Help choosing mic pre & compressor around $500

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Help choosing mic pre & compressor around $500

Post by ott0bot » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:26 am

Ok...lots of info....but let me know what you think.
I've got a little ProTools setup with a digi 003 and a Presonus Digimax D8 for the ADAT channels. I also have a ART TubeMP Project series that I'm using for my standard mic pre/DI. I have a 16 channel/4 return snake running from my recording space to the control room(thats a relative term :D). I also have a Rolls 6 channel headphone amp for the returns. Now I'm pretty happy with the 003's mic pres coupled with the TubeMP, but I'm looking for something with a little more color and some options. Also any suggestions on how to chain then into the 003 would be great. Here are the choices I've been pondering.

1st combo:
Art MPA gold(2 spaces-$299) with a dbx226XL(1 space-$150 new/cheap used)
With this I could run the 2 pre channels from the ART into the compressor and into two of the non pre'd channels or the 003. Or run them seprately into the 4 non pre'd channels of the 003. or run the ART into the non-pre'd channels and the comp into the pre'd channels?

I like this because I have choices and 2 pre's and two compressors. Plus it's affordable

2nd combo
Presonus Eureka(1 space-b-stock $330) with a Art Pro-VLA II(spaces-$300)

Run the eureka into non-pre'd channel, and the VLA into 2 of the pre'd channels. or should i run it into preamp'd channel? Or run the eureka int the VLA and just use one channel of compressor into a non-pre'd channel and the other through the ART studio MP into another non-pre'd channel?

I like this becaue the Eureka sounds nice on vocals, bass and drums. but it limits me a bit since it's only a mono, and it's more than I really want to spend.

3rd combo
ART Pro Channel(2 spaces-$320) with a dbx comp($150 or cheap used)

With this I have a similar set up to the last one, but the ART insead of the Eureka.

Or scratch the DBX, and is there a better 1 rack space stereo compressor I should look at thats around the same price? I've hear of the RNC's but I also hear I need to run them through another unit because they only have unbalenced outs. and they are bit more expensive.

I'm now using a board as of now(space is limiter, but I could find a way to make room), but should I consider buying a nice board with good mic pre's running the snake into a board and chaining the direct outs of the board into the 003 and D8 and for get about the mic pre's for now. I can always add those later. I'm pretty happy going direct, but it's always nice to have some more options.

Please let me know if you have any ideas/opinions on the rack units and signal flow. If you have any extremely clean units desribed or others you recomend for sale hit me up, I'd love to keep it under $500.

thanks everyone

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:35 am

You can pick up a Focusrite Twintrack for about that much. Pre amps may be the same on your Digi, but the compressors on that unit are pretty exceptable.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:40 am

Ryan Silva wrote:You can pick up a Focusrite Twintrack for about that much. Pre amps may be the same on your Digi, but the compressors on that unit are pretty exceptable.
Yeah i found this:
http://www.audiolines.com/product.php?productid=15510

Would i need to use the Word clock to prevent latency? I was kinda looking for some more analog equipment....but if this this rocks for the price i may work.

I may be able to pick up a Cascade Fathead ribbon too if I could keep it around that price for the whole thing. Plus have a rack space open for a future purchase.

ballpein
pushin' record

Post by ballpein » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:19 pm

I own an RNC, an RNLA, and a DBX 166XL. The DBX isn't even in my recording rack now . It actually cost more than either of the others, and it's not even in the same ballpark. (in fairness, it does have a somewhat useful gate and a limiter which I've never used).

It's not that it's horrible, but it just never sits right for me - I usually end up futzing with it for a while and then using a plugin instead. Whereas the RNC I can slap on just about anything and find the sauce within a minute of tweaking. Unless you find a nice used 160 or something, I don't think you'll find a DBX compressor in your price range that's better than a plugin.

As to the unbalanced outs on the RNC, it's never been a problem for me with my motu 828. I think most people find that it works just fine mingled with balanced gear. There's a lot of superstitiousness when it comes to bal / unbal connections, so unless there's something specific about your system that makes it unfeasible, I'd give it a shot.

Having said all that, I'll give you a good deal on a mint condish DBX 166XL if you decide to go that way.

Also, somebody was advertising a used RNC for $125 in the last weekish - If I was a little more liquid right now I'd totally snap it up.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:09 pm

Instead of the Eureka, I would grab a Presonus MP20. They are around $300 or under used these days. They were the 2-channel version of their M80 preamp. Class A, socketed ICs for op amps. I spent $75 and upgraded the op amps to Burr Browns back in 2006 after having it for 3 years. Totally useful stock and great with the BBs. And they are two channels with a mix bus, nice DIs, and the IDSS controls that are actually kind of useful. And Presonus will still repair anything that goes wrong with them for a small bench fee. they are a very reasonable company.

Since the MP20 has inserts, you don't have to worry about the balanced/unbalanced thing. Just use the inserts for compressors.

If you go the route of the RNC or RNLA, remember, those things are mono or stereo, not dual mono. So you'll have one set of controls. Not that bad if you just consider them to be mono compressors. I've had an RNC since 2002, and though I am way more inclined to track dry these days and use decent plug-ins compressors (Stillwell, Waves, Nomad Factory), I still reach for the RNC for bass tracking, or vocal tracking from time to time. Rock solid compressor, nice to run mixes through or stems for parallel compression, etc. Very useful.

So, $300 for the MP20, $125 for an RNC. You could save the $75 and put it towards another compressor like a DBX 160A, a Symetrix CL-100, CL150, or 501, a RNLA, or a DBX 163 for bass. Or a second RNC. Also, the Presonus ACP22 is a decent compressor that goes for cheap. I preferred it to my DBX 166XL.

That's what I would do.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:32 pm

Thanks for the input!

It seems like if I'm going to pick up an outboard compressor the RNC has alot of great feedback and is good choice. I took a good solid look at the Presonus Mp20...and it has promise but I'm not sold on a pre amp yet.

But after more reading I'm really liking the ART MPA Gold, especailly after swaping out the tubes. Seems that it has all the features I want right now.....heck maybe I'll swap out the tube in my Studio TubeMP while I'm at it and warm that up a bit too. Truth be told, I've been pretty happy with the standard Bomb factory compressor in pro tools for the last 3 years, so I could get by on that until I pick up an RNC.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:42 am

You can also try a RNP/RNLA combination... the RNLA has more color than the RNC, so you can decide what fits your needs better.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:43 am

DBX 160 (whichever letter) used. Very accessible prices out their in used-land. Everyone loves these things. I think I picked mine up for $200. Now I want one more and something with a bit more color.

I have had my eye on the new FMR PBC-6A for a while, but it is so new there aren't really any reviews yet. Sounds like it could be the working-class Distressor.

Dave-H
pushin' record

Post by Dave-H » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:37 pm

I have a ART Pro Channel that I love. I put NOS RCA 12AX-7 tubes in it & It works well for me . I hear they have a new & improved version that looks like a nice channel strip also.
:idea: Dave Huffman :D
Will Drum For Money