VOCALS AND GUITAR AMPS (reamping)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sonicdeath
ass engineer

VOCALS AND GUITAR AMPS (reamping)

Post by sonicdeath » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:15 pm

I have been trying to run some previously recorded vocal tracks into a guitar amp. I have never done this before and I was hoping to get some help. I do NOT have a reamping device.

So far messing around I have pulled the output levels way down and went into an amp. It sounds like shit. Im guessing due to impedance.

Im at a loss. any help on doing this would be very cool of you.
Do i have to get a reamping device to do this?
what about mic placement?
What type of mics do you like to use when doing this? Ribbon, dynamic, Condenser?

thanks

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Re: VOCALS AND GUITAR AMPS (reamping)

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:36 am

sonicdeath wrote: Do i have to get a reamping device to do this?
Yes.
what about mic placement?
Personal preference.
What type of mics do you like to use when doing this? Ribbon, dynamic, Condenser?
Personal preference, but I usually use ribbons/dynamics, as that is what I would reach for 1st if I were recording guitars through the same amp.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:30 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
sonicdeath wrote: Do i have to get a reamping device to do this?
Yes.
Well yes you have to have a device to balance the signal and boost if neccessary....and I've reamped a bunch of stuff without the use of any special device. I usually just send the signal out my 003's...or I've done it with an Tascam 424... I sent it through my trs returns on my snake panned it hard L and used a splitter cable(trs to 2 1/4" ts).Then into a small preamp/di (i used the ART TubeMP) or a small mixer and then sent the signal to the amp. Sounds great in the amp. Then I mic'd with sm57's, e609's, md 421's, or LDC's(distant mic). I ran the sound through a "73 Princeton Reverb. Monitor to get the sound you want, then in protools you mute the incoming mic signal during recording to avoid the amp picking up it's own sound. Sounds fantastic.

You could also you the direct outs of an interface if it has them. Then you don't need to hard pan or use a spliter cable, but still use the preamp/di or mixer to adjust the signal level.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:53 pm

The "Re-amp" box can be had for less than $100 used. I tried working around the impedance problems, but lost it one day, jumped on EBay, had one in under a week. Now I just leave it as an aux send at all times, and have never looked back.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:00 pm

You don't have to have a reamp box. But it helps. I did this on a session this weekend and I have yet to purchase a reamp box. I just soloed the vocals and sent them through an aux/or a sub out. 1/4 cable straight out of the board into a Holy Grail into my Traynor YBA-3 (my amp) I used an AT4033 for my mic on the amp.

You do have to bring the level down if you're not looking for total distortion. I like to mix this with the natural vocal, which can create some phase issues. You have a few options for solving these phase issues if you're working in the digital realm.

A visitor asked when I bought the old-timey mic when he heard the vocal track. He also said it sounded like M. Ward. Although neither were around when we did the vocals.

jackson park
gettin' sounds

Post by jackson park » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:10 pm

I ran the sound through a "73 Princeton Reverb. Monitor to get the sound you want, then in protools you mute the incoming mic signal during recording to avoid the amp picking up it's own sound. Sounds fantastic.
Can you explain in more detail. Not sure what's going on here. Thanks.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:13 am

jackson park wrote:
I ran the sound through a "73 Princeton Reverb. Monitor to get the sound you want, then in protools you mute the incoming mic signal during recording to avoid the amp picking up it's own sound. Sounds fantastic.
Can you explain in more detail. Not sure what's going on here. Thanks.
Ok so if you want to record the signal coming out of protools and back into protools you'll have to mute the incoming signal otherwise you'll create a feedback loop and it'll get real noisy really fast. You can monitor it throught the amp to check levels and sound quality then count on proper micing techniques to capture the sound. If you mute and incoming signal it will still come into protools, you just wont hear it during the recording. It's the same "trick" you use to moniter overdubs on MBOX units without latency.

If you want to avoid this, you'll have to use another source to send the signal to the amp. I've done it with cd players and ipods. Just bounce the vocal part you want and burn a disc or put it on your ipod(make sure you're using a high quality file), then run it through a mixer into the amp. Then you don't have to worry about the feedback loop.

hope that helps!

bronsonmestizo
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by bronsonmestizo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:18 pm

What reamping devices would you guys suggest? (preferences?)

I've had great luck reamping vocals and guitars in the past and don't own a reamping device... Having said that, it's quite easy to overdrive the input of the amp with any instrument (vocal, keys, drums...) if you aren't careful with the output level.

jackson park
gettin' sounds

Post by jackson park » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:42 pm

ottobot: ohhhhh righto righto. carry on.