Hanging drywall from ceiling!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Hanging drywall from ceiling!

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:01 pm

I am about to hang some drywall from ceiling. I have some RSCI-1 clips, resiliant channels, and and a bunch of drywall that is two pieces green glued together. I went this website www.soundproofingcompany.com and they had a neat little thing where you could calculate the sq ft of your room to see how many RSCI-1 clips you need. So I calculated my room size and ordered the clips and now I am about to hang them but I am a bit confused how far I am supposed to hang the RSCI-1 clips...

Here is a link to the calculator
http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/ind ... calculator

I did 18 (width) X 26 (length, well it says height bt I am assuming they mean length) and got 468 sq ft, and recommended 86 clips. So how far apart do I hang these?...

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:07 am

First off, make sure you have the correct kind of channel. Normal resilient channel won't work as well with clips, you'll want hat channel instead (which is not what you normally want without clips).

Regarding hanging instructions, I found this on the soundproofingcompany.com site: http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/med ... ctions.pdf

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:06 am

oops I meant to say hat channels not resilient cahnnels. It took me long enough to find the hat channels you'd think I would remember to call them the right name... Anyway thanks for the link, I'll check that out!

losthighway
resurrected

Re: Hanging drywall from ceiling!

Post by losthighway » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:30 pm

InvalidInk wrote:I am about to hang some drywall from ceiling. I have some RSCI-1 clips, resiliant channels, and and a bunch of drywall that is two pieces green glued together. ...
Hey, when you green glued the drywall together did you just apply the stuff and then stack the pieces of dw together and let gravity do the work?

Most green glue instruction show people gluing one piece that's mounted, and then fastening the next piece on top while the glue is still wet. Of course, working with a ceiling it would be handier to get the two pieces together before throwing them up.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:17 pm

yeah we just had one piece on the floor, applied the green glue and like you said let gravity do the work.

JamesHE
steve albini likes it

Re: Hanging drywall from ceiling!

Post by JamesHE » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:26 pm

losthighway wrote:
InvalidInk wrote:I am about to hang some drywall from ceiling. I have some RSCI-1 clips, resiliant channels, and and a bunch of drywall that is two pieces green glued together. ...
Hey, when you green glued the drywall together did you just apply the stuff and then stack the pieces of dw together and let gravity do the work?

Most green glue instruction show people gluing one piece that's mounted, and then fastening the next piece on top while the glue is still wet. Of course, working with a ceiling it would be handier to get the two pieces together before throwing them up.
I'd rather hang a ceiling twice with half inch drywall than to do it once with 1" think drywall... unless I had a lift or a whole bunch of hands. If you do go for it.

also I would think that staggering the joints between the 2 layers would be worthwhile.
a spoon full weighs a ton

http://soundcloud.com/james-eure

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:27 am

Good point. I am gearing up to do smaller pieces between the joists, but now that you mention it, your logic is definitely the best for doing whole pieces on the ceiling and the walls. Staggering the joints is also a pretty smart idea.

stuntbutt
pushin' record

Post by stuntbutt » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:18 pm

Does GG recommend "pre-glueing" like that? At $30+ per sheet I'd think you would want to do it right!

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:28 am

I've done quite a bit of research since i posted this. Preglueing it is fine, it causes no problems. When putting up the drywall you do wanna stagger it.

I thought about cutting up the dry wall and putting it in between the joists, but that seemed like waay to much work and the way I am doing it is more effective for sound isolation.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:29 pm

Tell us how it works when you're done. I have a similar project at home and I am trying to get is much information as possible.

Do you have insulation in the ceiling above your drywall?

How much space did the hat channel and the double layer take up?

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:09 pm

It's not quite up yet, but I will most definitely keep you guys up to date with whats going on, hopefully with pictures too.