condensers on kick drums

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

znort
audio school

Post by znort » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:34 pm

decocco wrote:I've built tunnels out of different materials. The one I usually use is generally packing blankets held up with chairs. I've also tried using another bass drum shell as a tunnel, but that's only if I want the super boom sound. Both work great, but it's true, tunnels do make the bass drum sound "less airy" cause then it's living in a little tiny house instead of the whole big live room.
Interesting! I would like to check this tunnel technique, the way I guess I shoud work is: putting together two 22" kicks. the first one without the resonant head and the second one without the batter head. Should I put the mic at the end of the tunnel to get more subs? Has anyone already used this technique?
cheers from Spain!

decocco
pushin' record

Post by decocco » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:03 am

I just use the shell of the second bass drum, so the bass drum that is part of the kit is used as usual, and then I put the shell of the second bass drum in front of that. I'll put packing blankets over the little space between the two drums, to minimize cymbal bleed. If you like, get a mic inside the "real" kick for beater definition. Instead of micing the resonant bass drum head like I would normally do, I'll put a mic in the tunnel shell or possibly at the far end of it.

I've never tried using another bass drum that had heads on it, but I'll bet you could get some interesting and unique sounds that way.
-Chris D.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:22 pm

decocco wrote:
I've never tried using another bass drum that had heads on it, but I'll bet you could get some interesting and unique sounds that way.
Definately! Great ideas. You could even get creative and use some other materials. Metal trash can for super echo perhaps?