Pop Music Production Techniques

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Rocker_C
audio school

Pop Music Production Techniques

Post by Rocker_C » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:24 am

Hi all, I am new to making pop music, and have an assignment where I have to make a pop song.

I realise with the digitalization of music there isnt really any space for producers nowadays to have their own unique sound. Well.. to a large extent everything has its own sound that makes it a certain genre nowadays..

Pop music production is one of the hardest styles ive had to face so far, because everything has to be very precise and well produced.

Does anyone have any tips of pop music production techniques that they are willing to share with me? Id be very grateful, because ive asked my teachers and they dont have a clue about it... lol.. :)

Anything ranging from what effects to apply to vocals and synths would be great, also perhaps the techniques behind backing vocals in pop music too..

Any advice would be good.. and thanks in advance :)

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:33 am

Hi there,

Since you seem to be starting at square one, the best thing to do would be to pick a set of topics and just use the search function to research them. There is already a lot of information here, you just have to delve.

That sounds like a tough assignment, if only because you have to begin with some definition of what "pop" is.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:34 am

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... =pop+music

this is a fun one that tosses that term 'pop' around..

Rocker_C
audio school

Post by Rocker_C » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:45 am

Thanks for your reply's. It is a very hard thing to put into a category, simply because its always changing, just like the music industry as a whole and always will..

But surely there has to be a standard set of ways to get a pop sound from what is known to be the industry standard gear that top producers are using in todays modern studios.. a set of production values or techniques in order to achieve that pop sound.. by pop I mean the electronic sample and synth based pop you hear nowadays from artists such as Britney spears and Christina Aguilera...

lets take the new Britney spears song for example.. "Circus" now ive found out that a group of swedish guys helped her produce that song.. but I wonder what software and techniques they are using nowadays to produce such type of music.. is it something to do with the way it is actually recorded or is it something to do with the way its mixed down or Mastered that gets this almost standard pop music sound?

decocco
pushin' record

Post by decocco » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:49 am

Maybe find some pop records that really interest you and listen to them critically. You can always try calling/e-mailing the engineers and producers who worked on those albums. If you have specific questions, they may be willing to help you out.
-Chris D.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:00 am

it's a big question, with lots of answers...

Anthony Caruso
pushin' record

Post by Anthony Caruso » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:05 pm

Like someone said, big question, but I get what you mean...here's my experience...

INSTRUMENTS - changes depending on producer, but mostly coming from: MPC2000XL (beat stuff), Korg Triton/Yamaha Motif/Roland Fantom (instrument sounds), Korg MS2000/Micro Korg/Various Moog/Juno-type units (synth sounds). These are the staples of what I have seen, and everyone uses them differently. Some use drum sounds off the Motif and never use an MPC. Some use more standalone synths like Moogs or Junos as opposed to the "all-in-one" Triton/Motif solution. Some use strictly software synths and drums like from Logic or Ableton. I've even seen major label pop tracks done in Frooty Loops. The common thread here is that the resulting sounds are all clean, strong and consistent. Usually recorded DI from the units, the sounds are almost "compartmentalized" right out of the unit and all sound up front and crisp. Musical performances are often quantized, but I have seen bad asses like Chad Hugo and Eric Hudson just play it free, yielding a better feel, IMHO. And the addition of just one "real" instrument, like live bass or guitar, can often give an otherwise synthy track some life.

VOCALS - Almost always tuned, whether hard-core like T-Pain/Chris Brown, or more subtle. Even good singers like Christina Aguilera get tuned. Especially backgrounds, when they are all tuned they get that smooth almost synth-y sound because you don't get the normal harmonic-beating from a naturally inconsistent human performance. AutoTune specifically has the synthier sound, while Melodyne or Waves Tuner plug in can be more natural. And stack them high, most of the time verses will have a lead, a double and triple for certain words and phrases (panned left and right). Any harmonies or other backgrounds will at least be doubles, if not tripled and quadrupled, panned out. Stacked background tracks are also usully time-aligned using something like VocAlign or just by editing. This also adds to that smooth sound. Effects are less easy to "formul-ize", but reverbs, delays, stereo field effects, stereo modulation effects etc are all valid. Whatever gets the vocal big and glossy. Many times heavier on big verbs and delays in the hooks than the verses. Compress hell out of vocals. Waves RVox is used a lot, but everyone has their favorite.

So, yeah, points being the music is usually the very crisp, almost pre-processed sound of direct recorded keyboards or from software synths. Vocals are tuned and timed, bright and glossy, and multiple takes of the same part are stacked and panned to make it sound big. Like anything, there is no formula, all producers have their comfortable gear/software and playing style, but these couple points seem to be fairly universal for that modern radio pop sound. And don't forget to pay attention to arrangement and writing, these play a huge part in pop and there are definitely devices that keep popping up (the filtered drum break, putting an additional, heavier snare on the hook parts, basic song structure 8 bar intro, 8 bar verse, 8 bar hook, 8 bar verse, 8 bar prehook, 16 bar hook, 8 bar bridge, double hook and out!).

firesine
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by firesine » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:37 pm

Tune the hard panned double and triple (cus you gotta have hard panned double and triples) and stacked harmonies slightly off the correct note, one slightly sharp and the other flat, to get chorusing. The more you detune them the more chorusing.

Kick, snare and tom samples.

Stereo delay.

Lots of compression and limiting on the vocals. Wait, make that everything. ;)
Mmm, lung butter.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:45 pm

Listen to any of my stuff linked below, and then do the complete and utter opposite.

And do it sober. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:54 am

BGs :

4 part harmony, quadrupled. in other words 16 voices.

NO, not 4 voices ran through a damn harmonizer, but 16 independently recorded parts.

Low

Low mid

Middle

High

Depending on the song, style, etc, you may or may not modulate them as the song progresses. Also depending on the decade you are going for, these change somewhat.

And, again, it all depends on the song. Pop nowadays is such a huge umbrella, it's almost impossible to tell you exact stuff.

U2 is Pop, but so is Beyonce Knowles. they do not sound the same...

I think if you narrow down your search, you can get better answers.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:08 am

decocco wrote:Maybe find some pop records that really interest you and listen to them critically. You can always try calling/e-mailing the engineers and producers who worked on those albums. If you have specific questions, they may be willing to help you out.
That's where I'd start. Identify as much as you can by listening and trying ti imitate. Maybe even attempt a sound alike first. Pick a tune, put it into your DAW as a two tracks so you can listen to just one side of the stereo if needed, and attempt to re-create everything you hear. (Contact cgarges, he used to do that for a living!)

Then do you own tune based on that style.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:33 pm

drumsound wrote:(Contact cgarges, he used to do that for a living!)
Recreating other people's stuff can be SO eye-opening.

I have recorded sound-alikes of a bunch of late 90s pop artists Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson, Backstreet Boys, Janet Jackson, etc. Back then, there was an awful lot of filtering going on, MUCH use of digital delays, and sometimes, surprisingly cool phase manipulation of different group vocal parts. Everything was super-compressed, but not so that you'd hear the compression, just so you'd hear every freaking breath as loud as every word. Mostly GML compressors, I gather. They'll do that well. Also, really bright, but heavily de-essed vocals-- like "microphone bright" (Sony C800, Tele 251), not "equalized bright." Group vocals were usually processed heavily by combinations of H3000s, sometimes with the returns compressed or polarity-reversed-- at least until the TC vocal boxes got really popular with that stuff.

Who knows what they're up to now, except even more embarrasing use of auto-tune.

Oh, and historically, the Swedish totally have that stuff DOWN.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:46 pm

cgarges wrote:
Oh, and historically, the Swedish totally have that stuff DOWN.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
:rofl:

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:25 pm

I'm not kidding. ABBA's a prime example, and it probably goes back farther. Ace of Base is another classic. But take a look at those early records from the artists I mentioned. If it wasn't done in Florida, irtwas generally a bunch of Swedish folks doing those records. I'm telling you, man, the Swedes are ON IT!

Hell, wasn't/isn't Mutt's private studio over there?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:22 am

cgarges wrote:I'm not kidding. ABBA's a prime example, and it probably goes back farther. Ace of Base is another classic. But take a look at those early records from the artists I mentioned. If it wasn't done in Florida, irtwas generally a bunch of Swedish folks doing those records. I'm telling you, man, the Swedes are ON IT!

Hell, wasn't/isn't Mutt's private studio over there?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I"m totally with you. Seriously. It was the presentation I was chuckling at...