Glyn Johns BUDGET Mic Suggestions

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mr.adambeck
gimme a little kick & snare

Glyn Johns BUDGET Mic Suggestions

Post by mr.adambeck » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:17 pm

Hey all--
I've been recording Glyn Johns style drums for a little while, but have two different large diaphram condensers as the overheads (an ADK A-51 and a Rode NT something of our drummers), a SM57 on the snare and a shure kick drum mic of his. Surprisingly, it turns out pretty well (although the stereo image is always brighter and cleaner on one side...). Anyways, I'm looking to buy a CHEAP pair of overheads for us (this is mostly just demo use), and wondering if you had suggestions. I'm guessing large diaphram mics work better for this technique than smaller, but who knows. Also, if it's a good vocal mic too, it would be great.

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:39 pm

CAD m-179

Joly modded MXL 603

SM-81 ???
Everything louder than everything else.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:42 pm

MXL 990's. Cheap and I have actually used them for Glyn Johns before an dhad great results. They are bright and give a nice thwack from the toms. They are great for the money and can be had for like $35 each used. Do a search and you wil lsee a few people reporting good results with them on OH's. They are actually SDC in a LDC case, but they work regardless.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:56 pm

On another aspect of this subject, I was kinda wanting to try try this technique with 2 large diaphragm dynamics. Maybe 421s or SM7s or one of each. Surely this has been done a lot also. I was also thinking along the lines of the OP about using a pair of NT1s(of which I have only one and would have to score another cheap). Are these consistent enough for Glen Johns' technique? I love the one I have but I could be lucky and have a good one. I used to have a pair but sold one and both were good ones but different somehow IMO. Should have kept it but didn't think. I've been using 2 Pro 37r's for XY on overheads for the most part.

snoopy23
gettin' sounds

Post by snoopy23 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:20 pm

I actually was playing around with the Glyn Johns setup today with some free time. I put a Sterling Technologies ST-51 overhead,(I got this from Guitar Center for about $100) an MXL 990 over the shoulder, a sm57 on the snare and a CAD drum kit kick mic on the kick (duh). I was surprised with the sounds I got with the overhead and the shoulder mic each exactly 42 inches fro the center of the snare. I recently pulled my MXL 990 apart and removed the two inner layers of screen from the windscreen and have been quite pleased with the increased 'airy-ness' of the mic, an easy and quick mod I would encourage anyone with an MXL to do. The results were surprisingly pleasing and it was really easy to get a full, balanced drum sound. I think if you wanted pure balance you should get another MXL 990, and maybe a better kick mic, like a shure beta 52 or the ubiquitous AKG D 112, although I think your Sennheiser 421 is a pretty darn good kick mic as well. Can you post some of your stuff so we can hear where you are at so far? Pterry much, the consistency of the mics is all in your ear. If you like the sounds you are getting, go with what you got. Of course, anything you add in terms of quality equipment is going to improve your sound, but perhaps you should work the kinks out of what you got and try all different configurations. You may not need to add anything, at least for the drums! I am now wondering how my 57's will sound in the Glyn Johns. I'm gonna go try it out!
Drummers might not be the smartest, but we are probably the strongest!

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:06 am

getreel wrote:On another aspect of this subject, I was kinda wanting to try try this technique with 2 large diaphragm dynamics. Maybe 421s or SM7s or one of each. Surely this has been done a lot also. I was also thinking along the lines of the OP about using a pair of NT1s(of which I have only one and would have to score another cheap). Are these consistent enough for Glen Johns' technique? I love the one I have but I could be lucky and have a good one. I used to have a pair but sold one and both were good ones but different somehow IMO. Should have kept it but didn't think. I've been using 2 Pro 37r's for XY on overheads for the most part.
super big and open sounding is the LDC GJ - sdc's pinpoint things more - try it with a pair of omnis - just be careful what's 'around' the mic instead of where it's pointing - ribbons give the feeling of close mics, lots of boom, mellow crack, but not nearly open like the others -

if the oh's are done right with GJ, in my opinion the snare mic isn't needed - unless you want some sizzle...
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:52 am

Has anyone mentioned the EV635a yet? No?

EV635a. 50-70 bucks used.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:03 pm

Well it's not exactly super budget concious...but 3 AKG perceptions or ST55/GT55's would be decent LDC to execute the Glyn Johns effectively. plus the have bass roll off's and pads if needed.

SonicReducer
pluggin' in mics

Post by SonicReducer » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:40 am

I think your cheapest and best option would be to just buy another nt1a (or whichever 'NT' model you are using)

NT1As on OH is pretty amazing for the price, and it also makes a great vocal mic

mr.adambeck

Post by mr.adambeck » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:12 pm

Yeah, I thought about just getting another one of the Rodes, but it's our drummers friends mic that we just borrow, and I'd like to have a set that I can keep for myself. Keep the suggestions coming! I'm saving up the money as we speak!

So far the CAD m-179 seems the best for my price range (haven't looked up the ev635a yet), at least, judging from reviews on the internet.

mr.adambeck

Post by mr.adambeck » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:18 pm

also, are the AKG perception series basically the same mic with more options? Or is the cheap one (120) just not a good mic?

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Glyn Johns BUDGET Mic Suggestions

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:50 pm

mr.adambeck wrote:Hey all--
I've been recording Glyn Johns style drums for a little while, but have two different large diaphram condensers as the overheads (an ADK A-51 and a Rode NT something of our drummers), a SM57 on the snare and a shure kick drum mic of his. Surprisingly, it turns out pretty well (although the stereo image is always brighter and cleaner on one side...). Anyways, I'm looking to buy a CHEAP pair of overheads for us (this is mostly just demo use), and wondering if you had suggestions. I'm guessing large diaphram mics work better for this technique than smaller, but who knows. Also, if it's a good vocal mic too, it would be great.
MXL 2003. Has a pad and HPF. Good character and not a bad mic in the price range. See if you can find a matched pair somewhere because these are not all manufactured identically. They work well around a kit as long as you are not close-miking. A pair should run you less than $150. The stock MXL clips suck, so you'll likely have to find some cages for these, but considering the price, you'll be able to afford them.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:04 pm

SonicReducer wrote:I think your cheapest and best option would be to just buy another nt1a (or whichever 'NT' model you are using)

NT1As on OH is pretty amazing for the price, and it also makes a great vocal mic
I'll say the same, except to get a second a51. It's a pretty good mic, all things considered.

mc437
pushin' record

Post by mc437 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:11 pm

I've used EV 635a's for overheads in a GJ setup and it gave a very flat, 70s kind of drum sound. Works in some situations, but definitely not all.

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:18 pm

I've been thinking about the whole the large diaphragm dynamic that Getreel mentioned. I would think this would sound kinda old school lo fi retrotastic through the right mic pres. I'm going to try and give this a shot this weekend and maybe toss in a 635A heart mic from the thread that was discussed in the other post. There are so many great ideas getting tossed around here I don't even have time to keep up with all of them.

Kick...Senn 602...PM1K
OHs...Senn 421s...Scully 280s
Snare...Senn 441...PM1K
Heart Mic...EV 635a...PM1k

I know this isn't quite the traditional GJ setup but might sound pretty cool.
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....