not-so-ghetto ribbon mic UPDATE!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Yes, regular old "tin foil" works. Our drummer built a ribbon mic with parts " scientifically chosen to be the cheapest". He used some foil and corrugated it with a couple of gears. We were recording a garage tune and employed this mic for the guitar. Low output and dark but, damnit, it works. He has now moved onto using mylar...

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:47 pm

johnny7 wrote:Yes, regular old "tin foil" works. Our drummer built a ribbon mic with parts " scientifically chosen to be the cheapest". He used some foil and corrugated it with a couple of gears. We were recording a garage tune and employed this mic for the guitar. Low output and dark but, damnit, it works. He has now moved onto using mylar...
I've tried mylar too, with mixed results. It's hard to find stuff that is thin enough. Pop tart wrappers work pretty well. They can be inconsistent as far as conductivity goes though. The foil from old caps is much thinner than store aluminum foil. Marik mentioned it a while back... that's where I got the idea to use it.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:52 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:Can someone explain to me how/why that works? Is there something special about using foil from a capacitor? Or would this work with aluminum foil?
The foil from caps is thinner, like a "real" ribbon, so it's much more sensitive than store-bought aluminum foil, and probably purer and a better conductor. Gum wrappers are pretty good too... soak 'em to remove the paper.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:05 am

bendymusic wrote:Cool, but man the new popsicle sticks suck compared to the old Neumann ones. So much more vibe. Too bad the prices are all pegged on the 'bay, you could get some and have yourself a really cool mic.
I've been buying old Martin guitars and cutting them up to make better popsicle sticks. It's expensive, but you get a lot of sticks out of the deal.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:55 am

that's some MacGyver shit, right there. awesome!

BENDYmusic
gettin' sounds

Post by BENDYmusic » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:24 pm

Scodiddly wrote:I've been buying old Martin guitars and cutting them up to make better popsicle sticks. It's expensive, but you get a lot of sticks out of the deal.
Good idea, I was thinking a Stradivarius might work for this? Not sure if the impedance is right. But then anything old should work better even if its totally the wrong thing.

&e
Andy Snavley

Chief Sound Bender
BENDY
http://bendymusic.com/
http://bendysound.com/

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:21 pm

Impressive...
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

qball
pushin' record

Post by qball » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:08 pm

SWEET!!! Let's see a stereo version!
I think women should leave the toilet seat UP!!!

EvMicTech
audio school

Post by EvMicTech » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:10 pm

:D I can't believe the tone coming out of that ribbon