from there. I can really see that box being my third purchase though!
kinger wrote:If you're looking for colourful, I'd highly recommend both the RNLA and Pro VLA as great low-dough starter compressors. They both impart a nice signature and sound very different from each other. I owned the RNC but ended up selling it as it was too clean for my tastes (I like compressors more for colour than for limiting dynamic range). Just my two cents!
That's why I want both - I actually would like a really decent clean comp for doing "temporary masters" and as a tool to have around, but I'm really stoked about the RNVLA! They're so cheap that I figure even if I use the RNC sparingly it's worth the money.

I'm really really interested in the ART Pro at this point - has anyone actually used one? I love the VUs and just the whole look of the thing, plus it's dual mono! Looks aren't everything though, and I just have to assume it's too good to be true at that price point. If it's not, then it might get picked up before the BNC / VLA.

ballpein
pushin' record

Post by ballpein » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:39 pm

ott0bot wrote:I've been on the fence too. I have 3 rack spaces I need to fill and I need a nice mic pre and a compressor. It'd be nice to have a 2 channel compressor, and I love that fact that the ART VLA II has VU meters. I hate those little led lights, especially when dealing with compression where a little make alot of difference.
Do the meters show you when your compression is set up just right? Personally, I trust my ears more than any type of meter, and half the reason I like outboard gear so much is that I can tweak with my ears and not with my eyes, which can become a bad habit when you stare at a computer screen. IMHO, quality of meters should not be a major factor in shopping for a compressor.
________

I've never used the ART, but I own the RNC and RNLA. I use the RNC more, and I wish I hand one or two more. It's magic on vocals, overheads, certain drum busses, sometimes on the master buss... the only thing it's not great on is bass, where it can distort on release. The RNC can be invisible, which is great, but lately I've been having fun cranking it up for full-on pump, where it also excels.

The RNLA is definitely more coloured ... it sounds nice if you overdrive it a bit too... I always use it on drums, sometimes on the buss, sometimes just on kick/snare... sournds great as a smashing parallel comp on drum buss. Can do good things for vocals too, and sometimes I like to smash the master buss with it.

bigatomicmonster
audio school graduate

Post by bigatomicmonster » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:37 pm

I've never used the ART, but I do have both the RNC an RNLA in a Funk Logic rack and I find them incredibly useful. I record a good deal more vocals than anything else. And I really like each of them what each of them does for that particular application. Also running them in series during tracking can be pretty useful, too. I used the RNLA into RNC in Super Nice Mode, for a female vocalist, just using a slight bit of compression on each. Slow attack on the RNLA and a little faster on the RNC. Sounded great.
Founder
Atomisonic Ltd. Co.
http://www.atomisonic.com

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:43 pm

ballpein wrote:
ott0bot wrote:I've been on the fence too. I have 3 rack spaces I need to fill and I need a nice mic pre and a compressor. It'd be nice to have a 2 channel compressor, and I love that fact that the ART VLA II has VU meters. I hate those little led lights, especially when dealing with compression where a little make alot of difference.
Do the meters show you when your compression is set up just right? Personally, I trust my ears more than any type of meter, and half the reason I like outboard gear so much is that I can tweak with my ears and not with my eyes, which can become a bad habit when you stare at a computer screen. IMHO, quality of meters should not be a major factor in shopping for a compressor.
ohh.....but I use my ears too. i can't help it....they don't have an off switch. but i see your point, by no means does the meter make the compressor. I've never used either. I just love Vu meters....whether it's a gimmic or not!

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:04 pm

I dunno if Inverseroom has his still available, but a Symetrix 501 is a rad compressor for cheap. I picked up two a few months back, and use them all sorts of ways from crushing a submix, to snares and DI bass comp. You could grab a 501 and a used RNC for the cost of a new VLA, maybe. Food for thought.[/i]

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:27 pm

stereopathetic_banjo wrote:I dunno if Inverseroom has his still available, but a Symetrix 501 is a rad compressor for cheap. I picked up two a few months back, and use them all sorts of ways from crushing a submix, to snares and DI bass comp. You could grab a 501 and a used RNC for the cost of a new VLA, maybe. Food for thought.[/i]
totally, wish i could afford his for a second one. Mine is on constant kick and snare submix.

current mix has two stereo stems out for drums.. one "normal" with the masssy comp hitting it a little, and then has a parallel send from in the box with the bomb factory fairchild 660 doing some squish squash of all the close mic's on the drums and a bit of OH's. Then, the 501 has the inside kick mic and snare top mic sent to it hot with some compression and some clipping on the out, sent to the board and mixed in with the two stereo stems. Big Drums.

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:32 pm

Chances are you won't just stop at buying one compressor so why not just pick one and see how you like it and then later down the road get the other one. This is really an apples and oranges thing in addition to what you think your style of recording and mixing would work best with any given compressor. I really like my ART VLA. It's warm, it's smooth, it kills on bass and vocals but I don't use it on everything. It was a really good purchase and I think it fits in well with the things I use it for. Just another tool in the toolbox though.
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:39 pm

totally want to add, that the VLA (the first one) is another comp i have in the rack. As Mane said above, great for bass and vocals. I just swapped out the Jan Phillips (not stock) for some Mullards and have another sound now. I like what both types of tubes offer.

I don't know what the newer VLA is like.

I also have two dbx 160xt's and an ashly cl52e. The dbx's get used more than anything. so versatile.

ballpein
pushin' record

Post by ballpein » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:33 pm

Mane1234 wrote:Chances are you won't just stop at buying one compressor so why not just pick one and see how you like it and then later down the road get the other one. This is really an apples and oranges thing in addition to what you think your style of recording and mixing would work best with any given compressor.
great advice. Maybe I should find myself a vla.

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:56 pm

Mane1234 wrote:Chances are you won't just stop at buying one compressor so why not just pick one and see how you like it and then later down the road get the other one. This is really an apples and oranges thing in addition to what you think your style of recording and mixing would work best with any given compressor. I really like my ART VLA. It's warm, it's smooth, it kills on bass and vocals but I don't use it on everything. It was a really good purchase and I think it fits in well with the things I use it for. Just another tool in the toolbox though.
Oh I'm totally with you. I'm really just curious as to whether or not the ART VLA is too good to be true and it looks like it's not. I'll have on in my rack as soon as I can scrape the money together. Car registration, a traffic ticket and owed backtaxes are making this month a shitty month for gear (plus, the H4n is coming out!!). CURSE YOU, GEAR FETISH!!

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:47 am

Traffic ticket? Taxes? Good lord man where are your priorities? Anybody can pay for that crap but a nice tube compressor is a true thing of joy!
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....