"dub/reggae" PA system?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trevord
gettin' sounds

Post by trevord » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:40 pm

ryansupak wrote:Oops...it didn't email me that there was thread activity for some reason.

Glad the sets got re-upped, and I like the second set too. Sounds like red_2 ends on the dub version of the first song in red_1a. I also love the cover of "I'll Be There."

The second mix sounds more "wet". Is that an analog delay on the send, or maybe a tape slapback? Also was red_2 recorded in the studio while red_1a was recorded live off the desk?

rs
your observations are correct
the second (red_2) was actually recorded first.
This tape were recorded directly before final power amplification while I was DJ'ing in the late 70's (you read right - thats a TDK high bias SA-60 - built like a tank with incredible sound - I left Trinidad in 1980 so it has to be at least that old)

The reverb you hear is the old Pioneer spring reverb (not sure on the model - SR-202 i think http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX1HkQjJ79c )

your ears are correct - when we start the place is empty and and the sound is tuned for that empty space - as more people come in (and ear fatigue sets in) we increase the highs and the volume so by the end of the second side we are probably overdriving the cassette - not a bad thing actually but you get that compressed sound with extra highs

I remember we used a Roland echo on our mic but I am not sure if this tape has it on the music - the Pioneer had a much more diffused sound so you didn't interfere with the riddim mids and highs - but you got the echo effect on the bass

These tapes in no way sound like the records - if you are lucky enough to have these records its nice to do a comparison between the record and what people expected in a fete (party).

The dub at end of side 1 (red_2) is a classic cassette tape practice. We did these tapes to sell either then and there or later.

Remember what you are hearing is the very first hour after our setup, after this - when the party is rocking - everyone jumps on the mic, hit songs get continuously rewound (rewinded ? ) - you know the joke - you never hear the end of a reggae song in the dance :)
something like this - its amazing things haven't changed that much
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpgWoGreZMI

artercay
audio school graduate

Post by artercay » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:01 am

thread-relevant article:

http://33third.blogspot.com/2011_11_01_archive.html

actual post link is a bit screwy, just search the archive for Nov 2011 if you have to.

nice blog in general.
seeking the sound of heavy air

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:09 pm

I was listening to these two mp3's today on JBL monitors, and while the bass is massive, it's all higher-frequency than you might think. Switching the sub in and out, the bass was only slightly more massive with the sub engaged. Where's the beef of the bass here, around 60 hz? 50 hz?

trevord
gettin' sounds

Post by trevord » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:27 pm

standup wrote:I was listening to these two mp3's today on JBL monitors, and while the bass is massive, it's all higher-frequency than you might think. Switching the sub in and out, the bass was only slightly more massive with the sub engaged. Where's the beef of the bass here, around 60 hz? 50 hz?
I'm not sure where the actual peak is - but I can tell you every high-pass filter we had was turned on - that means the 30Hz on the graphic eq was way down and all the high-pass filters on the big amps (these were 6 crown 500w per channel if i remember correctly) - this was was for two reasons
1) those low freq would either pop the speaker or cause it to overheat over time
2) the amps would draw so much power driving those transients in unision - something would definitely blow - a fuse if your are lucky or power to the location would overheat

it wasn't just music - the problem was a warped record would produce transients - a whole dance floor of people "stepping" in sync would show up at the turntables

Most of the bass was from speaker design - mostly bass reflex - a lot of the bass came from the ports (with tubes) - and this was tuned to lower freq so even if these freqs were not in the signal the sound was much heavier - i think later on the port and plain tubes became rear loaded folded horns - further emphasizing the lower frequencies

dubphaser
pushin' record

Post by dubphaser » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:03 pm

trevord - thanks for this!

plonky
audio school

Re: "dub/reggae" PA system?

Post by plonky » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:37 am

Bumping this 7 years on... Thank you for sharing your knowledge on this topic @trevord ! It is is very much appreciated. :) The original links to the tapes are dead. Can someone can reupload those recordings? I'm dying to hear them! Hopefully one of the downloaders or Trevor is still active on here!